Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by offshore_bob
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread (search revealed nothing) but moneysavingexpert published a blog post yesterday on BA's BoB, jumping on the ABBA bandwagon. They took contributions from 3 members on here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tea...ays-shambolic/

"On the Flyertalk forum, Tristar 1979, who presumably works for BA, wrote: “Just welcomed a group of customers who called it ‘Hungary Airways’ because there was no food left to buy.”

On the same forum corporate-wage-slave said: “They routinely sell out of short-dated items (sandwiches) on the outbound and do not have any for the return.”

And Toonfan said: “Trolley service, when it finally started, was pitifully slow and they ran out of sandwiches about seven rows… [into economy].”
It was mentioned in this thread yesterday http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28602604-post1857.html
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
It was mentioned in this thread yesterday http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28602604-post1857.html
Ah thanks, didn't check that thread
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Grog
My response to: ABBA - Anyone but BA

(sung to the tune of...oh, you'll figure it out.)

If you change your mind, BA's the first in line
Honey, they'll be free
Or will you Flybe?
If you need them, let them know, gonna be around
If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down.

If you're all alone, when the Kranich's flown,
Honey, BA's free,
And you're trapped emotionally.

Gonna do their very best and it ain't no lie (cough!)
If you put them to the test, if you let them try (cough cough!)

'Cause you know they got
So much BA wanna do, when they put the screws to you
It's magic!
You think you can leave it there, cut this love/hate affair?
But I think you know
That you can't let go...
Very good! I can't find my 'one-liner', "If you change your mind", but my wife just said she didn't understand me (as usual!), but your ditty is so much better.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Low cost airlines do not fly from Heathrow. Low cost airlines do not have cabin crew who've been flying for 25 years. Low cost airlines do not have enormous pension deficits.

Do do you really think a passenger paying a fare component of £1 is not being subsidised by a passenger some place else? Do you know what the minimum ticket price BA needs to charge from LHR, excluding taxes, in order to make a profit?

BA could not survive in its current form without premium passengers. If they leave, or their yields reduce, the future isn't rosy.
You are, of course, quite right. There is one element no one has taken into account as we very rarely mention it, and that is freight. It is highly lucrative and it doesn't kick off about panini or leg room (). I have no recent figures available but freight and mail can pay for a lot of the costs of a flight. I am almost certain that Low Costs carry little or no freight - they'd never achieve those turn around times.

Just a thought.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I strongly suspect IAG long term goal is to create a standard 'airline platform' for all airlines that it owns to operate under. Each airline will no longer have an executive board per se but just a general manager to oversee the operation and report back to the IAG board will be in charge of setting strategy.

Pilots and Cabin crew will either be self-employed or supplied for a central pool of offshored personnel from either eastern European or Asia.
Generic cabins & service on all airlines. The only different thing you may notice if just colours for planes and uniforms that operate in specific regions.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by simons1
It isn't that black and white. It depends on more things such as schedules, location etc.

As I live close to LGW I would anticipate in a) I would use EK and in b) debatable/not sure.
Hahaha I was going to add a joking D option 'EK via DXB'

My sister, now living very close to LGW takes Norwegian every time based solely on convenience, which as you say, for most will always trump a nice warm Shwarma instead of a mars bar
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by icegirl
I strongly suspect IAG long term goal is to create a standard 'airline platform' for all airlines that it owns to operate under. Each airline will no longer have an executive board per se but just a general manager to oversee the operation and report back to the IAG board will be in charge of setting strategy.

Pilots and Cabin crew will either be self-employed or supplied for a central pool of offshored personnel from either eastern European or Asia.
Generic cabins & service on all airlines. The only different thing you may notice if just colours for planes and uniforms that operate in specific regions.
That is all very well if the service is of a high standard but I think a lot of people would then be looking for some differentiation... not everyone likes/wants the same kind of service.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
That is all very well if the service is of a high standard but I think a lot of people would then be looking for some differentiation... not everyone likes/wants the same kind of service.
So far the only thing I can work out is everyone wants 5 star products and service, with fair pay along with terms and conditions for all employees and paying little as possible for the ticket. Top this with high profits giving suitable shareholder returns yoy.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by 1010101
Of course some of them are subsidised. Airlines run on single digits margins, typically 5% or less.

An A320 costs VERY roughly $3,000 per hour to operate. That 2.5 hour Alicante flight for £21 costs about $50-55 per passenger at BA's average load factor. That doesn't include all the additional functions going on at HQ.
The actual words from the person I was replying to were:

Do you really think your ET fare covers 100% of the cost of your flight? The person up the front paying over the odds for their "101 improvements" is actually subsidising you

They suggested that all ET seats are subsidised which would be a bizarre way to run a business, especially given that there are no-frills carriers such as Eurowings that fly into LHR, and I am not aware of them being state run subsidised businesses.

In any case, where seats are sold below cost they are not subsidised in the sense that BA is not deliberately charging more for Club in order to enable it to charge less for certain seats in Y out of some kind of act of charity. It charges what the market can bear for each seat, aiming to maximise revenue. It it sells a seat at a loss it is because it can't find anyone to pay more and would rather have any revenue than none.

A subsidy refers to a sum of money taken from one source and specifically allocated to another to enable/encourage it to happen. This is not the case with flying. As the model of virtually every airline on earth shows us, it is not up front flying that enables economy, but if anything, vice versa.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was looking at an ex AMS CW fare to here the other week which was around the same price as a WT ticket from LHR to EZE.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I was looking at an ex AMS CW fare to here the other week which was around the same price as a WT ticket from LHR to EZE.
And that, my friend, is why some of us do much-derided ex-EU flights, even if they require extra (TP earning) sectors!

How the airline economics of all that works completely eludes me, and I don't need to know anyway. Price can easily trump the convenience of a direct flight.

And I remember flying CW to Jamaica for £999 ... the same price as WT+
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
And that, my friend, is why some of us do much-derided ex-EU flights, even if they require extra (TP earning) sectors!

How the airline economics of all that works completely eludes me, and I don't need to know anyway. Price can easily trump the convenience of a direct flight.

And I remember flying CW to Jamaica for £999 ... the same price as WT+
Nothing wrong with doing exEU's....I may be buying and nesting them in the future.

I wonder how many exEU passengers fly with BA today compared to 30 or 40 years ago? If BA are dishing out more cheap CW fares to mainland Europeans then it's no wonder they've had to cut costs. If that's the secret to their financial success you can't knock it.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by nallison
The actual words from the person I was replying to were:

Do you really think your ET fare covers 100% of the cost of your flight? The person up the front paying over the odds for their "101 improvements" is actually subsidising you

They suggested that all ET seats are subsidised which would be a bizarre way to run a business, especially given that there are no-frills carriers such as Eurowings that fly into LHR, and I am not aware of them being state run subsidised businesses.
No they didn't and that is quite an extrapolation. They were suggesting that the lower fare buckets don't cover their costs.

Each flight will have a cost that is known in advance and those in the lower fare buckets don't contribute that much. That is disproportionately covered in the flex and semi-flex classes which come into play when the cheaper fares have gone. All airlines run that way. Even Ryanair.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You are, of course, quite right. There is one element no one has taken into account as we very rarely mention it, and that is freight. It is highly lucrative and it doesn't kick off about panini or leg room (). I have no recent figures available but freight and mail can pay for a lot of the costs of a flight. I am almost certain that Low Costs carry little or no freight - they'd never achieve those turn around times.

Just a thought.
I felt quite a bit like freight myself last time I flew ET. Self-loading so as to not out too much burden on the airline, of course.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by srbrenna
No they didn't and that is quite an extrapolation. They were suggesting that the lower fare buckets don't cover their costs.

Each flight will have a cost that is known in advance and those in the lower fare buckets don't contribute that much. That is disproportionately covered in the flex and semi-flex classes which come into play when the cheaper fares have gone. All airlines run that way. Even Ryanair.
Err, yes, I l know, that's exactly what I said in the part chose not to quote. And such demand management has nothing to do with passengers up front subsidising ET.

I don't see any mention of lower fare buckets in their post, only a broad mention of ET, but maybe I missed some context from earlier discussion?
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.