Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Had FLUB gone out full and you were in a CW cabin with some empty seats would that have made you happier ?

If as you suggest you roll forward the upgrades:
There would also have been 4 Economy passengers who would have benefited.

this is exactly the revenue protection, free upgrade expectation BA does not want to encourage
the810 likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jan 10, 2024 at 12:56 pm
Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Had FLUB gone out full and you were in a CW cabin with some empty seats would that have made you happier ?

If as you suggest you roll forward the upgrades:

this is exactly the revenue protection, free upgrade expectation BA does not want to encourage
upgrading 4 economy passengers is definitely not the same, as they would be getting different service, as well as a different seat. This may affect the other business passengers who had paid for their seats.

FLUBing would not have this effect, as the FLUBees would be getting the same service they had paid for, with no dilution of service to the rest of the cabin.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by camdentown
BA policy is not to fill premium seats with upgrades (this differs from AA for example).
BA will upgrade when they have to because lower cabins are overbooked.
Yes, AA's policy is very different from BA's, I've seen this flying domestic F a few times. I flew BNA to AUS earlier in the week and F had 3 bookings. Looking forward to a quiet cabin. Before boarding checked the seat map and it was full. They just upgrade people from Main Cabin etc. Always full, meaning a slower service with a single cabin crew.

I don't know why anyone would *want* a busier/full cabin. Makes no logistical sense at all.
the810 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Full Score
Offering an empty, unused seat can hardly be classed an "upgrading" a passenger.
Ehhhh…that is the very definition of an upgrade. What you saw is exactly how FLUB works. The don’t bump anybody forward if they don’t need to.

This is not a good thing for you to get infuriated over.
flygirl68, the810 and oceanscape like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I don't know why anyone would *want* a busier/full cabin. Makes no logistical sense at all.
I guess if you were in a middle seat in the last row of economy, you’d want a full business or first cabin…as long as you were the one getting moved to fill it.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:13 am

BA277 LHR to HYD

BA277 on 22 Dec 2023 had flub. Don't know if this was due to an aircraft change or not, as people were given new boarding cards only at the gate.
People moved to flub were an interesting bunch: 2 golds (us), a staff member with husband and child, and 4 others who had no clue where they were and remained puzzled and self confined to their seat throughout.

But we were very happy to avoid the need to jump over seats in regular CW.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
BA198 BOm-LHR 22 March

Both my wife and I were FLUBed at the gate last Friday - we were aware that the plane had First Class that was not sold, but even at check-in about 18 hours before the flight, there were plently of unallocated seats in Club.

As an aside, I am very glad to have have TCPd our bookings (mine was cash, hers was Avios), as it seemd all apart from her had the Gold Card welcome in the First Cabin.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Huge amount of staff travel to India at this time of the year, many BA employees with Indian ancestry have their holidays in March and add it to April’s to have two years allocation at once.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Flub experience - unusual or standard?

Just boarded the 126 from Doha and have been Flubbed at the gate.

I hadn't kept an eye on it as Club was half empty while checking in, so assumed Flub wouldn't be in operation. There was a queue for visa checks, so I left boarding until the last minute and checked EF again. Club was full at that point and F seats 6/8. My app still showed the Club seat - previously with op-ups it has been visible here before boarding.

Got the red beep at the gate but it required quite a lot of typing to generate a new BP - previously it has been a simple 'press print' as the new seat has already been assigned. I checked EF again immediately and F seats were 7/8.

I can only assume that I had ended up in some kind of limbo without seat assignment, as my old seat in Club remained occupied after my new BP was issued.

Is this par for the course these days? Weirdly, my app still shows the Club seat.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Presumably cabins rolled forwards - and perhaps J wasn’t overbooked? W might have been heavily, result either way!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Well the summer schedule offers some excitement for FLUB fans. (I should say I am not a fan as it causes uncertainty that I could do without).

Several US destinations are getting regular F equipped aircraft (commonly 781) for routes that don't sell F (e.g. MSY and PDX). So place you bets.
BA or bust and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Presumably cabins rolled forwards - and perhaps J wasn’t overbooked? W might have been heavily, result either way!
W was indeed busy, it either went full or with one seat unoccupied. J was very busy indeed.

I was more surprised at the process, it felt like I had been moved into some kind of unseated status until arriving at the gate which is not what I'd expect. But perhaps that is normal.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by father_ted
Just boarded the 126 from Doha and have been Flubbed at the gate.

I hadn't kept an eye on it as Club was half empty while checking in, so assumed Flub wouldn't be in operation. There was a queue for visa checks, so I left boarding until the last minute and checked EF again. Club was full at that point and F seats 6/8. My app still showed the Club seat - previously with op-ups it has been visible here before boarding.

Got the red beep at the gate but it required quite a lot of typing to generate a new BP - previously it has been a simple 'press print' as the new seat has already been assigned. I checked EF again immediately and F seats were 7/8.

I can only assume that I had ended up in some kind of limbo without seat assignment, as my old seat in Club remained occupied after my new BP was issued.

Is this par for the course these days? Weirdly, my app still shows the Club seat.
What status do you hold with BA?

I was on BA126 (in row 5, i.e. just behind F) as well and was very jealous of the people who got to sit up front!
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
What status do you hold with BA?
Gold, on the way to GGL this year. Certainly one of the lower spends per TP out there, so nothing that BA will be particularly interested in.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:10 am

Just been FLUB’ed BA223 to BNA

Had selected seat 5K in Club suites from LHR-BNA - was happy with that. And checked online accordingly.

When at fast track security, couldn’t scan boarding pass. When they scanned it it worked and I spotted I was now in 4K. Didn’t think anything of it until we got onboard.
Found myself sat in last row of the First cabin. And the club cabin is the old ying-yang CW so something of an escape. Obviously an aircraft change a so had selected my original seat at booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.