Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It will be but don’t hold your breath.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond

So having experienced the JFK service and seen other reviews on here, I think I had set the average experience bar...too high unfortunately. JFK gets the best food product, and in my opinion when it comes to the most important part (the food itself) nothing has changed in the grand scheme of things on the Gate Gourmet routes, if this trip is anything to go by.

First of all, the UD crew on the BA107 (LHR-DXB - day flight) were absolutely brilliant. Let the next section not distract from a stellar effort from them. Having only just been retrained they did a great job of adapting to challenging circumstances and delivering in relatively good time.

12.35 planned pushback
12.50 actual pushback
13.00 Rubber off the runway
14.05 Drinks and nuts service (was the tray always cheap plastic? Not noticeable unless you are inquisitive and give it a squeeze)
14.30 Starters served. I went for the Salmon Gravalax. Tasty but sloppy presentation. Imagine the old rectangular CW plate presentation, slightly nicer just because it is a curved plate!
Interesting to note that the Arabic mezze starter had not been loaded on the UD and they received something else in return which they didn’t recognise!
15.05 The crew graciously apologised for the gap. Main course served, piping hot! I went for the Arabic lamb dish is popular on this route in CW and WTP, however there was nothing different about the quality or the taste! Same meal, same presentation, different plate - that’s it!
15.30 Dessert served. I went for the sticky toffee pudding which was unfortunately not sticky, not toffee, and just sponge with a caramel hint plus some watery custard.
I then tried the chocolate marquise crisp in the hope that I had just picked the worst of the selection of each course. It was the best bit! Not sure this is a consequence of a change in the offer though, BA have generally been very good at their CW chocolate dessert offers.
18.45 I woke up catch the end of the afternoon tea service. I chose the sandwiches, actually it was far from the usual finger sandwiches (see photo). The quality was very good, each portion was tasty and the bread was soft and moist. The scone was good too.
Given the amount of food on offer in terms of picking as much as you want during the main meal (which was still less than JFK) I think the reduction in portion sizes for afternoon tea wasn’t really felt given the short 6.5hr flight. This may well not be sufficient for a longer flight as a second meal, but for this flight was just right. The tapas looked fine, I just didn’t fancy it.

In summary, despite the recovery with the quality of the afternoon tea service I expected better, but it appears the standard set on the JFK route hasn’t been met on this occasion by Gate Gourmet. I think Do&Co appear to take this all more seriously than our GG friends, from the staff preparing and plating all the way to the handover to the crew. BA has some serious work to do if it is to differentiate from the old CW offer (which to be honest doesn’t feel like much more than just new tableware). I do enjoy having a look at the food, but that has been cut back as well as the trolley doesn’t apply any more for the dessert and cheese service (replaced by a hand-held partial tray display).

Other notes (from both the JFK and this DXB experience):
1. The new tableware on the DXB route at least is all BA branded rather than Do&Co, though it feels the same except for the plastic tray. I think the setup feels fresh, the shapes felt very organic and pleasing in relative terms to the boxy or symmetrical shapes on old CW (and arguably on most other premium business carriers). Wouldn’t it be nice to have a ‘restaurant experience’ with a proper plated main course though?
2. The ceramic side tray within the main meal tray had the bread and butter on it and a blank space - can’t remember what I saw on the JFK route! Will update when I remember or refer to other posts to remember.

Last edited by Foofighter69; Feb 8, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Foofighter69

In summary, despite the recovery with the quality of the afternoon tea service I expected better, but it appears the standard set on the JFK route hasn’t been met on this occasion by Gate Gourmet. I think Do&Co appear to take this all more seriously than our GG friends, from the staff preparing and plating all the way to the handover to the crew. BA has some serious work to do if it is to differentiate from the old CW offer (which to be honest doesn’t feel like much more than just new tableware). I do enjoy having a look at the food, but that has been cut back as well as the trolley doesn’t apply any more for the dessert and cheese service (replaced by a hand-held partial tray display).

1. The new tableware on the DXB route at least is all BA branded rather than Do&Co, though it feels the same except for the plastic tray. I think the setup feels fresh, the shapes felt very organic and pleasing in relative terms to the boxy or symmetrical shapes on old CW (and arguably on most other premium business carriers). Wouldn’t it be nice to have a ‘restaurant experience’ with a proper plated main course though?
2. The ceramic side tray within the main meal tray had the bread and butter on it and a blank space - can’t remember what I saw on the JFK route! Will update when I remember or refer to other posts to remember.
Thanks for the report, shame it's not living up to what was introduced on the JFK route. Having looked at CWS's original pics, it looks like the little dish with olive oil and the salt and pepper shakers have been removed from the side tray. I think they were both known casualties already. Also, I thought CIHY said the 3in1 bread would be on routes from LHR, but it doesn't seem to have been the case here?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
I do enjoy having a look at the food, but that has been cut back as well as the trolley doesn’t apply any more for the dessert and cheese service (replaced by a hand-held partial tray display).

The trolley most definitely *did* apply on my LHR-BOS on Sunday last week, but I was on the main deck on this occasion. I can only surmise that the dessert and cheese was hand-run on the 747 upper deck because of the smaller number of passengers.

Having spent a large amount of time in the early 2000s flying Virgin, who at the time used to plate-to-order all their main courses, I can unequivocally say that a "proper plated main course" does not equate to a "restaurant experience", as the crew member running the galley, and the dishes being served, introduced a significant amount of variability of presentation and quality.

Assembly of meals by the flight kitchen is better for maintaining predictable standards.

Olive oil on the JFK route as I recall.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:42 am

We were given breakfast menu cards on BA54 from joburg at the weekend, which is new. This raised expectations of “maximised sleep”, however, my preferred option of a beverage 50 mins prior to landing was just delivered with the usual breakfast service at 1h30 before landing, with the ultimate kick in the teeth - they woke me up for it! Why do they bother with these initiatives when they are not followed through correctly? From the complaints I heard on board, several orders were also incorrect. They didn’t even actively collect the cards, I had to give them in before I went to sleep....
adrianlondon and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New CW catering will start on the HKG LHR on the 13/02 and LHR HKG on the 14/02.
The new bedding will start one the 21/02 on the following routes.
ATL, DBX, HKG, IAD, IAH, KWI, LAX, JNB, PHL, RUY, SAN, SEA, SFO, SJC.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Do you think there might be anything new on the SIN route next month? I suspect I am clutching at straws..- but I can see DBX, coming back from there in April but on a daytime flight
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:01 am

and how about KUL next march?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
I'm just back from an open-jaw trip to the US - in one direction, outbound to BOS, I had the new service, and on the return from DFW I had the old service, so I've experienced both offerings within a short space of time.

I can honestly say that the new service is an improvement on the old visually - the quality of the new starters and deserts/cheese is markedly better. The main that I had on LHR-BOS was decent (after the crew brought me one which hadn't gone cold!) and I felt had a difference in style to the "old food".

Out of DFW on the old menu the starter was okay, while dessert was just plain crap and I wish I'd had the cheese. Main was good, one of the better ex-US mains I've had in a while, and would not have been out of place on the "new" menu.

On the DFW-LHR we also had the breakfast card option - and like others report here, the execution of that, even with the older catering, felt a bit hit and miss. The lights were still cranked up full in the cabin quite early, and this was on a refit 744 which has the more flexible mood lighting system.

Also, why no option for water with breakfast? Even though I actually wrote "+ water" on my breakfast card, it got ignored by the crew, and I was just brought coffee. I know, I'm evidently "weird" for not drinking OJ at breakfast like other humans - but when flying J shouldn't my weirdness get accommodated? Even when breakfast was run from a cart, I still used to get "huffed at" by crew for not wanting juice and asking for water because it wasn't on the cart.

My 2p worth would be:
  • The starter and dessert trolleys I quite like. They tempt the passenger.
  • Give BA and their caterers a chance to smooth off the rough edges - my experience was in week 1 of a roll out.
  • Give the crews a chance to get used to the new routine.
  • Look again at the service flow and find opportunities to speed things up.
    • Look at tightening up the service time between putting down the tray and delivering the starters.
    • No-one likes staring at a dirty dish once they have finished eating, or empty glasses.
    • There's a need to have a crew member on each aisle acting as "patrol" for people finishing a course, running out of a drink, or waiting for their main. This is especially important for folk in non-aisle seats where it's less obvious. If BA are looking to create a restaurant-like feel, the emphasis needs to be on the passenger not needing to ask for a top-up or remind crew that they have a plate to be cleared.
    • On the 86J 747 main-deck there's a chance to set up a "service station" mid-cabin by 3 doors to speed service up there.
  • Consider a hot "express" option - something hand-held such as a hot sandwich, or "soup and dessert" - so that someone who wishes to get work done onboard can maximise that time, not have their table blocked with meal service for 2-3 hours, and make it clear that such a service is an option available to them.
  • Load enough bread for 2nd and 3rd bread runs.
  • Find a way of putting the proper cruet on all flights, not just JFK, or it's just going to be another inconsistency for people to pick at.
  • Give more guidance to crew on recommended lighting settings for various phases of service on aircraft with modern lighting systems, especially with respect to breakfast now it's being hand-run
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjh0
I'm just back from an open-jaw trip to the US - in one direction, outbound to BOS, I had the new service, and on the return from DFW I had the old service, so I've experienced both offerings within a short space of time.

I can honestly say that the new service is an improvement on the old visually - the quality of the new starters and deserts/cheese is markedly better. The main that I had on LHR-BOS was decent (after the crew brought me one which hadn't gone cold!) and I felt had a difference in style to the "old food".

Out of DFW on the old menu the starter was okay, while dessert was just plain crap and I wish I'd had the cheese. Main was good, one of the better ex-US mains I've had in a while, and would not have been out of place on the "new" menu.

On the DFW-LHR we also had the breakfast card option - and like others report here, the execution of that, even with the older catering, felt a bit hit and miss. The lights were still cranked up full in the cabin quite early, and this was on a refit 744 which has the more flexible mood lighting system.

Also, why no option for water with breakfast? Even though I actually wrote "+ water" on my breakfast card, it got ignored by the crew, and I was just brought coffee. I know, I'm evidently "weird" for not drinking OJ at breakfast like other humans - but when flying J shouldn't my weirdness get accommodated? Even when breakfast was run from a cart, I still used to get "huffed at" by crew for not wanting juice and asking for water because it wasn't on the cart.

My 2p worth would be:
  • The starter and dessert trolleys I quite like. They tempt the passenger.
  • Give BA and their caterers a chance to smooth off the rough edges - my experience was in week 1 of a roll out.
  • Give the crews a chance to get used to the new routine.
  • Look again at the service flow and find opportunities to speed things up.
    • Look at tightening up the service time between putting down the tray and delivering the starters.
    • No-one likes staring at a dirty dish once they have finished eating, or empty glasses.
    • There's a need to have a crew member on each aisle acting as "patrol" for people finishing a course, running out of a drink, or waiting for their main. This is especially important for folk in non-aisle seats where it's less obvious. If BA are looking to create a restaurant-like feel, the emphasis needs to be on the passenger not needing to ask for a top-up or remind crew that they have a plate to be cleared.
    • On the 86J 747 main-deck there's a chance to set up a "service station" mid-cabin by 3 doors to speed service up there.
  • Consider a hot "express" option - something hand-held such as a hot sandwich, or "soup and dessert" - so that someone who wishes to get work done onboard can maximise that time, not have their table blocked with meal service for 2-3 hours, and make it clear that such a service is an option available to them.
  • Load enough bread for 2nd and 3rd bread runs.
  • Find a way of putting the proper cruet on all flights, not just JFK, or it's just going to be another inconsistency for people to pick at.
  • Give more guidance to crew on recommended lighting settings for various phases of service on aircraft with modern lighting systems, especially with respect to breakfast now it's being hand-run
Some very good points but I’m afraid many of the problems with the new service are down to crewing levels and BA have said they will not be increased.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
New CW catering will start on the HKG LHR on the 13/02 and LHR HKG on the 14/02.
The new bedding will start one the 21/02 on the following routes.
ATL, DBX, HKG, IAD, IAH, KWI, LAX, JNB, PHL, RUY, SAN, SEA, SFO, SJC.
plus ORD, YYZ and MEX.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
That’s getting closer to LIM, please let them know they have until 28/3/18��.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:10 am

Am on BA31 to Hong Kong this evening. New service in place. Water bottle soon after boarding sorely needed as it's quite warm! Crew are working hard but it seems hard for them to keep up: my champagne arrived a good 15 minutes before my wife's did. And this in a business cabin only half-full! I hope some tweaks make things smoother, especially if the crew aren't getting their breaks!

The new amenity kit is nice though.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Housekeeping notice

One hundred and twenty-one posts have been moved to the New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion] thread. The reviews of the new soft product have been somewhat drowned out by reaction to the info CIHY has been sharing with us during recent days, so we can now use both threads in parallel.

Please continue to use this thread to post your reviews and experiences. For opinions, conjecture, rhetoric, and everything else relating to the roll out, please post in the other thread.

Thanks for your understanding

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: ba exec. emirates. virgin. etihad
Vancouver

I’ve reviewed the list at the start and no mention of Vancouver yet. Does anyone know if the new format will be rolled out to Vancouver flights by end Sep 2018?

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.