Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San Josι (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montrιal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:43 am

Thanks CWS - I should have guessed you would be the candidate to report on this. Thanks for all the detail and time spent. I think BA should have funded you on this flight.

The options look fantastic, and I do hope they can bring down the service time a bit.

It's interesting you note that the wines have been paired as The Reata Three Counties was on my BOS-LHR in July. Very nice though. Thinking the selection will of course evolve over time.

Is the butter a spreadable temp?

Looking forward to the sleeper service review in the coming days.

Thanks again for the time spent to keep us all informed.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The butter spreadabilty will depend on how long the trolleys are left out of the chiller before serving.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: Some
This looks excellent, thanks for the report CWS! I think arguably the mains don't look up to the standard of the rest of the Club World meal now.

Wonder what impact this will have on F loads to JFK, it really does erode the case for paying for F slightly without concomitant improvements in F catering.

If and when BA get around to doing something about the Club World seat I might actually actively choose BA Club World again, *if* this standard can be kept up (I think it's quite possible BA will decide this is all too expensive currently and can be provided more cheaply by cutting some of the choices / quality further down the line).
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I think arguably the mains don't look up to the standard of the rest of the Club World meal now.
Indeed, and smart of BA to not show these meals during the press freebie trip earlier this year.

Very telling that in 2017 they are happy to let Virgin keep the high ground in J (as they cook the ingredients separately and then plate them when they're ready) and keep the differentiation between Club World and First on their aircraft. Says a lot about who BA think their main competitors are.

Cooking vegetables for the same time as a chunk of protein is just crackers and only happens on aircraft and microwave ready meals!

Will be interesting to see how this affects the A380 food service - where some of their food is cooked separately and then combined - as part of the last CW improvement. Will the A380 keep this higher standard or will it come down to the regular BA standard?

Was surprised to see the heavy DO&CO branding - surely 2018 will see 'identical' food offerings from the non-East coast stations with other caterers. Great for DO&CO though, as it helps them when their contract comes up for negotiation.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Indeed, and smart of BA to not show these meals during the press freebie trip earlier this year.

Very telling that in 2017 they are happy to let Virgin keep the high ground in J (as they cook the ingredients separately and then plate them when they're ready) and keep the differentiation between Club World and First on their aircraft. Says a lot about who BA think their main competitors are.

Cooking vegetables for the same time as a chunk of protein is just crackers and only happens on aircraft and microwave ready meals!

Will be interesting to see how this affects the A380 food service - where some of their food is cooked separately and then combined - as part of the last CW improvement. Will the A380 keep this higher standard or will it come down to the regular BA standard? ...
Have you tasted the offerings to arrive at this conclusion? Those who have have stated that this is a huge and significant improvement.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Have you tasted the offerings to arrive at this conclusion? Those who have have stated that this is a huge and significant improvement.
No, I was flying F yesterday but I haven't seen anyone say the mains were a huge and significant improvement - have you seen this or tasted them? You can't expect the asparagus to be anywhere near good if it's been cooked in a dish next to the beef for the same amount of time.

I would hope and expect that the mains are a big improvement over the old meals served in WTP, but the comparison I was discussing was with a) the A380 meals which are separately cooked, and b) Virgin, who cook the main components separately too.

This is not to say the whole offering is bad and disastrous, just that the main part is currently worse than some other BA offerings and the airline that they used to be obsessed with competing with (for the younger readers, this wasn't always Norwegian )
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by 710 77345
No, I was flying F yesterday but I haven't seen anyone say the mains were a huge and significant improvement - have you seen this or tasted them? You can't expect the asparagus to be anywhere near good if it's been cooked in a dish next to the beef for the same amount of time.

I would hope and expect that the mains are a big improvement over the old meals served in WTP, but the comparison I was discussing was with a) the A380 meals which are separately cooked, and b) Virgin, who cook the main components separately too.

This is not to say the whole offering is bad and disastrous, just that the main part is currently worse than some other BA offerings and the airline that they used to be obsessed with competing with (for the younger readers, this wasn't always Norwegian )
They said the whole product was a huge and significant improvement. How can you say the main part is worse? You haven't tried it!

P.S. I think you mean reheated - the food isn't cooked on board.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:57 am

They said the whole product was a huge and significant improvement.

P.S. I think you mean reheated - the food isn't cooked on board.
OK, but read what I wrote - I was only talking about the main part of the service - as it's quite an interesting point to discuss and yesterday was the first time they let non-staff see the main courses. What did you think my conclusion was from post?

The main course is prepared in a worse way than BA's A380 CW beef, and with many of their competitors such as Virgin. You can't say it's better if you haven't tasted it, but feel free to bake asparagus for 20 minutes and see what's it like if you're unsure.

I did mean cooked, not reheated - if the food wasn't cooked on board the crew wouldn't be obligated to use temperature sticks to check it's at a safe temperature. That's not to say the food is being cooked from raw of course.

Last edited by 710 77345; Sep 2, 2017 at 7:08 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
Methinks some on here have over high expectations regarding airline food.

A few trips in Y and you will rediscover a love of CW scoff....I've yet to have a bad meal in CW.

My only complaint in the past was not being able to have dessert then cheese and it appears that is no longer going to be an issue.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by smokie36
Methinks some on here have over high expectations regarding airline food.

A few trips in Y and you will rediscover a love of CW scoff....I've yet to have a bad meal in CW.

My only complaint in the past was not being able to have dessert then cheese and it appears that is no longer going to be an issue.
I think the issue is perhaps the frame of reference some people on here have isn't BA Y but business class on other carriers.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I think the issue is perhaps the frame of reference some people on here have isn't BA Y but business class on other carriers.
My experience of QR is yes very fancy food but not enough of it.

EK has decent food too but its not streets ahead of BA.

The review here when and if rolled out across the service will place BA near the top of the tree food wise.

Obviously the biggest issue remains the seat but even bigger is cost and on that BA currently is a big winner for me as well.

I'd take BA longhaul over the ME3 as their CW seat is perfectly fine....having said that I booked my next trip yesterday on Gulf Air purely on price as it was insanely low.

I will let you all know how their "Sky Chef" performs.

I'm hoping for the at seat flambee experience.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
Presentation is excellent all round, IMO, and I'm delighted to see those tacky nut packets consigned to the dustbin.
Tacky they may well be but I think they're far more hygienic. IB have always served nuts or olives in bowls with the post departure drinks which I enjoyed until I came across an olive which had what looked like teeth marks in it. Put me right off them and got me wondering if they were slinging uneaten ones back into the jar for the return journey.

Nice to see some Argentine vino on the menu.

Last edited by HIDDY; Sep 2, 2017 at 7:24 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Cιlestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I haven't tasted the mains but am still critical because presentation is a huge part of it all. Who eats steak out of a bowl at home? However I am very appreciative of the upgrade to everything else which unfortunately shows the 'main event' as a relative weak point aesthetically. Admittedly this is just course of many but the natural focus.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
I sincerely hope the cabin temperature issue is being made loud and clear at the GLA during the course.

It's a very important part of the overall experience, but old habits die hard...

If you're too hot, please don't sweat in silence!
Ask a crew member to sweat with you?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
I've been shown the latest plans for the new Club seat and if they are followed through, they'll make these catering improvements look like small fry...
You are such a tease, but I like you.
amanx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.