FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Print Wikipost

Premium Fare Deals | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BA
General tip: Qatar through BA website

I appreciate that this might not be specific enough but I've noticed that Qatar fares loaded onto the BA website, thanks to their codeshare agreement, are often more than 50% cheaper. We just bagged ourselves some Qatar flights to Bali in business for £1,800 return. The exact same flights on the Qatar website are in excess of £4,500.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Cadmus
I appreciate that this might not be specific enough but I've noticed that Qatar fares loaded onto the BA website, thanks to their codeshare agreement, are often more than 50% cheaper. We just bagged ourselves some Qatar flights to Bali in business for £1,800 return. The exact same flights on the Qatar website are in excess of £4,500.
While I congratulate you on your excellent taste (i.e. flying QR ) are you sure that you are not only comparing the exact same flights, but also the exact same fare class? Nobody in their right mind would pay GBP4.5k + to fly QR J LON DPS and vv unless they were desperate. Is it possibly not the case that you have booked an I-class fare, while the fare you are comparing with on the QR website is C or J-class?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:47 am

It's completely possible, yes. But the point would still be that the fare (class) found on BA was not available on QR so the net effect is that you fly the same travel class for less money. That was the essence of my post.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
It's completely possible, yes. But the point would still be that the fare (class) found on BA was not available on QR so the net effect is that you fly the same travel class for less money. That was the essence of my post.
+ you get more Avios if booked as BA code.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:37 am

WOW! How did you do this? very new to navigating BA website. Cheers!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by mingdoll
WOW! How did you do this? very new to navigating BA website. Cheers!
There is no skill to it, it's just a matter of (luck and) looking for a flight to a destination to which BA does not fly (but Qatar does) on the BA booking page.

An example of a flight from LGW to DPS (via Doha) on 5 March 2019 returns the following for business class on Qatar flights QR328 connecting to QR962:

BA website - cheapest £948
Qatar website - cheapest £2,235

As noted above, I appreciate they might be different fare classes but to the common traveller, this makes no difference as it is still a business class fare. What is clear is that BA may have on its website cheaper fares for the same QR flight class of travel than Qatar Airways on its own website.

I guess the point is to always check the prices of QR flights on the BA website too?

Last edited by Cadmus; Aug 17, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:01 pm

An example of a flight from LGW to DPS (via Doha) on 5 March 2019 returns the following for business class on Qatar flights QR328 connecting to QR962:

Got rather excited there. But from a quick glance at google flights I’m assuming the BA price should have an extra “1” before it?
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:05 pm

No, this is a genuine example (the example is of one leg of the journey only but the difference in price applies to a full return journey too).

BA fare

QR fare (same connecting flight)
Bullswood likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The flights may be on the same aircraft but BA control inventory for the BA code and QR for their code. Each may have different attitudes to revenue management and control availability accordingly.

This is actually a good result as you get to ride the superior service but get the advantages of additional Avios for being a BA code.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:12 pm

Yes, I have flown QR before and appreciate this is a good deal. I was specifically looking for a QR flight this time and I am just sharing the revelation that sometimes it's worth looking for QR flights on the BA website...
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

As noted above, I appreciate they might be different fare classes but to the common traveller, this makes no difference as it is still a business class fare.
Sorry - but as I suspected, in your specific example you’re comparing BA I class and QR D class. As for ‘the common traveller’ this is FlyerTalk! Most here will understand the difference in J, C, D, I and R business class fares - and the differing level of cancellation, date change and no-show penalties associated with each fare class.

Select ‘Flexible ticket’ instead of ‘Lowest Price’ at ‘Ticket type’ and see the impact it has on the BA fare. What your example does show is that - for this particular route at this particular time (next week could be different) - BA has I class availability on QR metal where QR does not. I congratulate you for making that discovery - and it is indeed a useful tip.

While you have secured some good, although by no means excellent, QR fares, it remains the case that the basis for your comparison, as described in your initial post, isn’t ‘apples to apples’; they are not the exact same flights.

Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:53 pm

When do two people seated next to each other at 30,000ft think they are not on the same flight? When one's a Flyertalker and he knows he's in a different bucket!
Anyway, thanks Cadmus for the sort of useful find that makes this forum so useful!

Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:51 pm

I would say that they are the EXACT SAME FLIGHTS, however, the conditions of the tickets for those flights can be significantly different. I won't get different ground/air service (provided there aren't IROPS) based on what booking class was used. (And I know there are caveats on that statement, but in general, and in this case, I believe it to be true.)

rb211.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
While you have secured some good, although by no means excellent, QR fares, it remains the case that the basis for your comparison, as described in your initial post, isn’t ‘apples to apples’; they are not the exact same flights.
I disagree in many different ways. I think we are probably not far apart in our views, but I see this come up over and over again, so I'll regurgitate some thoughts on the matter.

1. If the passenger has no want of flexibility, as most in this thread don't, it is extraneous to the comparison. Suppose that the QR fares came with an extra helping of baked beans in the in flight meal, whereas the BA fares are in every respect equivalent but don't come with a second helping of baked beans, and are £2k cheaper. I don't like baked beans, so I can discard that element and continue with the price comparison. And that's totally reasonable for anyone else who doesn't need extra baked beans on board.
2. The fare buckets do not set the change conditions, they only manage availability. Categories 16 and 33 in the fare rules sets out the change conditions. It's perfectly possible for a BA I- fare to be more changeable than a QR C- fare on the same metal.
3. BA and QR do not file fares permitting travel on the same metal at the same level for vaguely comparable change conditions anyway.
4. BA and QR do not have identical change conditions. The fees for changes and the conditions under which changes can be made are quite different even at comparable price points. If we follow the logic of "we can only compare like fares", we would be unable to compare any prices at all, except fully refundable fares.

Last edited by Calchas; Aug 17, 2018 at 5:10 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
And with all that, I'd say 948 for LGW-DPS is not a terrible deal, regardless of what flight it really is

There have been some really nice QR deals recently ex-UK, but DPS is a popular destination and I haven't seen this kind of price for it from the UK before with OneWorld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.