Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
No-one has bothered to ask BA what they mean by £400m, or over what period they're talking about.

Based on the first post, it seems as though they're counting opex spend on catering as 'investment'. I'm surprised they are allowed to do this.
Harsh. A good spin doctor should re-announce the same investment several times over.

I think the government announced its rail electrification programme about 4 times [and then canned it on the day before a parliamentary recession].
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would guess it's just the bedding that will be missing from 1 September, and I would expect the new amenity kit to be made available.

I think it is worth posing questions like this (and, for example, the vegetarian main course query from gingeola) since we will be able to get answers to this on Friday.
Who will be providing these answers on Friday? Is a candidate lined up?

I do hope that this launch goes well for pax who get to experience it and that service is just as swift. To me, the meal service seems like it could create issues. I would expect that if crew are adhering to first meal choice for status pax that a menu is still available and that the status pax may get asked prior to trolley service...just a guess.

It's a shame about the bedding delay, which would be my number one on a return TATL flight. I may try and book my next BOS trip via JFK in Nov somehow to check it out.

It's good the investment is being made and agree with one poster above that states that BA will be much better with this, a new seat (which I am happy to wait a bit longer for) and WiFi.

I can't wait to get something new in the Amenity Kit department, as Mrs LavaJava already has a large supply of miniature Elemis. I hated those shoe bags as well.

Looking forward to the first hand updates in the coming months and actually hoping that BA can launch something without the usual hiccups, especially given that it's only going to JFK/WW first.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Starters:
Loch Fyne smoked salmon tartare with wasabi crème fraîche
Burrata and tomato carpaccio with olive oil and balsamic dressing
Creamy butternut squash soup with chive and sour cream
Fresh seasonal salad, grilled vegetables and a choice of French dressing or olive oil and balsamic dressing

EntreesMain Courses:
Best of Heritage beef homemade gnocchi in Café de Paris sauce and pan-fried green asparagus
Line-caught grilled Cornish Dover sole with Mediterranean lentils, celeriac mousseline and lemon butter
Homemade artichoke ravioli Parmesan

This picture has been annoying me for a while. Obviously it's the smoked salmon tartare and burrata starters on the same plate (cheat!), but there's also a third element of asparagus, some sort of dried/cured meat and parmesan. This doesn't appear on the menu at all (we have pan-fried green asparagus as part of the beef dish, but not the other two ingredients).

So effectively they're illustrating the new service with a combination of two dishes that you probably won't be able to have together, and adding a random third element that isn't actually a menu choice?!

Oh, and can I also take this chance to thank BA for giving vegetarians YET ANOTHER opportunity for some mozzarella and tomato on board: we don't get nearly enough of those two things on short haul flights already, after all!
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
No more steak?
Didn't everybody moan about the steak on here anyway?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lavajava
Who will be providing these answers on Friday? Is a candidate lined up?
A candidate has indeed been lined up, plus we should be getting some further input from BA giving background information.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by JustTheOne

This picture has been annoying me for a while. Obviously it's the smoked salmon tartare and burrata starters on the same plate (cheat!), but there's also a third element of asparagus, some sort of dried/cured meat and parmesan. This doesn't appear on the menu at all (we have pan-fried green asparagus as part of the beef dish, but not the other two ingredients).

So effectively they're illustrating the new service with a combination of two dishes that you probably won't be able to have together, and adding a random third element that isn't actually a menu choice?!

Oh, and can I also take this chance to thank BA for giving vegetarians YET ANOTHER opportunity for some mozzarella and tomato on board: we don't get nearly enough of those two things on short haul flights already, after all!
It is called spin and marketing - i.e. give the impression that the customer is receiving more than they are. As you point out it is three starters displayed on one plate to give the impression of more. If they displayed one of the starters alone then it would look quite measly.

Regarding your second comment, cheese and tomato are cheap therefore ideal for BA.

The critical analysis of how BA comes up with the £400m investment figure seems to be missing. How is it broken down ? Surely the new CW seat must be the lions share of this £400M?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Well I am looking forward to trying it on the 11th, personally. I will be approaching it with a glass is half full attitude. In this case, my glass will be half full of carefully curated vino.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
... This picture has been annoying me for a while. Obviously it's the smoked salmon tartare and burrata starters on the same plate (cheat!), but there's also a third element of asparagus, some sort of dried/cured meat and parmesan. This doesn't appear on the menu at all (we have pan-fried green asparagus as part of the beef dish, but not the other two ingredients) ...
The photo is from the #BAinvesting4U event where a selection of the appetisers were served.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Didn't everybody moan about the steak on here anyway?
Many people did, but personally I really liked it. On the face of it these changes sound encouraging, but then again so did the CE catering enhancements when they were announced only for it to very quickly become apparent that for most of us the outcome was a serious deterioration. BA reaps what it sows, so I don't blame some posters for being sceptical.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The photo is from the #BAinvesting4U event where a selection of the appetisers were served.
You beat me to it Tobias 😜
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
I had that exact wine list on a flight from Hong Kong last week, so the "carefully curated wine selection" is obviously not tied to the new catering arrangements on this route, despite BA's proclamations. To be fair, the Californian pinot noir was very quaffable.
Did you try the Malbec?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, KLM Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Platinium
I'm trying it on Friday... exciting new changes
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Given the disproportionate number of overweight (mostly men) I see in CW I really don't think BA needs to be encouraging the gluttony by feeding their customers even more calories (e.g. cheese and dessert).

I'd welcome options on board that are actually healthy and not laden with sugar, salt and refined carbs. Simple salad with protein? Snacks that aren't exclusively crap for you?

Oh and how about putting calories / nutritional information next to the menu items? Might make some think twice before stuffing more cake in their face.

And for those who say 'it doesn't affect you so why do you care', think about that next time you are next to a fat person snoring loudly on a flight or get woken up by a obese window passenger trying to climb over you but without the mobility to do so effectively.
fransknorge and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Well I am looking forward to trying it on the 11th, personally. I will be approaching it with a glass is half full attitude. In this case, my glass will be half full of carefully curated vino.
Me too - I really do hope it is dessert and cheese rather than or.
I like to have both and seeing as my JFK trip on the 5th is a holiday - why not ?

Now if only they could do something about the vodka.......
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Given the disproportionate number of overweight (mostly men) I see in CW I really don't think BA needs to be encouraging the gluttony by feeding their customers even more calories (e.g. cheese and dessert).

I'd welcome options on board that are actually healthy and not laden with sugar, salt and refined carbs. Simple salad with protein? Snacks that aren't exclusively crap for you?

Oh and how about putting calories / nutritional information next to the menu items? Might make some think twice before stuffing more cake in their face.

And for those who say 'it doesn't affect you so why do you care', think about that next time you are next to a fat person snoring loudly on a flight or get woken up by a obese window passenger trying to climb over you but without the mobility to do so effectively.
I love thoughtful, compassionate and tolerant people

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.