Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by GavT_london
Bit of a waste of time really - but it wont be missed as my recent LHR>YVR service was truly terrible and very very slow. And as a mostly window seat taker i wont notice the missing trolley as its pretty hard to see when going backwards with the screen divider up or the aisle person sat in the way.

I like the bigger glass but i dont like the 'lets skimp on the G&T and give you a half measure', i also dont like the service standard of serving a sniff (it was about a fingers worth) of welcome champagne but in a bigger glass either (so it looks even more ridiculously tight of BA).

And is it me or has dessert shrunk to the size of an ant and looks like its served in those dishes which you used to get on an economy tray???
RE: The welcome champagne, LHR-ORD could best be described as a thimble full, while my JFK-LHR return resembled a full serving. Not sure if there's an MF/WW difference here or just common sense that a glass of champagne is exactly what it says on the tin.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What a joke!
It certainly appears a rather farcical way to run things. Bit like the relaunch of CE catering only to be re-relaunched within eighteen months. That said, the quality of CE catering is streets ahead of where it was before and, whilst I’ve yet to experience the new CW catering, by most accounts it too is way ahead of the previous offering so I look forward to sampling it next month, albeit hand run from the galley.

NB: does this change mean we’ll get full size/strength gin and tonics? I can’t be doing with any half(-ar**d) measures.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I don't have a full understanding of the work involved in setting up the trolley, but as a passenger I will miss the ability to see both starters and desserts and then choose what I'd like. I find some BA menu descriptions to be overly verbose and "posh" - so I'm not always entirely sure what's on offer: the trolley helped with that a lot.
Correct, no trolleys and no ability to see choices.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Spending money on things then throwing them away 4U.
wrp96 and mjh0 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by BA235

NB: does this change mean we’ll get full size/strength gin and tonics? I can’t be doing with any half(-ar**d) measures.
if you want to have a full miniature then let the crew know, and this has always been the case.

The change to premixing drinks was to reduce clutter in the cabin, and the standard is to use half a minuture as this is a 25cl measure. No cost cutting involved.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Will this slow things down, particularly for drinks? I would have thought a drinks trolley would speed up service - no running up and down the aisle multiple times. Just ask what the passsenger wants and serve it straight away.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Will this slow things down, particularly for drinks? I would have thought a drinks trolley would speed up service - no running up and down the aisle multiple times. Just ask what the passsenger wants and serve it straight away.
Indeed I don't quite understand why a trolley would slow things down; I would think the opposite.

On my PHX do flights in Aug/Sep the trolley made no appearance anyway.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Indeed I don't quite understand why a trolley would slow things down; I would think the opposite.

On my PHX do flights in Aug/Sep the trolley made no appearance anyway.
Indeed on the majority of flights that were lightly loaded in CW that I've taken, the crew just didn't bother with the trolleys. I personally don't mind whether there is a trolley or not tbh, provided that they make clear you may have more than one starter/desert if there are extra. Keeping in style with the "restaurant" service they are trying to roll out.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
From 28th October the Club World service will become fully hand run. The starter/dessert trollies, wine carriers and etageres will all be removed.

Somewhat in the manner of a special holiday that comes to an end all-too-soon, the revamped trolley-based presentation - a core element of what was considered a huge transformation to CW catering standards - didn’t survive very long.

Oh well ...... it was nice whilst it lasted.

It’s now just over one year since the service was launched with great fanfare - and to widespread praise & acclaim - on Sept 1 2017. There was of course no little pride on the part of BA management, as evident from the new menu narrative, which gushed enthusiastically that the food would now be “all brought to you in a new style that we hope will make your flight an unforgettable experience"

There were no less than fifteen months of backroom research & planning even before the new-style catering actually went live. During this time the logistics, the onboard practicalities - and indeed the entire concept - were (presumably ?) researched in great detail by a dedicated project team. After so much meticulous pre-launch advance preparation, one might have been tempted to think ..... ‘what could possibly go wrong ‘?

A disappointing development, it must be said. Hopefully the improvements in actual quality of food will be maintained, although that remains to be seen ; but meanwhile, it would appear that a fair bit of time & money has been wasted.
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Back to how it was before then, but with one fewer main course to choose from. BA at its best.
And who on earth thinks hand running things is an improvement. some of the larger legacy ladies thumping up and down the cabin more often? No thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:16 am

I would presume that those sitting in row 16 of a 77W aren't going to see an improvement, if every item needs to be hand run from the galley at doors 2.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
I would presume that those sitting in row 16 of a 77W aren't going to see an improvement, if every item needs to be hand run from the galley at doors 2.
It will most likely be a “four corner” service flow now whereby two crew will start from the front of the cabin and two from the back working to meet.

It will definitely be faster without the trolley. No more sitting with your empty tray and a bread roll for over half an hour whilst we assemble the most user unfriendly trollies in the galley.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Welcome On Board

It will most likely be a “four corner” service flow now whereby two crew will start from the front of the cabin and two from the back working to meet.

It will definitely be faster without the trolley. No more sitting with your empty tray and a bread roll for over half an hour whilst we assemble the most user unfriendly trollies in the galley.
it couldn’t be any slower than what I experienced on JFK at the start.

So JFK service was a disaster at the start but they ignored it and the feedback from frustrated regulars. They ignored the loss of regular customers to AA and ploughed on for a year. I have nt flown one CW sector for over a year because of it. Clearly it’s not just me as BA only listens to $$$$s.

How can a company take so long to admit it’s got it wrong? It was obvious a few weeks in, but clearly an office bound pen pusher knows more than passengers and crew.

next up new CW: a dumbed down version of Qatar 787-8 seat by all accounts. But no doubt with expensive modifications that reduce the comfort without any intention to take passenger or crew input

Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:16 am

I don't understand why they would spec such a complicated trolley... you can get a wheelchair or baby stroller that pops together in 20 seconds. How long were these taking to put together?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I don't understand why they would spec such a complicated trolley... you can get a wheelchair or baby stroller that pops together in 20 seconds. How long were these taking to put together?
Well, the way it was put to me is that imagine you are assembling a trolley with several hundred items on it, all with particular locations and layout specifications. Then imagine having to do that in a different kitchen every day of the week - where you can only guess where everything is stored, but can't be entirely certain. Plus the kitchen supplier every so often puts someone else's groceries into random locations. Over the years I've seen BA's crew assemble CW catering probably several hundred times, and yet if I had to volunteer to step in to replace an ailing crew member, I doubt there would be much food served before Newfoundland. It really is a lot more complex than it looks. It's a genuine pity they couldn't get the timings to work, in my view, there is/was something unique about the arrangement of the dessert trolley in particular which you don't get on other airlines but as with everything in aviation, time is of the essence.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.