Wiki Posts
Search

Capital Markets Day: new announcements

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL
Originally Posted by BABenchley
Special Services renamed the Concorde team
Wonder if CCR holders will get more from the new Concorde team.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'd go JL if only they decided to compete on one stop itineraries! Sadly, much of the time, JL is only interested in flights to/from Japan! I know you have had bad experiences with them especially on regional routes, but given the right planes, JL is still my favourite J product (and favourite F food all round!) and I love Tokyo for a stopover!!
My experience with JL has actually been largely positive apart from the ridiculously hot cabin (which is pretty consistent).

Some really dopey cabin crew experiences as well (in J) including some on the latest batch of flights but in J or F they are usually pretty good, and they seem to have got rid of most of the bad J seats. As I can no longer travel Y for anything longer than 2 hours (genuine reasons, not 'frequent flyer reasons) I don't need to worry about the silly IFE box under the seat that renders my feet/leg room non-existent.

Their long haul J product is now good, although the variety of seats make me laugh - how can one airline have so many different long haul J seats!? Anyway, they are fine, except for the hot cabin and the 787 (which adds to the heat due to the electric shades). The food is pretty good too, although bluntly put CX F Kaiseki ex-TYO is better than JL F Japanese meal.

The trouble is, JL don't have F to Australia. They did for a short period over winters to SYD but I don't think they do this winter.

With OW BA is the only one that I am prepared to fly on with F to Australia that involves stopovers/transits that I am happy to do, although with QF being back via SIN that will potentially be good. Saying that, their J is out of the question (horrible bed! I'd rather take SQ and not recline much).

IFor once, since the day announcements mentioned the lounge improvements as part of the strategy, I'd really love it for BA to imitate QF on the adoption of juicers in its lounges in the morning complete with a large selection of fruit, vegetables, and herbs you can use for your own juice recipe!!!
That would be a very welcome improvement at BA F lounges.

Remember though that the price point for QF domestic J is so different from BA's CE that it does give them, I suspect, quite a bit of 'fat' to play with, as well as more incentive to keep the product good enough to justify the c. £1,200 return fare between SYD and MEL in J (this is the lowest fare, not the "full J/C").

I'm pretty sure however that the scrambled eggs at SYD/MEL domestic J lounges are made from liquid eggs, much like BA on board

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 3, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:48 am

I thought it was an interesting presentation which shows the huge amount of change going on across the 5 airlines in IAG.

Whether it is too much/too little is a good debate but it strikes me much of recent profit growth has been around driving efficiencies from the business. When that starts to taper off and real revenue growth is needed then we will see how IAG copes. Or perhaps WW will buy another airline then, rinse and repeat.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by baflyer123
Wonder if CCR holders will get more from the new Concorde team.
If there really are as few CCR holders, as has been suggested on here, then I would hope so.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by simons1
I thought it was an interesting presentation which shows the huge amount of change going on across the 5 airlines in IAG.

Whether it is too much/too little is a good debate but it strikes me much of recent profit growth has been around driving efficiencies from the business. When that starts to taper off and real revenue growth is needed then we will see how IAG copes. Or perhaps WW will buy another airline then, rinse and repeat.
i agree and think it’s a pretty important point.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
My experience with JL has actually been largely positive apart from the ridiculously hot cabin (which is pretty consistent).

Some really dopey cabin crew experiences as well (in J) including some on the latest batch of flights but in J or F they are usually pretty good, and they seem to have got rid of most of the bad J seats. As I can no longer travel Y for anything longer than 2 hours (genuine reasons, not 'frequent flyer reasons) I don't need to worry about the silly IFE box under the seat that renders my feet/leg room non-existent.

Their long haul J product is now good, although the variety of seats make me laugh - how can one airline have so many different long haul J seats!? Anyway, they are fine, except for the hot cabin and the 787 (which adds to the heat due to the electric shades). The food is pretty good too, although bluntly put CX F Kaiseki ex-TYO is better than JL F Japanese meal.

The trouble is, JL don't have F to Australia. They did for a short period over winters to SYD but I don't think they do this winter.

With OW BA is the only one that I am prepared to fly on with F to Australia that involves stopovers/transits that I am happy to do, although with QF being back via SIN that will potentially be good. Saying that, their J is out of the question (horrible bed! I'd rather take SQ and not recline much).

Remember though that the price point for QF domestic J is so different from BA's CE that it does give them, I suspect, quite a bit of 'fat' to play with, as well as more incentive to keep the product good enough to justify the c. £1,200 return fare between SYD and MEL in J (this is the lowest fare, not the "full J/C").

I'm pretty sure however that the scrambled eggs at SYD/MEL domestic J lounges are made from liquid eggs, much like BA on board
To be honest I’m not sure cost is the main issue here. BA arguably spends far more in alcohol than they would in buying raw fruit and veg, and they offer more hot food options at meal times in even the regular club lounges than qf in their domestic lounges where they prefer to invest in a toasted sandwich bar. I think it’s more about different concepts of desirable food and drink options in the uk vs Australia and I’ll admit I’d rather share Australia’s obsession with fresh pressed juices and excellent coffee.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:00 am

Ah, I just remembered your unhappiness with JL Y and W food and with the regional J seat they gave you on longer intra-Asian routes (though I think more and more are getting fully flat nowadays).

Yes the variety of seats is odd but several are very good and the latest are excellent despite offering comparable density to CW.

Foidwise i imagine you are referring to the Japanese meal on the specific HKG route or equivalent length? The Japanese F kaiseki and further meals on long haul, notably to LHR, CDG, etc are way nicer than the CX kaiseki and in my view arguably the best meals and drinks to be found in the commercial aviation industry.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Cheeky, I can only find one bar chart in the entire presentation where the bar chart bars are not representative (for absolute values, not percent)...

...it's on p24, used to exaggerate the cuts at head office
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:31 am

Does it tell us when the new CW seat is being introduced?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Not sure I agree there. A couple of blankets and a pillow is lipstick on a pig. The catering improvements are welcome, but the food was pretty atrocious before. I still can't get an espresso in business class that Lufthansa or Qatar will happily serve me.

If they were genuine, meaningful improvements, then they would be lauded. But they're not as they are barely slowing the decline relative to other airlines.
no complaints about the Lufthansa seat? How long were they running slopies before replacing them with privacyless stepovers?

For many an espresso is just lipstick on a pig
Andriyko likes this.

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Nov 4, 2017 at 6:16 am
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Quite excited to see the changes to Avios next year. Almost impossible to work out what they will be from the slides.

If dynamic pricing for Avios means peak/off-peak calendar per route/flight rather than global, plus additional 150% or 200% Avios ticket availability in addition to "Classic" availability then i'm in!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Foidwise i imagine you are referring to the Japanese meal on the specific HKG route or equivalent length? The Japanese F kaiseki and further meals on long haul, notably to LHR, CDG, etc are way nicer than the CX kaiseki and in my view arguably the best meals and drinks to be found in the commercial aviation industry.
I was referring to the full on kaiseki on proper long haul. IMO JL have gone a bit too far with wabi-sabi in F (no such issue with J) and ended up a bit too boring with flavours as well as their presentation. CX ex-HND F kaiseki tasted better and more visually pleasing. It was a bit of a surprise to be honest and I thought it was one-off but it wasn't. JL do their Japanese rice better, however. (SQ don't get their kaiseki right, although they have improved recently.)

Saying that, both are far better than BA's 'semi-Japanese' meals on HND/NRT in F. I can't say I'm impressed with it. Now that they seem to have improved the CW catering, they need to work on F catering IMO.

To be honest I’m not sure cost is the main issue here. BA arguably spends far more in alcohol than they would in buying raw fruit and veg, and they offer more hot food options at meal times in even the regular club lounges than qf in their domestic lounges where they prefer to invest in a toasted sandwich bar. I think it’s more about different concepts of desirable food and drink options in the uk vs Australia and I’ll admit I’d rather share Australia’s obsession with fresh pressed juices and excellent coffee.
I've just remembered something. It could end up being a trade off between alcohol and freshly made juices. If I remember correctly, QF don't serve alcohol in their domestic lounges (definitely not at their domestic Qantas Club lounges) until the afternoon. I can't remember for sure in their Business lounge but I suspect that's the case too. I wouldn't have shown interest as I don't drink alcohol when travelling hence the lack of knowledge on the timing (ask me about food though, and I'd probably be able to tell you )

I suspect there would be a serious uproar if BA tried to withhold alcoholic drinks until the afternoon in their lounges but provided a juice station instead. I do not think I could cope with looking at this forum for 6 weeks if that ever happened.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc

I've just remembered something. It could end up being a trade off between alcohol and freshly made juices. If I remember correctly, QF don't serve alcohol in their domestic lounges (definitely not at their domestic Qantas Club lounges) until the afternoon. I can't remember for sure in their Business lounge but I suspect that's the case too.
IIRC booze is self serve in the business lounges and available sooner. Could be wrong tho', not totally remembering when I was there earlier this year.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by email2markt
Quite excited to see the changes to Avios next year. Almost impossible to work out what they will be from the slides.

If dynamic pricing for Avios means peak/off-peak calendar per route/flight rather than global, plus additional 150% or 200% Avios ticket availability in addition to "Classic" availability then i'm in!
Think in terms of relationship between G and X subclass. What is likely to happen is that peak and off peak would be history (with peak rate retained). Each flight will have X numbers of classic awards seats (i.e. 6 for Avios and 2-4 for partner awards). Once this threshold is reached, depends on individual routes performance, the dynamic kicks in. It is mostly likely to peg around a certain booking class, i.e. G for Economy, T for PE, I for business and so on...(just as example). A fixed Avios value will be attached to that certain distance, i.e. every 15-50 Avios per mile with the nearest value at per 1000 miles (for example and speculative example only, for a flight 3350 miles one way, the avios requirement would be 15X4,000=60,000 Avios for coach and 30X4,000=120,000 Avios for business).

Again that is based on my own understanding of dynamic pricing. The approach taken by BA could be totally different.
Keystone likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:49 am

Could the densification of 777 and 787 cabins reflect an intention to dedicate some of those aircraft to replacement of the remaining 767s? Remove CW (and F, if relevant) seats and replace them with WT or WT+ seats. The WT+ seating could be used for dedicated CE seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.