Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by bafan
I wonder if they will do another big press event, to showcase the refined (real) service, with the 2 roll breadbasket and the paper sachets of S&P etc...?
I’m sure the press invitations will be out very soon.

In fact, just as soon any further (premium) ‘refinements’ have been sorted ......
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by subject2load

I’m sure the press invitations will be out very soon.

In fact, just as soon any further (premium) ‘refinements’ have been sorted ......

just waiting for the:

We have listened to our customers on the JFK route and decided to offer a much greater quality and choice than our trial, we are now offering our business customers the opportunity to experience the same, familiar, experience whilst sleeping as they do at home so they are invited to bring their own pillows, sheets and duvets (or sleeping bag) instead of our less familiar bedding, thereby giving them a truly exceptionally enhanced experience all our routes”

T8191 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:41 am

Chances of this service being rolled out for SIN 380 by March 7th? Bored of the drawstring bag that's for sure.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Absolutely none.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I was on the 182 on Tuesday night, must say the supper wasn’t stellar, I had a rather horrible chicken tikka and cauliflower korma - hubby had Rigatoni with a cream sauce and roasted artichoke.
The curry was really disappointing- which is surprising as BA usually do a passable version. Rigatoni was a little harder than al dente.
On the other hand we did have salt and pepper shakers and the nice comfy pillow made sleeping a lot easier.
Breakfast panini was uninspiring but I wasn’t expecting anything more.
I’m not sure the catering is improved ex JFK, but YMMV.
choosethedrew and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I have 3 (very full by the looks of it!) CWLCY returns this month, hopefully 1 will be upgraded.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:52 pm

Flying too YYZ in September and back from JFK so will hopefully get to enjoy on both legs. Will miss not having the miniatures as I do like mixing my own g and t
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wavery83
CBored of the drawstring bag that's for sure.
That's actually the part I now miss! The bags were useful for storing stuff afterwards and the lip balm stick was much more useful imho than the new little thing of balm that squirts out and is more of a gel. It's the only thing I used to use from the amenities.

The new amenity bag is like a little purse and is a bit feminine, too small and useless for anything after the flight. My OH recently flew J in Delta and although had mixed things to say about the flight the Tumi hard case amenity kit is definitely a keeper (although had similarly annoying lip balm!).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:47 pm

Today was my first opportunity to sample the day time CW service for LHR-JFK. Firstly, the crew today were excellent - definitely the strongest crew I have had in a long time, led by a CSD who clearly had high standards ^. The CSD welcomed all of the Golds in the cabin personally before take-off. Push back was 1 minute early (landing ~30 minutes ahead of schedule). Seat next to me was kept free thanks to Theoretical Seating block, in a ~60% full cabin.

The White Company bedding is far better than the previous offering. I would say the blanket is on par with AA, but the main BA pillow is slightly better (plumper). I like the small additional pillow that allows for more flexibility especially when lounging/eating.

Starter was both the antipasti and a half-serving of the sweetcorn soup. The antipasti was solid, mozzarella of good quality. The soup was average - far too thin for my liking - but tasted fine.

Main was the beef cheeks and lamb - I asked if it would be pink the middle, and the CSD said he would try. Unfortunately upon delivery, it was standard BA nuked meat. Feedback given on this to CSD. Overall the main was fine, the potatoes were nice as was the jus - quite tasty.

The desert selection was good - I went for the chocolate mousse, which was fine if a little small. I would have gone for the cheese afterwards, but there were no portions available after the rest of the cabin was served.

Afternoon tea was the 'sandwiches' - or slices of carbs with toppings. Overall they were fine. The scone was excellent and was very fresh and a good size.

Crockery and glassware is a major upgrade - very good indeed. Speed of service was rapid, I guess the crew have got to grips with it (although I did overhear that one CC on the other side that this was his first service of the new catering - I am sure he was helped by his more experienced colleagues).

Overall, it is clearly an upgrade to the regular CW product - kudos to BA for doing this, but they should be rightly lambasted for how long it is taking to roll-out network wide. I do see there are opportunities for future enhancements, so I am convinced BA will try to cut costs here and there, when finances require.

The new JFK bedding and catering shows how poor the non-JFK routes are, compared to competition.

Just need BA to roll-out a decent seat (all aisle access, less dense) and they could be onto a competitive J product, but not until 2019 at least I understand.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by PeterNem
That's actually the part I now miss! The bags were useful for storing stuff afterwards and the lip balm stick was much more useful imho than the new little thing of balm that squirts out and is more of a gel. It's the only thing I used to use from the amenities.

The new amenity bag is like a little purse and is a bit feminine, too small and useless for anything after the flight. My OH recently flew J in Delta and although had mixed things to say about the flight the Tumi hard case amenity kit is definitely a keeper (although had similarly annoying lip balm!).
Yeaaaah I wouldn’t disagree that it’s very useful for the gym and storing shoes but I could do with some replacements for my Democratic State of Qatar Airways ones.

Doesnt look like I get a choice anyways. I was excited about the bedding as well.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Today was my first opportunity to sample the day time CW service for LHR-JFK. Firstly, the crew today were excellent - definitely the strongest crew I have had in a long time, led by a CSD who clearly had high standards ^. The CSD welcomed all of the Golds in the cabin personally before take-off. Push back was 1 minute early (landing ~30 minutes ahead of schedule). Seat next to me was kept free thanks to Theoretical Seating block, in a ~60% full cabin.

Seat

The White Company bedding is far better than the previous offering. I would say the blanket is on par with AA, but the main BA pillow is slightly better (plumper). I like the small additional pillow that allows for more flexibility especially when lounging/eating.

Starter was both the antipasti and a half-serving of the sweetcorn soup. The antipasti was solid, mozzarella of good quality. The soup was average - far too thin for my liking - but tasted fine.

Main was the beef cheeks and lamb - I asked if it would be pink the middle, and the CSD said he would try. Unfortunately upon delivery, it was standard BA nuked meat. Feedback given on this to CSD. Overall the main was fine, the potatoes were nice as was the jus - quite tasty.

The desert selection was good - I went for the chocolate mousse, which was fine if a little small. I would have gone for the cheese afterwards, but there were no portions available after the rest of the cabin was served.

Afternoon tea was the 'sandwiches' - or slices of carbs with toppings. Overall they were fine. The scone was excellent and was very fresh and a good size.

Crockery and glassware is a major upgrade - very good indeed. Speed of service was rapid, I guess the crew have got to grips with it (although I did overhear that one CC on the other side that this was his first service of the new catering - I am sure he was helped by his more experienced colleagues).

Overall, it is clearly an upgrade to the regular CW product - kudos to BA for doing this, but they should be rightly lambasted for how long it is taking to roll-out network wide. I do see there are opportunities for future enhancements, so I am convinced BA will try to cut costs here and there, when finances require.

The new JFK bedding and catering shows how poor the non-JFK routes are, compared to competition.

Just need BA to roll-out a decent seat (all aisle access, less dense) and they could be onto a competitive J product, but not until 2019 at least I understand.
Seat itself I find very comfortable. More comfortable for sleeping than its lauded Gulf rival partner.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:57 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Has the menu changed since the initial rollout? I feel like I've been reading about mozzarella and beef cheeks for months.
Nuster and TPRun like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos

Nice review. Were you UD? Is pre-booking of food available yet, do you know? Booked to try BA175, but sadly not until April!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by TPRun
Is pre-booking of food available yet, do you know?
Yes, preordering of food is available. I've got it offered to me on a flight in about 10 days.
TPRun likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Yes, preordering of food is available. I've got it offered to me on a flight in about 10 days.
Good to know, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.