Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital Markets Day: new announcements

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:55 am

The amount of automation planned for LHR is ambitious. Pushback/Airbridge/Boarding/Baggage/Cargo delivery/Loading. Basically everything. Sounds like a major cull of staff is planned.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Do you not think the current product is driving that?

If BA had a market leading, truly premium offering, then I think sentiment here would be very different.
The cynicism I am referring to is more around the fact that even when BA tries to make positive changes it still comes in for criticism. If you look at the recent CW changes there has been so much negativity. Yet if you look at the improvements in service and the quality of the catering (plus the recently introduced bedding and amenity kits) I would say, objectively, that it is a significant step up from the previous offering.

At the moment it is limited to one route - and of course that comes in for criticism too. Yet if BA had launched it globally (even assuming for a moment that was feasible) and it had tanked then without doubt BA would have been hauled over the coals for a failed product launch and the same people who have criticised the one-route philosophy would be criticising BA for not having had a slow-start! Damned if you do, damned if you don't is the phrase that comes to mind.
Stez, Tobias-UK, PJSMITH0 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:57 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
You would think, but as there haven't been any changes to the CW seat in several years, I think it's understandable that some people might believe that BA has been following option #2 .
"so and so has a new seat"
"quick, put out an announcement that we're investing in a new seat!"

3 years of vapourware later ....

"look, we've got a new seat!"
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by V10
"so and so has a new seat"
"quick, put out an announcement that we're investing in a new seat!"

3 years of vapourware later ....

"look, we've got a new seat!"
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405
The cynicism I am referring to is more around the fact that even when BA tries to make positive changes it still comes in for criticism. If you look at the recent CW changes there has been so much negativity. Yet if you look at the improvements in service and the quality of the catering (plus the recently introduced bedding and amenity kits) I would say, objectively, that it is a significant step up from the previous offering.

At the moment it is limited to one route - and of course that comes in for criticism too. Yet if BA had launched it globally (even assuming for a moment that was feasible) and it had tanked then without doubt BA would have been hauled over the coals for a failed product launch and the same people who have criticised the one-route philosophy would be criticising BA for not having had a slow-start! Damned if you do, damned if you don't is the phrase that comes to mind.
Not sure I agree there. A couple of blankets and a pillow is lipstick on a pig. The catering improvements are welcome, but the food was pretty atrocious before. I still can't get an espresso in business class that Lufthansa or Qatar will happily serve me.

If they were genuine, meaningful improvements, then they would be lauded. But they're not as they are barely slowing the decline relative to other airlines.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Do you not think the current product is driving that?

If BA had a market leading, truly premium offering, then I think sentiment here would be very different.
I second you on this one. Years of cost cutting, underinvestment and product deterioration have taken a toll on us (especially the ones not so priviledged to fly Primium cabins). If things change for the better, opinions will change.

Back to topic, we are no wiser on the topics highlighted in this thread. Has the BA team only read what's on the slides or explained a bit further the future.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Some
Another interesting point I thought was that Iberia, Vueling and Aer Lingus all mentioned NPS either improving, or holding steady.

The BA slides had no mention of it. I think that's telling.
Indeed, I thought that. I think there's also probably a high chance that this will be the last year BA can claim to be the top UK Consumer Superbrand!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:30 am

Alex Cruz is giving is first official speech on Monday at the World Travel Market. I assume he will give some more details then...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Deltus
What does that mean? Changing the rates on Part Pay with Avios, and Avios + Cash bookings? Or making last-minute avios bookings more expensive?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to Air Canada Aeroplan. There are "classic rewards" at a fixed mileage rate, and then there are "market rate" rewards, which is basically assigning a value per mile and then Aeroplan is buying a seat from AC at whatever the going price is. The number of miles then varies depending on the price of a revenue seat when you book.

In a sense market rate means you have a reward seat available on any flight, but the rates get very high. As an example North America to Europe in J is 90,000 miles for a "Classic" reward, I have seen over 1,000,000 miles for a non stop in J at the "Market" rate.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Not sure I agree there. A couple of blankets and a pillow is lipstick on a pig. The catering improvements are welcome, but the food was pretty atrocious before. I still can't get an espresso in business class that Lufthansa or Qatar will happily serve me.

If they were genuine, meaningful improvements, then they would be lauded. But they're not as they are barely slowing the decline relative to other airlines.
This rather confirms the point @Geordie405 is makimg.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
I agree, but almost 20 years is pushing it.
When the seat is good as is and sells I can see why an airline would be in no rush to spend millions on a new one (even if the current one does not please the experience seekers). AA has just finished installing lie-flat seats across its fleet, let's not forget.
pennineuk and HIDDY like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 6:42 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:50 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by JMurray
Going back to the presentation: I do find it rather laughable that BA are referencing uncertainly in North Korea as a 'competitive threat'.

Excuse making?
The population of the Hawaiian islands definitely see this as a threat. A increase in tension could seriously affect airspace and passenger traffic
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
The population of the Hawaiian islands definitely see this as a threat. A increase in tension could seriously affect airspace and passenger traffic
Even more so the people of Guam...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
What is B787 densification? Amending the 789 to the horrible layout of the 788?
All that would do is widen the aisles, so no.

I read it as meaning densification 'by virtue of having' the 787s - e.g. if they replace a 777 or 747, that's already 4 F seats out, and WT has more seats per square metre to add to this.

Retiring a couple of 747s when the -10s arrive completes the run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.