Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital Markets Day: new announcements

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
Page 17 and 120 linked. It appears BA will get 3 more B777-300s based on the document
I found this interesting as well.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Heathrow B747 refurbishment starts 2018 (?) - > Anyone know more about what is going on here? Is this linked to the dozen being retained - so more super Hi-Js?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think there are 18 in the 52J set-up. There are also some 86J aircraft which date back to the mid 1990s. I counted 36 747s in all, so that suggests a dozen will be retained.

I still think an ageing 747 beats pretty much any 777.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mjh0
Could be the end of the line for the three non-ER 772s (G-ZZZ*) by the sound of it?
I would guess so, they date to around 1995 and can't go much further than Muscat. The fact that they are schlepping down to Madrid suggests they are somewhat inflexible.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sts603
sad indeed. Assume these will be the 52J birds?
I would though the hi-J has more cycles due to shorter flight to JFK?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Heathrow B747 refurbishment starts 2018 (?) - > Anyone know more about what is going on here? Is this linked to the dozen being retained - so more super Hi-Js?
Originally Posted by chongcao
I would though the hi-J has more cycles due to shorter flight to JFK?
Mmm, well maybe it's a case of old / high mileage are the ones for the chop, since there are some newer 1998 aircraft which are currently 52J? Though knowing IAG it's probably more to do with leasing / financing positions. Logically, refitting an already fully depreciated cabin in a new aircraft is more sensible than holding on to an old aircraft with maintenance issues even if it does have the Super J fittings.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Worcester
Just been looking at the Singapore airlines new offering. And I wonder if this investment in CW is going to be enough to keep it competitive.
Originally Posted by stewaran
I guess competitive will not trying to compete to be the best product in the world.
More likely competitive enough to keep it mostly full!
If you look at page 15:, according to Carolina: OUR CORE VALUE REMAINS THE SAME: BA IS A PREMIUM BRAND FOR ALL CUSTOMERS

Premium and All are my emphasises.

I know it has been repetitive, but I would thought many of the customers sitting in Euro Traveller cabin or Domestic Economy cabin would wonder what the premium is about in BA now.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
A direct link to this presentation: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...52658710557042
SK, orbitmic, LondonAndy and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Would it not make sense to analyze the detail first before heading down this negative train of thought?
The only reference made in the presentation is:

New top tier Club World seat in development; rollout from 2019
Please can you point me in the direction of additional information?

The £400m figure has been around for 2-3 years as I can remember, but all I have seen onboard is some new food and blankets on 1 route and a refreshed IFE on 86J 747s. Oh, and wifi on only 4 aircraft. Did I miss something about the onboard product?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by V10
And that is pretty much it - rose-tinted nostalgia.

So much about many of these aircraft is now tired - the cabins, the IFE, the seating, and especially the passengers who were not fortunate enough to be on the upper deck that just got off one after a 10 hour flight.
Personally, I don't care. And, it seems, neither does Worcester.

Nevertheless, if some (or some more) are to be refurbished, that has got to be good news.
happeemonkee likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by V10
And that is pretty much it - rose-tinted nostalgia.

So much about many of these aircraft is now tired - the cabins, the IFE, the seating, and especially the passengers who were not fortunate enough to be on the upper deck that just got off one after a 10 hour flight.
To be honest, that just depends on how you are flying. Indeed, if you are a status passenger travelling CW, you'd get upper deck most of the time and the best CW cabin BA still offers, especially on the Super-hi J where your points about IFE do not apply. In fact, the UD offers the only decent non-window seats in CW.

So yes, it makes perfect sense that the 744 get retired, mostly on grounds that have actually nothing to do with passenger comfort, but many a status holding CW passenger will in fact wish they retired the 772/773 instead, and many a Y pax might want different choices too after experiencing the sardine can 788 and the new high density 772.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:46 am
Suspended

Page 120:
B772/B787 densification.

We know what they are going to do with B772. But how can B787 densification been further expanded?

My guess could be B789 loosing F seats. Yet it is puzzling IAG just said B787 instead of B789 where they specify B772...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Page 25:

"B747 fleet exits Feb 2024"

2018 refurbishment will not have a long life.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Going back to the presentation: I do find it rather laughable that BA are referencing uncertainly in North Korea as a 'competitive threat'.

Excuse making?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JMurray
Going back to the presentation: I do find it rather laughable that BA are referencing uncertainly in North Korea as a 'competitive threat'.

Excuse making?
If North Korea start launching ICBM missiles, they are capable of hitting London: the government is aware of the threat (not least the NHS).

And their target is North America - BA's core market.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Some
"New top tier Club World seat in development; rollout from 2019"

So at least another two years of me avoiding BA longhaul J, then.

"Premium positioning for all customers"

Lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.