Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by clubman
I'm a bit late to this thread...

Assume you meant flight from New York rather than to New York, as you mentioned the day flight?

Personally I too would have been perfectly happy with the CW seat and £500 compensation, although I can see why people would be disappointed especially if this was for example a "one in a lifetime" trip in F.
Often airlines calculate price of a ticket as the one that is "avalable last or list price" when it wants to go against a pax. So in this case the OP should expect and ask for the difference in the pricing of the two seats ?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by KARFA
This still doesn't prove FLY is targeting companion vouchers though does it? There are potentially several downgrades at day by BA (in the context of several thousand passengers).

To prove that FLY systematically targets companion vouchers you either need to find someone in the know who confirms that is exactly what happens - my understanding is that someone in the know has actually said the opposite, or you need to show that downgrades are happening statistically more to companion vouchers than to any other subset of passenger.

I would agree of course that the advice the passenger was given about EC 261 by the agent was wrong.
Surely the logical thing to do if 241 bookings are treated equally, is to downgrade a single traveller rather than half of a pair. No incontrovertible evidence here, but this helps make a very strong case and is totally in keeping with the current disdain from management for regular travellers, which, to the credit of all crews I have been with recently (8 in last fortnight) has not yet slipped over to them
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:33 pm

People get downgraded all the time. I just hope the people who are downgraded make sure they claim compensation. Too many people are uninformed about their rights and the airlines will take advantage of this, knowing it can book people at crazy rates a couple days before and push passengers off who had booked much earlier. I understand the business reasoning for this...but still it's not the right way in my opinion.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SvenAge
People get downgraded all the time. I just hope the people who are downgraded make sure they claim compensation. Too many people are uninformed about their rights and the airlines will take advantage of this, knowing it can book people at crazy rates a couple days before and push passengers off who had booked much earlier. I understand the business reasoning for this...but still it's not the right way in my opinion.
The "right way " is what the T & C / C Contract says OR what the BA personnel lead an unsuspecting pax as to what is the right way !
The business priority of selling / getting a higher $ for that seat by moving someone who already has a confirmed passage is purely short sighted and with a determined pax a sure way to garner a lot of negative publicity and maybe a penalty !
SvenAge likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
I am guessing there is also a difference in the tax you paid if you are downgraded from J. Do any of you ever receive the difference in APD taxes back?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cayman4522
I am guessing there is also a difference in the tax you paid if you are downgraded from J. Do any of you ever receive the difference in APD taxes back?
There is no difference in taxes/fees/charges between F and J usually. Going down to WTP there would be no APD difference, but there would be a reduction in carrier surcharge usually.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by brentford77
Surely the logical thing to do if 241 bookings are treated equally, is to downgrade a single traveller rather than half of a pair. No incontrovertible evidence here, but this helps make a very strong case and is totally in keeping with the current disdain from management for regular travellers, which, to the credit of all crews I have been with recently (8 in last fortnight) has not yet slipped over to them
Not sure single travellers would agree. If BA did this wouldn't it show disdain for single travellers, who may be the high revenue spend people they want. Based on no experience and only what I've read it seems there is still insufficient effort to identify and bribe volunteers.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by dougzz
Not sure single travellers would agree. If BA did this wouldn't it show disdain for single travellers, who may be the high revenue spend people they want. Based on no experience and only what I've read it seems there is still insufficient effort to identify and bribe volunteers.
Who has had this offer recently?

Isn't it the case that no such effort is made?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Are people really getting downgraded often, cabin crew always know about any downgrades I can only remember one in the last year?
Calchas and madfish like this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Are people really getting downgraded often, cabin crew always know about any downgrades I can only remember one in the last year?
No, but those voices suggesting downgrades are a very rare occurrence are drowned out by those who insist on moaning, complaing and whining at every opportunity.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
No, but those voices suggesting downgrades are a very rare occurrence are drowned out by those who insist on moaning, complaing and whining at every opportunity.
Oh come on, this is FT, what do you expect?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
And because the thread refers to an article on one of the UK's most influential and (and now award winning) travel blogs
Some blogs require something to talk about even when there is no substantial news. @:-)
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
I don't think they are being drowned out - you are very vocal in your opinions and have given Raffles a bit of a beating in this thread! Try not to take discussion of BA too personally - users of 241s (and there are many of us) do find this discussion interesting even if we are no closer to a definitive answer
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Ned1968
I don't think they are being drowned out - you are very vocal in your opinions and have given Raffles a bit of a beating in this thread! Try not to take discussion of BA too personally - users of 241s (and there are many of us) do find this discussion interesting even if we are no closer to a definitive answer
Why would I take discussion about BA personally?

I haven’t given Raffles a beating, what I have done is challenged his assertions. The article under discussion is based on a false premise and gives a wrong or misleading impression of the rights and remidies available at law to those affected by such downgrades.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Why would I take discussion about BA personally?

I haven’t given Raffles a beating, what I have done is challenged his assertions. The article under discussion is based on a false premise and gives a wrong or misleading impression of the rights and remidies available at law to those affected by such downgrades.
"Nonsense"..."You really should limit your advice/assertions to areas where you have knowledge. This statement is misleading"

This language and tone suggests more than just challenging an assertion - perhaps it's just an approach that is more adversarial and confrontational than most of us non-lawyers would take in a friendly discussion. Ambassadors are usually more diplomatic :-)
HMPS and mec72 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.