Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
.. Everything else is catered for in a typically significantly improved form.
Except flavour - with the exception of the Mezze and the soups I find QR food mostly bland ...
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:08 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The 3-in-1 roll is probably the best bread product I have ever had in the air, and if it was available in the shops I would go out of my way to buy it. The previous bread products on BA were reasonably good, but this was much better still, a light crust, well flavoured (I think they used olive oil to retain freshness) and a springy texture.
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
The new catering has a lot in common with the trial DO&CO did for Cathay Pacific. Does anyone know why that didn't get off the ground, cost?
Interesting to see that CX's trial also included three-in-one rolls. I wonder if it's a DO&CO thing.

The only place I've seen
is in LX F, but DO&CO is not their caterer.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Really excellent, corporate-wage-slave.

Thank you.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Except flavour - with the exception of the Mezze and the soups I find QR food mostly bland ...
QR is like the Godwins law of FT
Jimmie76, Tobias-UK and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
This looks really great! The big question that keeps being asked is how are they going to keep the differential in F, which is going to get even more relevant when a new CW seat is launched.

Whilst the CW hard product is still rubbish, it only takes a few things to ensure that First continues to beat it - playing around a bit with the menus (caviar anyone?) and improving the LHR experience, which is already happening with the new First security channel.

Once a new CW hard product is in place, it's a different ball game. Is this the end for First, is BA going to go down a 'suites' approach, or is there an economic justification to keep a First cabin that has just enough difference and prestige to make it feel slightly different? For instance, I struggle to see any more than a tiny difference between Business and First on the new AA widebody jets and am not sure it's worth the price, other than the slightly more bespoke service.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ManchesterBDFlyer
This looks really great! The big question that keeps being asked is how are they going to keep the differential in F, which is going to get even more relevant when a new CW seat is launched.

Whilst the CW hard product is still rubbish, it only takes a few things to ensure that First continues to beat it - playing around a bit with the menus (caviar anyone?) and improving the LHR experience, which is already happening with the new First security channel.

Once a new CW hard product is in place, it's a different ball game. Is this the end for First, is BA going to go down a 'suites' approach, or is there an economic justification to keep a First cabin that has just enough difference and prestige to make it feel slightly different? For instance, I struggle to see any more than a tiny difference between Business and First on the new AA widebody jets and am not sure it's worth the price, other than the slightly more bespoke service.
I'm sure there are always ways to differentiate the service & experience between products even if the lines start to feel generically blurred, I guess it's more whether the customers are prepared to pay for something better and in a smaller cabin, in this case.

My guess is people will always pay the price for that slightly better experience! Without going down the "taste the difference/waitrose vs m&s" discussion again & again! maybe we should exclude Fter's from this pay more scenario
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Hang on, I thought that we were discussing the Club kitchen vs inflight snacks, in which case the QR version is actually much nicer tasting than BA's in my experience!

On the broader issue of catering, I'm not a big fan of QR food but find it much nicer tasting than the current CW, which is part of the reason why I am really interested in the new catering we are discussing in this thread which looks much nicer. Ironically, I actually don't like QR mezze that much, other airlines such as TK do them vastly better, but I find QR's Indian food good as are their soups (same with BA F soups: airlines are generally good at soups or soups are generally good at aircrafts). I find their starters too repetitive (it seems to be always some salmon dish or mezze though you can get soup and salad too). Desserts nicer on QR (though that's what CW does best) and fruit vastly better on QR (BA fruit are invariably horrid).

In my view, QR J food is quite a lot nicer tasting than BA's current CW, but the new JFK catering looks nicer than the current QR. Best J food in the air remains TK, OS, JL, and AZ, and of course the first two have given free reign to Do&Co which is a good reason to be hopeful.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Hang on, I thought that we were discussing the Club kitchen vs inflight snacks, in which case the QR version is actually much nicer tasting than BA's in my experience!
The mid flight snacks available on, for example QR’s DOH to LHR service are discretely* offered in lieu of a formal second meal service which we get on BA’s LHR-JFK (roughly equivalent distance/flight time to DOH-LHR)

* no askee, no gettee, so read your menu closely to avoid disappointment.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ManchesterBDFlyer

Never mind tiny difference, I think from a hard product perspective I prefer being in the AA 77W J mini-cabin to F on a night flight! Hence AA F is basically full of people on mileage redemptions/upgrades a lot of the time. BA need to be careful not to create the same thing for a cabin that makes up a much greater number of seats for them.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:51 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Prospero
The mid flight snacks available on, for example QR’s DOH to LHR service are discretely* offered in lieu of a formal second meal service which we get on BA’s LHR-JFK (roughly equivalent distance/flight time to DOH-LHR)

* no askee, no gettee, so read your menu closely to avoid disappointment.
All food is dine on demand on QR J
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Never mind tiny difference, I think from a hard product perspective I prefer being in the AA 77W J mini-cabin to F on a night flight! Hence AA F is basically full of people on mileage redemptions/upgrades a lot of the time.
Evidenced by the fact that on EF you can more or less pick your flight on TATL 77W services and there will be wide open J to F upgrade availability. It seems few people are willing to pay for what I have always seen as a marginal distinction at best.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

On the broader issue of catering, I'm not a big fan of QR food but find it much nicer tasting than the current CW, which is part of the reason why I am really interested in the new catering we are discussing in this thread which looks much nicer. Ironically, I actually don't like QR mezze that much, other airlines such as TK do them vastly better, but I find QR's Indian food good as are their soups (same with BA F soups: airlines are generally good at soups or soups are generally good at aircrafts). I find their starters too repetitive (it seems to be always some salmon dish or mezze though you can get soup and salad too). Desserts nicer on QR (though that's what CW does best) and fruit vastly better on QR (BA fruit are invariably horrid).

In my view, QR J food is quite a lot nicer tasting than BA's current CW, but the new JFK catering looks nicer than the current QR. Best J food in the air remains TK, OS, JL, and AZ, and of course the first two have given free reign to Do&Co which is a good reason to be hopeful.
The QR food looks nice, but I find it bland with one or two excptions. Same in their DOH lounges, they look great but fall short on the flavour front. I don't know if the food is better or worse than the regular Club World food - it's been almost 6 years since I last travelled in Club World so am not qualified to comment.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just arrived back from JFK on the daytime BA 178. New product had been rolled out, and I was impressed. The main offering is still breakfast / brunch but the starters are extensive and the crew were pro-actively offering more than one.

Starters included trio of salmon, a continental plate, fresh yoghurts and breads, and the mains were a mixed grill, cheese and tomato omelette or cinammon toast.

Tapas afternoon tea was served about 90 minutes out of LHR and this was a vast improvement - salmon, prawn, crab and beef tasters alongside delicious cakes.

Was sat in 64A and the UD crew were brilliant - seemed genuinely proud of the new product and were encouraging customers to try some of the different offerings so that they could get feedback.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
...Cadburys is not chocolate.
It is manna from heaven and the answer to "what is to be found filling JAXBA's suitcase after trips to the UK (and ZA)"

Does it seem Club Kitchen worthy? Perhaps not, although it does have the Royal Warrant featured, which adds a few points.

Don't forget that Hotel Chocolat truffles are served with the main meal, and there are often extra boxes of those available in the display.

I think that Cadbury seems less fitting when there are fewer other options available. Plenty of choice and you won't notice/mind the items you wouldn't pick. Personally I like a cheeky pack of buttons; brings back great childhood memories!
HIDDY, delseyd, Calchas and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by acf2310
Was sat in 64A and the UD crew were brilliant - seemed genuinely proud of the new product and were encouraging customers to try some of the different offerings so that they could get feedback.
Great to hear from another happy customer, thank you so much for posting. Anything you think could / should have been improved? Feedback from those who have tried it would be extra valuable. If you are able to post up photos or write up the full menu description that would be really helpful (but I don't want to sound too greedy!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.