Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:51 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I'm married to a photography professor. When he's flying with gear, he's proactive as heck about being able to claim proper bin space and plane tickets are booked with that in mind.
As am I. My wife moans that that is the only way I am organised - she's is right of course, as are all wives, by default. I've usually got two cameras and several lenses - one medium format digital and the other a full frame mirrorless. Often get stopped for secondary screening at many airports so I always get to the airport in good time, and leave lounges early in places like FRA or TXL where security is at the gate...what I love is when I proactively start taking some of my gear out, and they tell me not to bother, and then after screening, tehy ask me to take out the items they told me not to ...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
As am I. My wife moans that that is the only way I am organised - she's is right of course, as are all wives, by default. I've usually got two cameras and several lenses - one medium format digital and the other a full frame mirrorless. Often get stopped for secondary screening at many airports so I always get to the airport in good time, and leave lounges early in places like FRA or TXL where security is at the gate...what I love is when I proactively start taking some of my gear out, and they tell me not to bother, and then after screening, tehy ask me to take out the items they told me not to ...
As somebody who frequently travels in safety boots I can relate to this experience. I used to start taking my boots off, get told to leave them on then get chastised when they set the metal detector or body scanner off. Now I just insist on taking them off regardless.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by lameizi
Yes, You!!!
So how was your experience on Uzbekistan Airways?

M
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by alex67500
Unfortunately some agents need to be let go! This is outrageous. Do they not know who we are?
Haha, we do say that in jest but BA actually lost some customers through agents' conduct like this.

Not me personally, as I appear to be near-invisible to agents but there was a really nice, polite gentleman who got picked on like this and he told me later that this kind of thing was the reason why he cut right back on BA because it upset him. Not in a DYKWIA way, but he said found confrontational attitude from the agents quite unpleasant and he didn't want to put up with it too often.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
As somebody who frequently travels in safety boots I can relate to this experience. I used to start taking my boots off, get told to leave them on then get chastised when they set the metal detector or body scanner off. Now I just insist on taking them off regardless.
I get the opposite. My safety boots have ceramic toe caps and shanks which do not cause an issue. Yet security are surprised when I do not set the scanners off. At least most of my flights are in Australia where they are used to PPE on flights.
LTN Phobia and mickeyjaw like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
At least most of my flights are in Australia where they are used to PPE on flights.
PPE the mining version, rather than the Oxford version, I assume...
T8191 and 'andad like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
I get the opposite. My safety boots have ceramic toe caps and shanks which do not cause an issue. Yet security are surprised when I do not set the scanners off. At least most of my flights are in Australia where they are used to PPE on flights.
My latest pair have composite caps and shanks so they don't set the metal detectors off, however the millimetre wave scanners still seem to have a problem with them.

In any case I tend to find that the person before the scanners tells me to leave them on then the person after makes me take them off, fusses and then wants a pat-down of my feet. So off they come regardless...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BA gold
removed.

Last edited by Stez; Oct 5, 2018 at 12:29 pm Reason: clearly not appreciated...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:23 am

Can we get back to DYKWIA? And not DYKWMBA?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Can we get back to DYKWIA? And not DYKWMBA?
and what makes you think you're so special?

oh, right...
PAL62V likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
So how was your experience on Uzbekistan Airways?

M
Excellent, thank you. And especially since Norwich is now their European hub. Medium Turkish coffees in SH J.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by lameizi
Who is the DYKWIA in ur post?
Don't worry, the thread has an honourable history of the perp in the tale being shamed

And indeed, quite often the poster is self-elevated to DYKWIA status as (typically) he sits in 1A with a glass of champagne while the queue-jumper slinks past, through the curtain and into oblivion.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
....My last BD redemption was BRU-FRA on LH followed by FRA-SIN-SYD in SQ Business

.....a LH Senator strode up to the desk and loudly proclaimed his status meant he should jump the queue and be seen immediately.

There's something of a not-unreasonable understanding that Senators travelling on Lufthansa will get well looked after in the event of any sort of operational problem. Without belittling your position, I'd imagine rescuing a non-M&M passenger on a redemption flight fuelled with BD miles would not be high on the list of priorities when push comes to shove in reassigning flights.

It doesn't seem too terrible to expect this: i imagine that most GCH would hope to be favoured over, say, Malaysian Enrich OWE when things go awry on a BA service.

Taking your version of events, the Senator's behaviour appeared boorish. But it really is worth remembering that the reasons behind journeys are many, and the urgency involved can be high. Heart attacks hit parents, kids get hospitalised and homes get flooded.

When these things happen, it's easy to forget the the niceties of orderly queues; and that's when you're going to pull whatever strings you have available to get attention.

So perhaps it's best to give the boorish some slack. There may come a day when you need to shout a bit to get attention.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Don't worry, the thread has an honourable history of the perp in the tale being shamed

And indeed, quite often the poster is self-elevated to DYKWIA status as (typically) he sits in 1A with a glass of champagne while the queue-jumper slinks past, through the curtain and into oblivion.

There's something of a not-unreasonable understanding that Senators travelling on Lufthansa will get well looked after in the event of any sort of operational problem. Without belittling your position, I'd imagine rescuing a non-M&M passenger on a redemption flight fuelled with BD miles would not be high on the list of priorities when push comes to shove in reassigning flights.

It doesn't seem too terrible to expect this: i imagine that most GCH would hope to be favoured over, say, Malaysian Enrich OWE when things go awry on a BA service.

Taking your version of events, the Senator's behaviour appeared boorish. But it really is worth remembering that the reasons behind journeys are many, and the urgency involved can be high. Heart attacks hit parents, kids get hospitalised and homes get flooded.

When these things happen, it's easy to forget the the niceties of orderly queues; and that's when you're going to pull whatever strings you have available to get attention.

So perhaps it's best to give the boorish some slack. There may come a day when you need to shout a bit to get attention.
I am deserving, they are entitled, he is boorish?

Based on OP telling it was the continued attempts that made it DYKWIA for me - try it (understandably), if you get dinged take your medicine
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

I am deserving, they are entitled, he is boorish?

Based on OP telling it was the continued attempts that made it DYKWIA for me - try it (understandably), if you get dinged take your medicine
I said boorish and I meant boorish.

I simply suggest that there might be complex reasons behind boorishness, so perhaps better to take a more generous, less priggish, view of others' behaviour - conscious that one day you might be the squeaking wheel that needs oiling.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:39 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
As it happens, in the last few weeks I have needed that help for a family emergency - but I certainly didn't jump up and down or throw my toys out of the pram. I asked nicely what the position was for coming home early, in return BA took care of me, and I was incredibly grateful and told the agent so. You'll excuse me if your last line therefore hit a bit of a nerve.

So actually I don't believe there's any excuse for behaving like that in a situation where's there's hundreds of people with their own problems, certainly to the extent of just butting in when someone else was being served.

I guess we're all cut from slightly different cloth.
lorcancoyle, PAL62V, wrp96 and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.