Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
You mean the new blankets and moisturiser? Window dressing if ever it was. If it was that important, it would be fleet-wide on September 1st, not delivered over the best part of six months.

It's all about the seat. No new seat has been announced and there's no commitment to deliver it fleet wide, quickly.

The current iteration will be flying well into the 2020s on some aircraft.
This goes to the heart of the problem.

Very minor tweaks - seen by BA as relatively cheap, quick-fixes - are heralded by management with almost as much enthusiasm as the genuinely game-changing enhancements to QR's J class proposition.

It is, sadly, a reflection of where the once-innovative BA now sits in terms of new product development.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You know exactly what I mean. Have your maon if you have to but I will not play your games.
It's not about games, it's about real, substantive change that needs to happen.

I think BA are a little like an alcoholic - until they recognise that they have a problem, and admit it to themselves, they won't change.

There are some small glimmers of hope that they are at last starting to admit this (or some people in the organisation are).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:34 am
Suspended

Has there been any clues as to what J seat the B787-10s will be fitted with?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

I think BA are a little like an alcoholic - until they recognise that they have a problem, and admit it to themselves, they won't change.

There are some small glimmers of hope that they are at last starting to admit this (or some people in the organisation are).
That's an interesting analogy (my bold)

Maybe not just an alcoholic - but an alcoholic who happens to be a pub landlord too.

And for as long as lots of people continue to patronise your pub, then as landlord you perhaps feel no pressing motivation to change your ways ........ ?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Clearly you have to differentiate BA's Business product from its economy product.

I think BA has dropped the ball badly in Business - it must have as it's the price leader if London isn't the origin or the destination, and the price leader amongst other connecting options. Relying on monopoly power at LHR may make short term business sense but will lead to a despised brand.

In Economy, I think it's suffering from being the first mover amongst quality European airlines. The logic of unbundling is unstoppable in a world dominated by the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair. But being the first major to do it in Europe means that the opprobrium will stick with BA.

My daughter, up to now a huge BA fan, was truly shocked at BA on a four hour business trip within Europe. And even more shocked when, a week later, she flew Brussels Airlines on forty minute business trip and saw what BA's competition can manage. Unless the others follow suit within a year or two, BA might have to roll back the changes, not because they aren't the sensible thing to do, but because a brand can suffer only so much damage.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load
To my mind it's very difficult indeed to see any meaningful correlation between Waitrose and BA where brand image is concerned. Their respective fundamental approach to quality is quite different.

When Waitrose introduced their 'Essentials' range, they did so from a strong position in their market sector as a highly-respected premium brand, where customer service has always been a key element of their business culture.

In terms of perception, BA do not of course have that same luxury, simply because they are not currently seen as a 'premium brand'.
I often feel it is a sad world where those who do not know reality are hoodwinked by alternative facts.

In terms of brand perception (perhaps not on FT, but whose knows what agenda or brief some hold), BA is very much perceived as a premium brand.

Care to share any market research that shows that differently?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
In Economy, I think it's suffering from being the first mover amongst quality European airlines. The logic of unbundling is unstoppable in a world dominated by the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair. But being the first major to do it in Europe means that the opprobrium will stick with BA.
They aren't the first mover. EI did this years ago. IB hasn't had free catering for years. KL did it for a while and then rolled-back to free catering (but still has a very confusing baggage policy). I won't even get into the complexity of earning points on AF operated by A5.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
With regard improvements, it's all a bit "jam tomorrow." Where's the new seat? Where's the lounge upgrades - seems to be news to many on here. Where's the JFK refurb? Where's the new catering?

Back in 2000 or so they "dusked" pretty much the entire long haul fleet in 18 months. Why can't they do that now?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

In order to recognize a problem the problem needs to exist. Just because a few people do not find CW aspirational enough or do not like that BA is not QR or CX does not make it a problem if CW is popular with passengers. I think some people need to recognize their problem and that not everyone is flying to get the best seat, food, or lounge. Most people simply want to go where they need to be. The real world is very different.

Originally Posted by subject2load
And for as long as lots of people continue to patronise your pub, then as landlord you perhaps feel no pressing motivation to change your ways ........ ?
Yes, if the general public like CW then the vocal minority who don't will have to find that perfect seat on a different airline rather than expect BA to install it specifically for them.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
With regard improvements, it's all a bit "jam tomorrow." Where's the new seat? Where's the lounge upgrades - seems to be news to many on here. Where's the JFK refurb? Where's the new catering?

Back in 2000 or so they "dusked" pretty much the entire long haul fleet in 18 months. Why can't they do that now?
We are talking major capital expenditure for what commercial benefit? The world in 2000 was before 9/11 or the 2008 financial crash. However, BA rolled out a new CW (NNCW) seat in two years (2006-08) and followed it with a new F seat.

I am not sure how much changes over the years with the seats. IT and IFE will change quickly. Seats how do? Materials? Layouts?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I haven't seen this before . I always chuckle at the Essential Scottish smoked salmon, personallly.
My favourite is their Essentials Trifle.

An oxymoron if ever there was one!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Andriyko
In order to recognize a problem the problem needs to exist. Just because a few people do not find CW aspirational enough or do not like that BA is not QR or CX does not make it a problem if CW is popular with passengers. I think some people need to recognize their problem and that not everyone is flying to get the best seat, food, or lounge. Most people simply want to go where they need to be. The real world is very different.
Sensible post.

People seem obsessed with the notion that things have to change on a regular basis. Even when something still works they feel this need to change it for the latest model.
Is it all just to keep up with the Joneses or have they been brainwashed by the electronics industry?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Andriyko

Yes, if the general public like CW then the vocal minority who don't will have to find that perfect seat on a different airline rather than expect BA to install it specifically for them.
Very well put, and I agree entirely. I don't find the BA CW seat very comfortable or convenient, and try to use an AAlternative option when possible. I don't expect BA to rebuild their fleet to suit me.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sensible post.

People seem obsessed with the notion that things have to change on a regular basis. Even when something still works they feel this need to change it for the latest model.
Is it all just to keep up with the Joneses or have they been brainwashed by the electronics industry?
^
There is an element of "needing" the latest iPhone or whatever. But for many people, BA CW works OK ... otherwise the cabin would be empty. Although BA's route network helps too.

Last edited by T8191; Jul 23, 2017 at 8:56 am
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by seat 13a
He outlined a radical plan to split the airline into two — a budget airline and a posh one — which he said would make BA a “fantastic, unbelievable, 10 out of 10” carrier again. “The best airline in Britain, and the best airline in Europe.”
His language is Donald Trump, circa 2016, and his thinking is Continental Airlines, circa 1993. Will it never occur to Willie Walsh that this guy is a few mussels short of a paella?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Neither. It's business, that's all.

If enough passengers prefer the competition to affect BA's bottom line, then they will do whatever necessary to regain their position. AC confirmed they are falling behind, so we know that the bottom line is being affected. They will of course only move as fast as they must. In the meantime, those of us that either value the difference or aren't forced to depart LHR will continue to vote with their wallets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.