Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the furthest you've flown for the shortest amount of time on leisure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the furthest you've flown for the shortest amount of time on leisure?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: Nothing spectacular
Had some Southwest points expiring, so I flew to LAX for the night. As a 15 year old I don't get to fly as much as I would like, so it was an adventure to say the least. Flew down at night and then flew home to PDX the next day. Certainly not as far as some of your guy's trips, but it was fun nonetheless. I'm writing a trip report about it on my blog which I've linked below.

If you want to check out the trip report on my blog here it is:

https://theflyingguy.wordpress.com/

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I did YYC-LHR for a weekend in London and back for work on Monday.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:37 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Did GLA-LHR-LAS last year, out Wednesday and back on the 21:00 departure leaving Vegas on the Sunday night.

Off to SIN next week for the F1 race. Leave GLA late Wednesday on EK arrive SIN Thursday night. F1 race FRI,SAT,SUN then back to GLA on the Monday.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
For leisure...plenty of one-day / one-night hops around Europe. Other than that, have done NYC for a couple of times out Thursday back Sunday (sometimes on the Sunday morning daytime flight...). And one Wednesday-Sunday trip to Texas.

Not too adventurous...contrast with work trips where start & end at LHR within 48 hours to & from the East Coast / Chicago are the norm
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Nothing too extreme but I did once worked in the office Thursday, took EWR-LHR at 23:05 Thursday night when they still ran the 186, dinner Friday, party Saturday, LHR-EWR Sunday afternoon, worked Monday.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
MIA for 2 nights for Global Entry interview

For work LHR-ORD for 1 night for a meeting
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: BA, KL
day 1: AMS-LHR-LAX to meet with team and review proposals for our Chinese contacts. one night in LAX.
day 2: LAX-HKG-CAN to meet with Chinese team. one night in Guangzhou.
day 3: CAN-HKG-AMS.
not too bad actually, never adjusted to different timezones, and all was flown in C.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:02 am

LAX/SAN for 48 hours for a weding in WT+. Flew into SAN on a Friday, saw family, took the train up to LA on Sat. Wedding on Sat night and flew back to LHR from LAX on Sunday. Was op-uped to J on the way back. Had a terrible cold all through it.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Feel like an amateur compared to some tales on here but went MAN-ORD-LAS-SFO-LAX-LHR-MAN a fortnight last Saturday for 36hrs in Vegas for the fight
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Back in the days when I had staff travel, I travelled (from London) to Singapore for 24 hours for a friend's wedding. Had to sit in the jump seat on the return flight though, for the whole flight, given the flight was full, which was pretty grim!

Also did separate 48 hour weekend visits (each from London) to Las Vegas and Bermuda, again on staff travel.

The visits were great, as the short period of time forces you to make the most of your visit; you just feel knackered at the end of them!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
For leisure New York and Toronto for three days.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
LHR-ICN and back the next day with a bunch of FTers on the absurdly good £777 CW deal when the route launched 5 years ago
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:41 pm

3 nights in Antigua from the UK
2 nights in NYC for a weekend from UK
I love short weekend trips and want to do more of them. Cape Town is on my list next
Hope you manage to find a good trip
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Vgravity
I've got to redeeem a Lloyds upgrade voucher but have limited time to use it. Need somewhere to go for three days - Bermuda looks like a good bet.

However Santiago is available too and would be quite entertaining for a few days skiing. But it feels a bit ridiculous to head there for just three days.

It got me thinking, what's the furthest you've flown for the shortest amount of time. Back-to-backs in HNL and TP runs excluded!
I flew LAX-JFK-MIA-SCL to spend a 16 hours wandering around the city of Santiago and then back again. Three long-haul redeyes but was luckily upgraded to Biz for two. Technically, was a MR, not "pleasure", but still was fun!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:59 pm

12 years ago, I was in New Zealand for several months. Was due to fly back to the UK late Aug. My grandmother loved her gossip magazines, especially the competitions. For 70 odd years she never won anything. That summer though, she won a holiday for 2 to Fiji. Except, sod's law, she was too ill to travel by that point.

My grandfather still wanted to go and wanted me to go with him, apparently because "I was good with airports".

So I paid £50 to change my SQ Y flight and travel back to the UK to pick him up. Spent one night there, then flew on the free ticket to Fiji.

My routing was:
CHC-SIN-LHR-ABZ-LHR-LAX-NAN

That was all in economy. The SQ segments were in exit rows, and their AVOD system was pretty good considering this was 2015. The NZ segment to LAX was okay too, we were in an exit row, though I think there were only overhead TVs iirc. The LAX-NAN was a 767 and was showing it's age even back then.

Interestingly, the return segment LAX-LHR was on an almost empty NZ 747 and this is the only time I've ever had 4 seats to myself on an overnight flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.