Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by LCY8737

I don't think appearances necessarily translate into what queue someone belongs in. When I return from a holiday I tend to look as scruffy as they come, when I go on a business trip, I tend to be in a suit. Funny thing is that me in a suit usually means Y travel, and scruffy means premium cabin.
Spot on - the sheer number of times people cut in front of me because I look scruffy in airports - doesn't particularly bother me, wait and smile - we all get on the plane in the end
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by LCY8737

I don't think appearances necessarily translate into what queue someone belongs in. When I return from a holiday I tend to look as scruffy as they come, when I go on a business trip, I tend to be in a suit. Funny thing is that me in a suit usually means Y travel, and scruffy means premium cabin.
I’m very much at the scruffy end of the spectrum myself! I mean solely by number - e.g. a Saturday evening DUB-LHR flight and the Group 1 queue being 30 pax long. It makes me cock an eyebrow (metaphorically), whereas a Saturday morning the day of an away 6 Nations game wouldn’t be unexpected.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I follow assorted athletes on twitter, and there are many a story of an athlete headed off to a world championships or other big meet who manages to escape cattle class on that ticket only to have someone make assumptions them for looking scruffy in a track suit .
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I follow assorted athletes on twitter, and there are many a story of an athlete headed off to a world championships or other big meet who manages to escape cattle class on that ticket only to have someone make assumptions them for looking scruffy in a track suit .
Bedint. A blazer and club tie would be in order.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Chris9642
Just witnessed some interesting behaviour at the GLA check in - it’s a bit of a zoo here today with a blocked baggage belt and quite a few departures in quick succession - the check in queue is running back around behind the escalators but only a handful of us in the Club Check In (which was nice) - a lady has just stormed by to the front of Club queue demanding to know if we are all Club passengers and shouting ‘clearly business class means nothing these days’ 🤣 !
"Clearly not, when they allow people like you to fly in Club."
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Sometimes we just can't escape our upbringing...

I recently rolled up at JFK T7 for an F flight home and there was quite a line for the security.

As a GGL, I was offered the option of being taken to the front of the line, but my British "not wanting to make a fuss" gene kicked in so I politely declined.

I then stood there quietly seething as a number of other people gladly accepted a similar offer and made me wait 5 minutes longer than I otherwise would have

Once I got into the CCR and had a nice glass of bubbly though, all was soon right again with the world
juakkers likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

I do have my doubts about eligibility at times when Group 1 queues (for certain flights) are very long, but what sort of demented, maladjusted individual translates such thoughts into speech?!

(it does mean I take quiet pleasure when people are dinged to the back of the Group 3 queue...)

I do find it amazing how many d***eys seem to think they're in group 1. Staff need to 'police' this better.
I've almost had my very own DYWIA moments when these people are blocking my path. It's so disorderly, unsightly and improper.
Instead one of these days I'll just shout 'group 1 coming through' with people stepping aside.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Indeed... a while ago waiting for a check-in desk - I clearly waited a few seconds longer than is acceptable, someone raced in front to the desk. Somewhat aghast I turned to the person behind saying something along the lines of "he must be in a hurry!" a reply came in a very strong German accent "no - he is just very rude!" :-)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: BA, JAL
I experienced a remarkable DYKWHI (Do You Know Who He is) moment when I traveled WAW-AMS on LO J a few years back. A couple hundred people held back until I boarded first, having approached from the lounge. Never seen anything quite like it - someone had obviously radioed ahead as I was the only person in business that day. That felt pretty special. Similarly in AUH-CMB EY J passing through the special entrance and staff taking luggage through security past queues flowing onto outside, was a very good situation as well. I prefer to sit back and see these priveleges rather than request them. A bit of decorum serves well obviously.

But I don't like when people, assume no one else is priveleged and rush past. I have many similar experiences to those mentioned above by others. If I'm with a travel companion we can obviously have a little joke about it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I recall travelling in F DXB-LHR and they do proper fast track of premium passengers. You get assigned a dedicated person who essentially speed marches you though every process - it's quite a challenge to keep up!

The bit I liked best was being given a buggy after all the security / passport checks and being asked if I wanted to go shopping or straight to the lounge. I said lounge (in hindsight I should have seen if they would drive me around all the shops or just drop me off in the IDL). Cue all these people staring at me in a "who the heck is she getting her own buggy ride" manner. Great fun!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I recall travelling in F DXB-LHR and they do proper fast track of premium passengers. You get assigned a dedicated person who essentially speed marches you though every process - it's quite a challenge to keep up!

The bit I liked best was being given a buggy after all the security / passport checks and being asked if I wanted to go shopping or straight to the lounge. I said lounge (in hindsight I should have seen if they would drive me around all the shops or just drop me off in the IDL). Cue all these people staring at me in a "who the heck is she getting her own buggy ride" manner. Great fun!
Are you sure about that ?

I have a feeling this service may have been discontinued, at least for BA F pax. When I came back from DXB recently it was a nightmare getting through the queues and even though I checked in a case there was no suggestion at the desk of any assistance

Still, at least now I don't feel bad about never going to Dubai again
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Are you sure about that ?

I have a feeling this service may have been discontinued, at least for BA F pax. When I came back from DXB recently it was a nightmare getting through the queues and even though I checked in a case there was no suggestion at the desk of any assistance

Still, at least now I don't feel bad about never going to Dubai again
It was a couple of years ago. Maybe it has been discontinued. I haven't been back for a good while because the friend I used to visit (my only reason for setting foot in the place) has moved back to the UK.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
I do find it amazing how many d***eys seem to think they're in group 1. Staff need to 'police' this better.
I've almost had my very own DYWIA moments when these people are blocking my path. It's so disorderly, unsightly and improper.
Instead one of these days I'll just shout 'group 1 coming through' with people stepping aside.
On my recent LHR-JFK flight, the policing was very strict and they did not allow anyone other than Group 1 to use group 1 lane. Many people tried and Group 1 line at one point seemed very long, but most were sent back to the lanes they actually belonged. It was very interesting to watch how some people act ignorant, some act entitled to group 1 line in spite of their BP saying otherwise. For the record, I was in my Group 2 lane as per my BP, even though my final BP was for Group 1 . Always wonder, why we wait and spend so much time in the airport at checkin, security, lounge etc but can't wait few more seconds to board
tynmar likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Sometimes we just can't escape our upbringing...

I recently rolled up at JFK T7 for an F flight home and there was quite a line for the security.

As a GGL, I was offered the option of being taken to the front of the line, but my British "not wanting to make a fuss" gene kicked in so I politely declined.

I then stood there quietly seething as a number of other people gladly accepted a similar offer and made me wait 5 minutes longer than I otherwise would have

Once I got into the CCR and had a nice glass of bubbly though, all was soon right again with the world
I was behind Paul McCartney at JFK immigration once and he declined the offer to be moved to the top of the queue. Only one person ahead of him, but still made me think more highly of him.
LTN Phobia, spamman808 and Bcla like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:55 pm
Suspended

I was once dressed to the 9's for a meeting I had to be at after my flight. The plan was to go from the plane to the meeting, and I had no time to change. So I was in a full suit and tie.

I was actually flying in regular old Y that day, on a flight of no more than an hour. When I got into the line at PHX for security, an old TSA woman pulled me out of line and told me that "First Class is over here, Sir". So I went into the F line . The agent working the desk rolled his eyes when he saw my BP, but he also saw the woman pull me out of line so he didn't send me back.

Only in PHX...where a full suit is as rare as a pink sapphire. Had I been dressed as a local...wife beater, ed hardy shirt, De-Walt wrap around glasses..I would have not been pulled out.
RollAnotherFatOne and TWCLAM like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.