Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:19 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
People respond to the strains of air transport, and the personal stress that can come with the reasons for travel, in different ways. Some of these behaviours are funny, others simply bizarre.

Reporting them here gives a smile, and perhaps reminds us that none of us is immune from providing such displays. Indeed, the self-deprecating reports of readers’ very own bouts DYKWIA behaviour are often the funniest of these reports.

However, a narrator glorying in spiteful behaviour to individuals who have caused no harm, belittling them from a position of privilege in front of their family, makes me uneasy. I certainly wouldn't delight in it. It’s simply not the sort of style I’d like to see promoted as acceptable in FT.

I can see that this view might colour me as po-faced. But that really isn’t me
I'm with you.

The use of derogatory pejoratives such as "Gammon" and the element of rubbing noses in it afterwards moves it beyond light-hearted deprecation and into the realms of being slightly vindictive, IMO. It shouldn't have a place here.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
However, a narrator glorying in spiteful behaviour to individuals who have caused no harm,
Seriously? No harm, Do lounge staff enjoy being shouted at then?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Christian K
[left]

So only because the passenger in question didn’t understand the - to be fair - relatively confusing access rules with QR he is considered a DYKWIA?
I think it's how he presented his dissatisfaction and his (mistaken) belief that he was entitled to access the lounge, rather than his (mistaken) belief itself that rendered him a DYKWIA.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by V10
I'm with you.

The use of derogatory pejoratives such as "Gammon" and the element of rubbing noses in it afterwards moves it beyond light-hearted deprecation and into the realms of being slightly vindictive, IMO. It shouldn't have a place here.
I totally agree. "Gammon" is fast becoming a racist term just as bad as other terms here that would not be tolerated. I can also see why the passenger would have been confused, but no need for him to be abusive to the staff to the point where he was almost offloaded.
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:01 am
xdh

Programs: BD*G
Originally Posted by lhrpete
I looked up, smiled, wished him good evening and sang the praises of QR and how marvellous the service was unable to resist adding that I had been relaxing and had dinner in the lounge and was now ready for sleep to which he grunted and all the more as he was eased to one side as a crew member brought me a cold towel and pjs.

IAN-UK, DYKWIA and BadgerBoi like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:03 am

Overheard at the reception in the CPT SLOW lounge this morning, pre-BA6428 to JNB: "But I'm a DJ."
shefgab likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:18 am

...Reporting them here gives a smile, and perhaps reminds us that none of us is immune from providing such displays. Indeed, the self-deprecating reports of readers’ very own bouts DYKWIA behaviour are often the funniest of these reports...
Maybe this thread acts as a container for the split-off parts of ourselves that perhaps like to feel important, but that we may be uncomfortable with, so we locate these aspects in other people and put them here, where they can be safely mocked and we can distance ourselves from. As such this thread is popular and pleasurable - it is them, not us!
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
My husband has just gone off on a trip/TP run. I told him to be polite to people because I don’t want to be reading about him on FT. I think this thread makes me more aware of my own behaviour.
Cris L, Scots_Al, T8191 and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
However, a narrator glorying in spiteful behaviour to individuals who have caused no harm, belittling them from a position of privilege in front of their family, makes me uneasy. I certainly wouldn't delight in it. It’s simply not the sort of style I’d like to see promoted as acceptable in FT.

I can see that this view might colour me as po-faced. But that really isn’t me
May I suggest that you are taking this and possibly yourself all a bit too seriously? The poster in question poked a little fun back at a man who had been pretty awful and to a point threatening to lounge staff in that poster's hearing and vision. If I'm sitting in business and Y passengers are passing by on boarding I often have a laugh and joke with them too, it's called good humour not spiteful or anything similar. Perhaps instead I should be po-faced and look down on them from my 'position of privilege'?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Overheard at the reception in the CPT SLOW lounge this morning, pre-BA6428 to JNB: "But I'm a DJ."
Definitely not a misheard 'But I'm in J?'
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
May I suggest that you are taking this and possibly yourself all a bit too seriously? The poster in question poked a little fun back at a man who had been pretty awful and to a point threatening to lounge staff in that poster's hearing and vision. If I'm sitting in business and Y passengers are passing by on boarding I often have a laugh and joke with them too, it's called good humour not spiteful or anything similar. Perhaps instead I should be po-faced and look down on them from my 'position of privilege'?
Without wishing to labour the point, I felt that there was an element of unpleasantness in the telling of that particular tale that is not normally present in this thread.
djbenedict likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Definitely not a misheard 'But I'm in J?'
Ha! That would almost be permissible. No, this was definitely a DYKWIA of the DJs Complaining variety.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I normally like this thread. However, when folk criticise a poster, who has posted a story in their own way, whatever the faults in the eye of the person criticising, unless the bit being criticised would be deemed horrible in any culture, it would be better to keep the criticism to yourself.

The poster posted a funny story. A classic of DYKWIA. The poster's comments later in the post might not be in everyone's taste. Luckily, we all have different tastes.
Dover2Golf and lloydah like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I normally like this thread. However, when folk criticise a poster, who has posted a story in their own way, whatever the faults in the eye of the person criticising, unless the bit being criticised would be deemed horrible in any culture, it would be better to keep the criticism to yourself.

The poster posted a funny story. A classic of DYKWIA. The poster's comments later in the post might not be in everyone's taste. Luckily, we all have different tastes.
Exactly. FT is an internet chat room and this particular thread designed for amusing situations. For those easily offended then there are other more factual threads. The individual can't be identified barring a repeat of the 'breakfast' chain.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:31 am

Mistaken gender address ("Hello Mr..." to a transitioned American woman) at check-in (JNB-CPT) led to a double DWKWIA ruckus last week.

It all went rapidly downhill after the initial greeting. From the snippets I overheard, standing behind her, pax's US passport had an updated photo, but the gender marker had not yet been updated via the Gender Designation Change process.

It was a double DYKWIA because:
1) She's very, very, VERY well known back home apparently, and this kind of behaviour just WOULDN'T FLY (no pun intended!) in the US.
2) Don't You Know What I Am?

I felt a bit conflicted, to be honest; she was not behaving well at all, but clearly this was a very sore point for her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.