Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Indeed, I completely sympathise.

Though I sometimes travel with a gentleman who likes to put on a full First class kit (including pyjamas, slippers, pashmina, eye cover) and then wonder down the back of 747 promenading like a stallion... @Charlie26r
With his Liberty First washbag tightly clenched under his arm?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Though I sometimes travel with a gentleman who likes to put on a full First class kit (including pyjamas, slippers, pashmina, eye cover) and then wonder down the back of 747 promenading like a stallion... @Charlie26r
I understand! I myself like to take a wander through the slums of Y...usually about 14 hours into a 16 hour TPAC... so I can see them jumbled up all over the cabin, legs poking out into the aisle, wincing faces contorted with discomfort, trying to grab any space they can leaning on the windows or doing yoga in the galley, the stench of waste wafting from the steaming lavs, and the looks of envious hate thrown at me fueling an inner schadenfreude that tickles me, reminding me of the fact that F travel is not so much about what you get, it's about what you avoid. No premium class travel is worth it without savoring the envy of the Y pax.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL

You're just jealous because he makes DYKWIA look good!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Silver

Does PUCCI know he has borrowed her pashmina?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Must have boarded 3 passengers on a flight from JFK to LAX when boarding was abruptly stopped. The plane had been taken out of service (assume technical issue). One guy went crazy at the gate agent shouting that he deserves better treatment and that this wasn’t how an airline should be etc and why didn’t they know how long the delay would be.

I felt sorry for the agents but made my way back to the lounge to get on standby for the next flight.

Within 5 minutes AA found another plane at a different gate. Everyone avoided the DYKWIA.

We departed an hour late but arrived only 30 minutes behind schedule.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
A tale I wouldn’t believe was true. I am on DEL flight (a very rare occasion of me flying in F). A gentleman across an aisle from me summons a cabin crew member, waves to his plate (admittedly untouched), and says: “I don’t feel like having the main course. Would you send it to the back for guys in the economy to enjoy it?”. An awkward pause followed with a brilliant response: “Why, of course. Would you like me to bring their leftovers to you, Sir?”

I still can’t quite wrap my head around this episode. Was that an awkward attempt to engage in a friendly banter or the said gentleman truly believes BA routinely starves their economy passenger to death. I am leaning towards a joke, but thought I’d report it here.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I understand! I myself like to take a wander through the slums of Y...usually about 14 hours into a 16 hour TPAC... so I can see them jumbled up all over the cabin, legs poking out into the aisle, wincing faces contorted with discomfort, trying to grab any space they can leaning on the windows or doing yoga in the galley, the stench of waste wafting from the steaming lavs, and the looks of envious hate thrown at me fueling an inner schadenfreude that tickles me, reminding me of the fact that F travel is not so much about what you get, it's about what you avoid. No premium class travel is worth it without savoring the envy of the Y pax.
As someone who is familiar with both the Y and J cabins, the humour quoted is imaginative but not necessarily appreciated. When sitting amongst the great unwashed I find on average a far more tolerant and appreciative pax and the behaviour in Y could certainly be used to good effect when showing examples of how to behave on an aircraft to the DYKWIAs you find at the pointy end. Thankfully when in J, I am separated from the lowly behaviour of said premium pax by the larger seats and dividing screens. Imagine having to sit next to people like that for 12 hours. Ugh.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Dupuit couldn't have put it better himself!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I have it on good authority that a recent LHR/OTP flight went tech and was due to be cancelled. However, on looking at the passengers due to travel (large contingent of GGL and Gold with large CE cabin) BA kindly found them another aircraft.

Certainly a case of BAKWTA. However, many would have preferred the cancellation.

Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by luitje
A tale I wouldn’t believe was true. I am on DEL flight (a very rare occasion of me flying in F). A gentleman across an aisle from me summons a cabin crew member, waves to his plate (admittedly untouched), and says: “I don’t feel like having the main course. Would you send it to the back for guys in the economy to enjoy it?”. An awkward pause followed with a brilliant response: “Why, of course. Would you like me to bring their leftovers to you, Sir?”

I still can’t quite wrap my head around this episode. Was that an awkward attempt to engage in a friendly banter or the said gentleman truly believes BA routinely starves their economy passenger to death. I am leaning towards a joke, but thought I’d report it here.
Oh my, what a perfect, beautiful response! Credit to the CC for being so quick-witted to think up a response like this in real-time ^
LTN Phobia, Thomathy, bil and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
So, we’re a family of four standing at the front of the Club World check-in queue at IAH (Houston) when woman arrives with daughter loudly announcing her presence in the otherwise empty F queue next door. Lots of chunter about flying, bags being a nuisance etc etc - so we could all hear. The check-in desks are marked as F, CW and then a couple for everyone else. An ‘everyone else’ desk becomes free, but I don’t get called over, which is fine, I wait and until the CW desk is free and we are waved forward. However said lady in F queue makes a bolt for it too! Oblivious to her movement however, my wife and son are ahead and start to check in. Me and teenage daughter get a 'well really!' and she actually points at the 'First' sign she's standing next to! I shrug, daughter laughs and we carry on.

While we're checking in, the F desk becomes free and she approaches. Agent greets them: "You're travelling in First?", lady, smiles her answer "Yes, we are". We are then subjected to the fussiest check-in from a pax I've ever seen. She was directing which labels had to go on which bags to the poor staff member, with the 'short connection' labels applied to all, despite the agent querying this as she wasn't on a BA connection at LHR.

Finally, the laugh out loud moment came when she carefully explained to the agent that she hadn't had time to reserve her normal seats as she doesn't 'fly American very often' (sic). The agent confirms she's in 11D. Club bloody World, next to us in fact, as we have 10 and 11 A/B. She then explains that she really needs a window seat (none are available). Interestingly the agent does not appear to mention to her that she is not in F.

Later, on a shopping trip from the lounge, we see her waving her BP at the gate staff, presumably the penny dropped about what class she was actually in when she tried to access the F lounge.

She was fine on the flight actually, which wasn’t great as the un-refurbished 777 had several failures, IFE off for two hours, lights full on the entire time (on a night flight) and the seatbelt sign also stuck on for the entire flight. I’m sure it would have been better in F on American or wherever she thought she should have been…
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Oh my, what a perfect, beautiful response! Credit to the CC for being so quick-witted to think up a response like this in real-time ^
Surely these are the moments for the legendary "golden tickets" - must be worth a whole lot more than those golden orbs handed out by Hollywood!
(And as an added plus, you get to announce who you are. After all, not everyone has golden tickets to hand out!)
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I have a good one from a few years back that I’ve totally forgotten about!

2hr delay on a (pre CE times) LCY-GLA and one particular gentleman gets a bit too sozzled. Jumps boarding queue and is generally making an arse of himself in the boarding area. Boards and he’s in 4D, I’m in 2D. A BA Captain comes and sits beside me in 2C. Mr Sozzled is having none of it and barges forward, insisting that he sits in 2C because the pilot ‘didn’t even pay’. Much to my dismay Captain politely moves and makes no fuss.

On the flight Mr Sozzled is fed numerous bottles of whisky and wine (please BA crew stop serving obviously inibreated individuals, not the first time this has happened in front of me). On landing we are told that there’s a delay getting the jet bridge attached and he goes absolutely apes*** as he has to get to a meeting (at 11pm?). Finally, after the door was opened he yanked his briefcase out of the overhead locker and whacked me over the shoulder.

He then ran off the plane and turned towards Gates 18-21 rather than the exit. Small victories I guess.
Keystone and DocWatson like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I had a front row seat to a DYKWIA at the end of boarding of yesterday evening’s BA last TXL-LHR flight, a man and his partner kicking off because they’d asked for AUP at the desks and again at the gate and were told the CE was full, only to see (as they were last to board perhaps to check the facts) two empty seats, 1D next to me and 4C at the back of the 4 row CE cabin.

Firstly he started demanding with the CC to be upgraded and then the CC asked the ground staff for him who told him no upgrades were available.

Unfortunately, the CSD eventually gave in (likely in the interests in an on time departure) and the guy in 4D was moved to 1D to make room for the couple, effectively upgrading them for free.

They of course hadn’t been properly catered for either- they got a main meal but no desert.

It is of course possible that he regularly buys cheap Y seats and AUPs so revenue protection have put them on the no AUP list, or perhaps there was a no-show.

I’d love to have been able to say the moral of the story was that if you want to fly in J that much, book J, but it would appear that making a scene on this occasion was successful.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
LHR T5 First Wing Guest services desk just now. A rather irate gentleman explaining in no uncertain terms his upset at not being allowed through 30 minutes before his TATL flight departed, “even though it’ll only take him 5 minutes to get through.”

He also explained repeatedly that he was GGL, he’d write to Mr Cruz, he’d never fly BA again, and that it was this poor staff members fault (who remained incredibly polite and apologetic throughout).

If you fly that much, surely you’d know the conformance times, right?
wrp96, THO and argonath like this.

Last edited by travellingwigbury; Sep 16, 2018 at 10:18 am Reason: corrected typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.