Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Concerto
I really enjoyed the service I had on my AUH-LHR flight the other night. Take off was at 01h50 local so meal service was provided on a single tray. Choice of Arabian mezze, mushroom soup or cheese with grapes. I had eaten in the Abu Dhabi lounge, but went for the mezze plate which was very nice, which had a yoghurt with it.

For breakfast, you complete a preorder card and hand it your CC member. I chose the omelette, which was very good. Tea was also excellent, which you would expect from British Airways. Later, when I finally get my MacBook Pro back from repair, I will post some pics.

For the bed and bedding, I found it one of the better I have experienced in recent months. For once it wasn't a struggle belting up with the buckle lying visible on top the blanket.
But this wouldn't have the new catering/bedding yet? It's only JFK flights at the moment.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Right, thanks for pointing that out. I should have realized that, obviously. So, I ended up being delighted with the service I got! I have been observing with increasing scorn what has been happening at BA, all the cost cutting and service reductions, and vowing to never fly BA again. And I got rebooked onto BA, expecting the utter worst, but had an excellent experience overall.
Tobias-UK, Calchas and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, BA Bronze, And EK silver
Does anyone know when will the new catering enhancements be rolled out next year? If so, what routes?

I'm in the process of booking a trip and currently trying to decide between AA or BA.

Cheers!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by den3aah
Does anyone know when will the new catering enhancements be rolled out next year? If so, what routes?

I'm in the process of booking a trip and currently trying to decide between AA or BA.

Cheers!
It may be worth saying your date/period and which route, as no doubt this will be rolled out to certain key routes first. Then some FTer may be able to help you better.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, BA Bronze, And EK silver
Absolutely.
I'm looking at Vancouver and Seattle June / July next year!

Thanks again
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by den3aah
I'm looking at Vancouver and Seattle June / July next year!
No more announcements are expected this year, though it could happen. If I were to speculate, I would guess Seattle would be a possibility since there is more competition on that route, and it's the sort of route and passenger profile that BA will prioritise.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On my one and and only return from JFK, there were some people who went to sleep soon after departure and a few who effectively only had a quick one tray solution. That was an 18:30 departure Eastern. From what I can make out, the crew - who are among BA's most experienced - are well aware of the needs of those who will be looking for a Sleeper style service.
Yes, thanks but not enough to convince me, especially when crew are saying that the concept is essentially gone. I've just booked my early December travel this morning, and the JFK-LHR return is on AA (not that BA cares, it still gets its slice) but at least I'll have a better overall seat and soft product despite the usual AA niggles of overnight travel (collecting the headsets, seat belt signs on for hours etc).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I would like to see the return of a one tray service with a hot sandwich, side salad and dessert.
Yikes, I sure wouldn't. I'm so fed up with BA sandwiches. They are invariably poor and the ratio of filling to bread is chronically wrong. Main course salad would be fine by me though.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yikes, I sure wouldn't. I'm so fed up with BA sandwiches. They are invariably poor and the ratio of filling to bread is chronically wrong. Main course salad would be fine by me though.
I think he meant the Sleeper one-tray solution, trying to avoid the "P" word! Unofficially it can happen now, or something similar, if you ask for it.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lucky op-up to 15D on Saturday (unusually a 777 to JFK) gave me chance to try the new catering off. Some thoughts below

* New glasses for pre-take off drinks

* Same crappy old damp towels, a missed opportunity for improvement

* Smart new menu on folded card, which I imagine has to be an item to be enhanced once budget cuts kick in as it looks expensive

* Tried 2 starters - the burrata and the salmon. Both were excellent, tasty, well presented and generally the best food I've eaten on BA, and indeed quite a few airlines. The trolley set up is very smart and works really well.

* The new 3 in 1 roll is super gimmicky. I would prefer more choice from a basket

* Crockery and glasses look great, smart, stylish and interesting. Really nicely done

* Mains were a little less impressive - the beef cheek lacked any crunch to offset the excess of fat. The steak was red inside (praise be) but the gravy far too rich and cloying. Liked the gnocchi

* Strange that no wine was offered during the hand running of the mains. Nice WW crew got me some but it was a special request rather than part of the routine

* Desserts looked great on the trolley. The strudel with vanilla sauce was amazing; the smell alone wafting through the cabin was appetising.

* It took a long, long time. 3h15 from take-off to getting my dessert. I had a lot of work to do and frustrating to have the table laid for much of that preventing me getting things done. That's mostly down to the profound shortcomings of the CW seat but I wonder if an express service is needed

* Great there is a less carb heavy option on the second service - the beef was tasty.

Overall a big step one and one to be applauded. My main was a bit meh but the rest of the food sparkled. I do still have reservations about the speed - it feels like a meal service to enchant the once a year traveller rather than fuel the Club regular so perhaps some tweaking to allow an express option is needed? But overall a strong effort and on par with the best business catering I've enjoyed.

However looking around the 777 dorm I was reminded of how much BA still have to work on. A seat that offers no useable storage space when dining so I literally had papers shoved down the side of my legs. The lack of direct aisle access for most seats. The inadequate lighting when blinds are down. No privacy at all in the aisle seats. The horrid middles.

To make Club a great product again will require a lot more than just the improved catering.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
A lucky op-up to 15D on Saturday (unusually a 777 to JFK) gave me chance to try the new catering off. Some thoughts below

* New glasses for pre-take off drinks

* Same crappy old damp towels, a missed opportunity for improvement

You were unlucky then, the new towels are much thicker and smell of cucumber.

* Smart new menu on folded card, which I imagine has to be an item to be enhanced once budget cuts kick in as it looks expensive

* Tried 2 starters - the burrata and the salmon. Both were excellent, tasty, well presented and generally the best food I've eaten on BA, and indeed quite a few airlines. The trolley set up is very smart and works really well.

* The new 3 in 1 roll is super gimmicky. I would prefer more choice from a basket

Love the new 3 in 1 bread roll, there is more if you want it and you get extra if you choose the soup

* Crockery and glasses look great, smart, stylish and interesting. Really nicely done

* Mains were a little less impressive - the beef cheek lacked any crunch to offset the excess of fat. The steak was red inside (praise be) but the gravy far too rich and cloying. Liked the gnocchi

* Strange that no wine was offered during the hand running of the mains. Nice WW crew got me some but it was a special request rather than part of the routine

The crew should pass through the cabin with more wine and water before serving the main courses.

* Desserts looked great on the trolley. The strudel with vanilla sauce was amazing; the smell alone wafting through the cabin was appetising.

* It took a long, long time. 3h15 from take-off to getting my dessert. I had a lot of work to do and frustrating to have the table laid for much of that preventing me getting things done. That's mostly down to the profound shortcomings of the CW seat but I wonder if an express service is needed

I’m sure the service will spread up but I think there needs to be a few changes to our routines.

* Great there is a less carb heavy option on the second service - the beef was tasty.

Did you get bread with the beef salad, you should have?

Overall a big step one and one to be applauded. My main was a bit meh but the rest of the food sparkled. I do still have reservations about the speed - it feels like a meal service to enchant the once a year traveller rather than fuel the Club regular so perhaps some tweaking to allow an express option is needed? But overall a strong effort and on par with the best business catering I've enjoyed.

However looking around the 777 dorm I was reminded of how much BA still have to work on. A seat that offers no useable storage space when dining so I literally had papers shoved down the side of my legs. The lack of direct aisle access for most seats. The inadequate lighting when blinds are down. No privacy at all in the aisle seats. The horrid middles.

To make Club a great product again will require a lot more than just the improved catering.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
But overall a strong effort and on par with the best business catering I've enjoyed.
Good to get this feedback and the constructive suggestions within, though it is annoying that it is taking so long; the 777 is also poorly staffed for this service, whereas the UD 747 should be able to get sub 2 hours overall (at least for the later services which tend to be more popular with the regulars). I would really encourage FTers not to book on the 777 to JFK since there should be plenty of 86J 747s to go around and it is a vastly better passenger experience, particularly in CW.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Any BA menu that actively encourages me to drink a glass of Champagne with breakfast gets my vote. Maybe Alex isn't such a .... after all.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Any BA menu that actively encourages me to drink a glass of Champagne with breakfast gets my vote. Maybe Alex isn't such a .... after all.
KYC..they probably know that many people in Club have to rush off into meetings, so won’t take them up on it... low cost!

Imagine printing “have a glass of Cava with breakfast” in WTP or WT (if they would serve cava), on a flight to BKK... half of the plane would need to be wheelchaired off
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:09 pm

How does everyone feel about getting single measures of spirits and not been able to mix their own G&T?

I notice the new standard is whatever spirit and mixer you request, it is now made up in the galley and served to you in the glass without the small bottle or can.

The good news is it’s less debris on your table but the crew are now instructed to only pour half the spirit in your glass and save the rest for the next passenger, meaning you only get a single measure unlike a double previously.

Plus I liked to mix it to my tastes rather than having it pre poured by someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.