Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
HEH @ that last one...if you were that important to BA, you'd be GGL and your wife would have the Partner Gold (if not Gold of her own...) to get the whole family into the Flounge: the fact they have a level of elite qualification would actually allow you to do the thing you're trying to do tells you they've thought about it...it's not just some omission or outrage that a GCH can't guest 3 people into the Flounge!
Hah Yep, I also know that occasionally there's success in blagging but not during the school holidays. GF was packed with families that day.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by mtikky
Met with the makings of a DYKWIA moment this morning..

Cue someone sat a few rows back in CE (I'd bagged 1D somehow - not bad for a Bronze) ranting and raving about how it was all BA's fault and that he had an important business meeting and apparently those who fly the orange Buses were running fine!.
I doubt those in the 'Orange Busses' would be inclined to agree with him. Checking the LGW Ops App a little while ago BA had canx 2 flights today and EZ/ U2 had canx 16 so I imagine many more of the OB crowd would be saying "you wouldn't get this on BA" rather than the other way around
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Zeedo
Hah Yep, I also know that occasionally there's success in blagging but not during the school holidays. GF was packed with families that day.
Little Miss Ratypus turns 2 soon - so our days of being able to all get into the Flounge are numbered...off to GC courtesy of Mrs R being Silver at least...
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Zeedo
Morale is DYKWIAs are people too, try to tame a wild one if you come across them.
That is a lovely way of thinking!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mtikky
I'm glad I don't wear a suit if that's what it does to you...
It doesn't. You should see me in t-shirt and jeans!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by LCY8737
It doesn't. You should see me in t-shirt and jeans!
Says me, currently sat in the lounge in AMS wearing T-shirt and jeans :-D
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
BA8736 this evening: Grumpy looking middle aged businessman (yes, in a suit) sees the very long Group 1 queue (it's the thing with FRA flights, more Golds than healthy) and decides he is not having any of it. Pushes aside the tensa barrier and gets to the front of the queue.

Now, this being a Frankfurt flight on a Friday evening, after an earlier Lufthansa cancellation, the flight is full of Germans. So none of the usual passive aggressive low toned complaining, instead the orderly queue disintegrates, people start pushing in from both sides.

Everybody on board now. The offending chap is seated in 1B, so at least he was Group 1.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:38 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Not quite on BA, but on a QR flight at check-in in BCN. There was a DYKICO

None of the check-in desks are open at 3 hours before departure. The check-in agents started coming one by one, and were given a long briefing by the station supervisor. People started queuing behind the entrance to the priority line, which wasn't quite open. I joined the queue thinking that today may be quite elite heavy. Being third in a line that is starting to get quite long, a man approached me and the following exchange happened:
Man: What is the queue for?
Me: We're waiting for check-in to open.
Man: Yes, but what is the queue for?
Me: (confused by his question) Check-in mate
Man: Yes, but you see, I already checked-in online, so I don't need to queue, can you let me in?
Me: I'm afraid it doesn't work that way, anyways check-in isn't even open.
Man: Yes, but I already did online check-in, so I have priority.

I was dumbfounded (and really wanted to say that this is the Business Class line but saved myself from a DYWKIA moment) and tried to ignore him. So he left.
5 minutes later, they opened check-in, and the Business/Priority, and Economy lines though the bag drop line remained closed. Interestingly, practically everyone shifted to the Economy line as the line opened, but wasn't yet served. I was to enter the Priority line before, lo and behold, our old friend reappears and lets himself past me. I let him through to face the agent, and the following happened:
Agent: What class are you flying?
Man: I did online check-in, so I can go to the priority line.
Agent: Sir, again, what class are you flying?!
Man: Economy but I did online- (the agent cut him off and barked)
Agent: Sir, this is the priority check-in for our Business Class and elite customers! Please move to the economy class line and you will be served there! (by this time the economy line stretched to the terminal entrance)
Man: But, I-
Agent: No buts, you go there.
Needless to say, I was awestruck by his relentlessness, and I even managed to caught sight of him giving me the evil eye as he left and as I was being checked-in.
The man relented and went to the economy line where he tried to cut past the queue before being sent back by the supervisor.

The agent turned out to be very cynical. As I was being checked-in, a person flying Vueling asked her where the Vueling check-in and she said, "no, this is Qatar Airways Business Class, you go to centre of terminal". The person just left without saying anything, and she exclaimed "YOU'RE WELCOME".

As she finished my check-in formalities, I said my thanks and wished her a good day - at least that made her smile - the flight turned out to be very very light in J

Last edited by clubeurope; Oct 12, 2018 at 5:53 pm Reason: corrected some grammatical errors
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Boarding almost complete on a flight from MAD > AMS when this gobby American lady makes her way down the aisle and starts whining that there is no room for her precious carry on bag in the overhead bins. She picks up some guy's coat and shouts ''Overhead bins are for bags, not coats! Come on work with me people'' like she's addressing the whole cabin. Incredible stuff. The guy who's jacket she's holding looks stunned and tells her he folded it and put it on top of his case before she finally pushed a few bags together and squeezed hers in. I should have told her ''Don't worry, I'll make you famous on FT in a few hours"
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
One of our American* Cousins showboating for all to see, I won't hear a word of it?!

( *Other nationalities may also showboat as the thread clearly shows)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:56 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Boarding almost complete on a flight from MAD > AMS when this gobby American lady makes her way down the aisle and starts whining that there is no room for her precious carry on bag in the overhead bins. She picks up some guy's coat and shouts ''Overhead bins are for bags, not coats! Come on work with me people'' like she's addressing the whole cabin. Incredible stuff. The guy who's jacket she's holding looks stunned and tells her he folded it and put it on top of his case before she finally pushed a few bags together and squeezed hers in. I should have told her ''Don't worry, I'll make you famous on FT in a few hours"
Probably an AA flight attendant ...

I actually quite like their way of going about things - one thing’s for certain, you’re in no doubt who’s in charge when they start making room in the overhead!
alex67500, Saint4805 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Probably an AA flight attendant ...

I actually quite like their way of going about things - one thing’s for certain, you’re in no doubt who’s in charge when they start making room in the overhead!
Could well have been The KLM flight attendants would have been well within their rights to ask her to dial it down as she was loud and disrespectful to the guy whose coat she grabbed and was causing a scene.

I like flight attendants who manage to combine authority with a fun and humorous vibe which isn't always easy to find.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Blue
Probably not quite a DYKWIA but travelling from MAN-LHR a couple of days ago, the gentleman travelling in 1A was the last to board. He opened up the overhead and took out the bag and hat box that were in there in order to put his own case in.

He then proceeded to unsuccessfully try and ram the other items in which it became clear belonged to a member of the cabin crew. Said cabin crew member then came and took the items from the gentleman and began looking for somewhere else to store them.

What amazed me was that this was not a case of somebody making a fuss. There were no words exchanged at all. The guy just assumed he had the right to remove somebody else's possessions and place his luggage in their place because he was in 1A and wanted his bag right above him. I know some people get frustrated at crew using the overhead but it just struck me as incredibly rude to remove somebody else's bags to make space for your own without even asking them.

On my return yesterday evening I was also amazed by the number of people who seem to get personally offended when one item of their carry on is given the yellow tag.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by ConfusedByBAEC
On my return yesterday evening I was also amazed by the number of people who seem to get personally offended when one item of their carry on is given the yellow tag.
That's why most people here would rather keep an emergency exit seat than take an upgrade to CE. I remember the agent at boarding hearing the beep, asking me whether I'm happy in an emergency exit seat, and then ask that I put a yellow tag on my laptop bag. I made a weird face, he realised the sequence of events, and sent on my way wishing me a good flight (to which I of course answered, "Thank you, you too"...)
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:06 am

What I find ironic is when I am asked to stow my laptop rucksack under the seat in front of me after having already paid a fee to check a larger bag into the hold. Those who choose not to pay the fee essentially get priority in the overhead bins and more leg room as their suitcases are too big to put under the seat in front of them. I know planes have to depart on time but surely it would make more sense to give another coloured tag to those who have paid the fee while elite tier members can attach their tier tags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.