Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
I think you stood up to a bully.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
I applaud your attempt to show support to those just doing their jobs but where was that famous British wit? Could have come in handy.

Not to defend the "gentleman in a tracksuit" (oxymoron?) I've been subject to patting down a few times and one time in particular the security officer was asking so many questions about would I like to go somewhere private (no, thank you) and telling me in great detail how she will pat down my chest I wanted to say, (but didn't) "Could we just get on with it?" There's no benefit in ruffling feathers there.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Some people are genuinely unaware of themselves. If he genuinely was taken aback, it may lead to a moderation in behaviour. Don't worry too much about it.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Cymro
I agree with you, but it's worth pointing out that the quiet sanctum of business class was on last night's LCA-LHR, which was a short-haul configured 767. So not that premium, really!
Larnaca, say no more
Old May 18, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by richi
I think you stood up to a bully.
Agreed.

I had a chap listening to an episode of family guy on full volume in the lounge once. I asked if he wanted to borrow some earphones, as it was really quite loud. At that point the lounge chap stepped in and it was turned off. But at every opportunity after that, the chap would say ridiculous things like 'I hope this newspaper isn't too loud', and on the plane 'hope i'm not being too loud'

I mean FFS... you were watching TV on an ipad for all to hear.. this isn't the back row of a night bus..
Old May 18, 2018, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by bermyandy
.. this isn't the back row of a night bus..
Haha, definitely adding this one to my repertoire
SKT-DK and noFODplease like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:53 am

I was in the Bolero lounge in WAW earlier in the week with a chap (and entourage) standing right by the entrance door, talking very loudly on a facetime call on speaker phone.. I couldn't help myself... I simply had to photo bomb the call.... he and his entourage looked stunned and perplexed, but soon got the message and moved off to a quieter place. I chuckled all the way home.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by JayeJ
I applaud your attempt to show support to those just doing their jobs but where was that famous British wit? Could have come in handy.

Not to defend the "gentleman in a tracksuit" (oxymoron?) I've been subject to patting down a few times and one time in particular the security officer was asking so many questions about would I like to go somewhere private (no, thank you) and telling me in great detail how she will pat down my chest I wanted to say, (but didn't) "Could we just get on with it?" There's no benefit in ruffling feathers there.
I seem to get pinged by the "naked" scanners almost every time - and in the crotch area no less. So on my first visit to the States it was somewhat bemusing to have the whole detailed decription thing from the TSA [made worse by the fact it was a trainee, inevitably parroting the trainer for each line]. My usual hop is STN-AMS and back, but somehow it didn't seem like it would help the situation for me to cut them off with "It's quite alright, the Dutch feel me up all the time".
Old May 18, 2018, 9:45 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Am presently in QF SYD F lounge (yummy salt and pepper squid and 150 lashes beer). Me and a guy arrived at the same time in parallel lines he in the CW line and me in the F line. The F line opened up first and this guy decides he is going ahead of me and says loudly ‘this trumps anything you have’ waving a QF Platinum card at me. I shrug my shoulders and head to the CW desk and the agent turns to the rude guy and says “Actually a BA Gold travelling in First trumps a Qantas Platinum travelling in Club any day of the week. “ Qantas card holder turns to agent and states quite rudely “Don’t sit me next to him!” The agent smiles sweetly and tells him “that’s ok he is in First so he won’t have to sit next to you”.

Irony of ironies i arrive in the F lounge and greeter sits me in the table next to his.

What an an absolute tool.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
...this guy decides he is going ahead of me and says loudly ‘this trumps anything you have’ waving a QF Platinum card at me.
I cringe! IN WHAT UNIVERSE...

Honestly, the world some people live in. I hope it makes up for what must be the fathomless emptiness inside.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
What size were his hands?
Old May 19, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Am presently in QF SYD F lounge (yummy salt and pepper squid and 150 lashes beer). Me and a guy arrived at the same time in parallel lines he in the CW line and me in the F line. The F line opened up first and this guy decides he is going ahead of me and says loudly ‘this trumps anything you have’ waving a QF Platinum card at me. I shrug my shoulders and head to the CW desk and the agent turns to the rude guy and says “Actually a BA Gold travelling in First trumps a Qantas Platinum travelling in Club any day of the week. “ Qantas card holder turns to agent and states quite rudely “Don’t sit me next to him!” The agent smiles sweetly and tells him “that’s ok he is in First so he won’t have to sit next to you”.

Irony of ironies i arrive in the F lounge and greeter sits me in the table next to his.

What an an absolute tool.
I think this guy might well be the black hole at the end of the DYKWIA continuum.
Old May 19, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Do I need to learn to be a bit more DYKWIA?
I got promoted to Gold a few weeks ago. Last week I flew LHR-ORD and I’d reserved 80A (upper deck exit row on the A380), after “boarding complete” 80B was unoccupied. I decided to pop to the loo before take off but when I got back there was an elderly couple sitting in 80A & B. I explained that 80A was my seat but they seemed confused and reluctant to move, the cabin crew member in the section asked if I’d mind taking another seat as the safety video was about to start. I didn’t want to make a fuss so I complied and ended up with a middle section of 4 to myself so not too bad. Anyway about half an hour into the flight the new occupants of 80A & B got a visit from what looked like the CSD followed by a delivery of champagne. I think they got my "Welcome to Gold" speech and champagne. I didn’t get the impression that they did anything deliberate, just that they were infrequent travellers who will probably travel BA every time now 😊
Old May 19, 2018, 2:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

That's not being DYKWIA by asking to sit in the seat which is yours and you've also earned it by being Gold so pre-selecting it. If that happened to me and they seemed unable to understand I wouldn't be convinced but on the face of it they may have possibly been inexperienced or even first time travellers on an A380. Showing them your BP with numerical numbers is a language anyone can understand and then pointing to the numbers above and the CC member should have moved them back, even after take off if it were deemed too late as you were taxiing out then to go back to their original seats although that may have been difficult

However what would also be more of a concern is them sitting in an emergency exit seat, not only being elderly but by not being able to understand the safety video possibly and could they open it in an emergency?

I had a similar thing on IB once, had an exit seat and was one pf the last to board. On getting to my seat a guy was sitting there and he tried to point me to his seat which was a row forward (non-exit) I just asked him to move then he appeared not to understand English so the CC member did and he didn't seem very happy. Tough! I really can't stand chancers.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:03 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
What size were his hands?
fairly large. He held his s QF card as if he was a TV detective. He was getting agitated about how long the CW agent was taking yet we had both only arrived some 40 seconds before. As if he expected crowds to open up in front of him because of his elevated status. I hope he had a very average flight. Anyway I’m going to have drinks in SIN before my flight to ICN on MH tomorrow evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.