Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Oh dear

I'm not going to be dragged in to a pointless discussion. There is plenty information on FT about the imminent upgrade of the Club World product, the new service, the new seat (which is due in 2018/19) and the lounge upgrades.
Ah yes the imminent upgrade. Upgraded bedding ON NIGHT FLIGHTS

The new service. Pick your starter from the trolley. (Meaning it's now first come first served so premium card holders no longer benefit from cardholder prioritisation) and also now only three main courses instead of 4.

Maximise your sleep time onboard (I.e. Reduced service onboard)

Ah yes, the new seat, which is only going on new aircraft, which is almost two years away.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
It is rather a sad state of affairs when the reason to prefer BA is that they don't bother you much with inflight service, isn't it?
Well, yes, but in fairness as I said, I only have 2 priorities on short TATLs - a flatbed and sleep. Anything else provided/offered detracts from this.

I will likely have eaten in the city beforehand, or grabbed something at the school dinners - sorry, "Pre-Flight Supper". As for breakfast, it is a BA breakfast so not really something that I want to eat.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by seat 13a

Cost-cutting is not only unhelpful but unnecessary, because BA is highly profitable. Operating profits at IAG have risen sharply from €503m in 2011 to €2.5bn in 2016. Operating profits at BA are up from £518m to£1.47bn in the same period.
Considering the fall in oil prices in that period and how much of the BA fleet is fuel guzzling 747's, they'd have to be completely incompetent to not have their profits rise when such a substantial expenditure as fuel falls so much in price. In 2011 jet fuel was $3.23/US gallon ( I could only find US prices, but BA does buy a lot of fuel in the US) and in in 2016 it had dropped to $0.93/gallon. A 3.5X drop in fuel prices nicely correlates with a 3X rise in profits at BA.

Last edited by Jagboi; Jul 23, 2017 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load
Nothing to be 'sad' about (what a strange description !). In truth it's all about just what sort of criteria different people set for 'premium brands'.

It's not the first time that criticism/ negative comment towards BA on this forum has been dismissed as being characterised by an agenda borne out of "alternative facts" - or allegedly unrepresentative of how the general public, outside the narrow prism of Flyertalk, might feel. And certainly it won't be the last.

But perhaps I've been "hoodwinked" by widespread reports of BA's incompetent early handling of the recent IT meltdown ...... hoodwinked too by their lack of innovation in terms of new J class seating & hard product development........ by the wholly unsatisfactory nature of cut & paste, and/or sometimes meaningless, responses to legitimate, often serious, written complaints .......by the ongoing problems surrounding BoB, well over six months after its introduction ......by the airline's low position on Skytrax ratings .......by constant criticism of BA's approach to customer service in the wider print media. And so on, and so on.

It must be said that BA has lots of happy supporters and loyalists. But then lots of people are happy to shop at Lidl and Aldi (as I sometimes am), to fly EasyJet (as I sometimes am), or to buy Ford motor cars. They all offer enough to satisfy many, many people. But very rarely do you hear them being referred to as 'premium brands'.

As stated earlier : the day I can be assured of boarding and flying on a BA aircraft with a similar level of efficiency, product quality, and service standards as experienced when patronising Waitrose or John Lewis, then I can confidently regard them as a premium carrier.

The loads are very good - but let's see if they really can make the improvements that - according to Sr. Cruz himself - are overdue. Time will tell.
Then I would suggest that rather than spouting views that you have read elsewhere and are unlikely to have experienced yourself, you should take your business elsewhere. I doubt BA will be concerned, as I suspect your business was non-existent!

If you would like to experience a Waitrose or John Lewis store, I can help.

Last edited by FrancisA; Jul 23, 2017 at 12:15 pm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Prospero
It is interesting to read the pleas for a new CW seat.......I'd be delighted to see an evolution of the current yin yang concept - one that's wider and offers direct access to the aisle for all......
Sounds like QR's Q suite http://www.qatarairways.com/us/en/qsuite.page
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by FrancisA
Then I would suggest that rather then spouting views that you have read elsewhere and are unlikely to have experienced yourself, you should take your business elsewhere. I doubt BA will be concerned, as I suspect it was non-existent!

I can also give you directions to Waitrose and John Lewis stores, if you would like to experince them.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by seat 13a
A little more from Mr Cruz....

He outlined a radical plan to split the airline into two — a budget airline and a posh one — which he said would make BA a “fantastic, unbelievable, 10 out of 10” carrier again. “The best airline in Britain, and the best airline in Europe.”
He sounds like Donald Trump, and about as believable. Then again, Donald Trump would probably overspend on the onboard product.

it has been in areas other than CW where the brand is greater exposed:
- IRROPs management
- short haul product
- customer services
This. Tweaking the onboard product would be more forgivable if these other areas weren't weak, even in comparison to many LCCs. This is why BA is perceived to be in such a slide. With every rollout of "enhanced" service or product juxtaposed with some failure in basic airline ops it certainly makes you think management has its priorities backwards. I wonder how things would be different if BA had not had its IT breakdown and instead took the money lost in that incident and invested in its product and employees.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by richardwft
Sounds like QR's Q suite http://www.qatarairways.com/us/en/qsuite.page
JAL and WY both offer a product which has direct aisle access, and would likely suit the BA density model, opposed to the QR Quite.

M
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
He sounds like Donald Trump, and about as believable. Then again, Donald Trump would probably overspend on the onboard product.

This. Tweaking the onboard product would be more forgivable if these other areas weren't weak, even in comparison to many LCCs. This is why BA is perceived to be in such a slide. With every rollout of "enhanced" service or product juxtaposed with some failure in basic airline ops it certainly makes you think management has its priorities backwards. I wonder how things would be different if BA had not had its IT breakdown and instead took the money lost in that incident and invested in its product and employees.
Where is the slide? Perceptions or realities?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by simons1
It's a hypothetical question. Right now the answer is zero, because I have a supplier who provides it for free.
It is a hypothetical question, one it seems you can't answer! Which is probably the reason airlines are pulling here service aspects. People can not put an easy value on them.

For anyone who cares to answer, if you were taking a family of 5 say to NYC and back, how much extra would you pay for better food, specifically a better second meal?

I think I may go at £5pp.

The fact that the likes of Norwegian are offering fares without food, show there's an appetite there (gag slightly intended!) for people to save money here. Therefore will people really pick alternative, less convenient services because they would only get a chocolate bar on BA?. Sadly I think not
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Oh dear, oh dear, Francis A.

I'm genuinely at a loss to understand why you choose to make your posts so aggressive in tone - rather than simply expressing your own thoughts, and debating without resort to personal attack. Perhaps your annoyance stemmed from the fact that several contributors to the thread have been strongly critical of BA service standards.

Defend BA at all costs if you wish - but please do try to accept also that many others may at times have good cause to adopt a very different stance & perspective. This is a Forum for those who travel on BA and other airlines. It's not a fan club.

You have already talked about me being "hoodwinked", and now you refer rather unkindly to me "spouting" views that you erroneously assume I have only "read elsewhere". You go even further by claiming - without absolutely zero foundation (and totally incorrectly, I might add) - that I lack current-day first-hand experience of BA. Why would you want to make such random assumptions ? Is it just because I don't share your opinion ?

A little more courtesy to fellow-posters please, along with an appreciation that BA's passengers come in many guises.
jhjunc likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I agree that BA has over leveraged it's brand which has led to it taking a substantial beating on multiple fronts but it has been in areas other than CW where the brand is greater exposed:
- IRROPs management
- short haul product
- customer services

I realise bashing BA has become a national pastime, much of it deserved but if you read the other forums on FT, BA's competitors are getting tongue lashed too.
As usual, a fair and accurate summary. Which is all the more valuable given this comment, also fair and accurate.

Originally Posted by simons1
Let's face it if BA reverted to flying people around in RAF type conditions there are posters who would say how fantastic it all was.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Many thanks to seat 13a for the summary, very helpful.

I guess that is the risk, but arguably that is exactly what Emirates and Singapore do now: their reputation among the general public is very high, but going down the back of either airline isn't going to give many clues as to why that would be.
Oh CWS, you are a world of knowledge for which we are all grateful, but perhaps have revealed your blind spot here? I wonder if BA management have the same issue, how often do they fly Y on other carriers?

You've named possibly the two best carriers in the world for Y. SQ in particular is incredible, and the difference between them and BA is beyond night and day. More food than anyone could ever need, and of very high quality, cocktails (yes, cocktails in Y!), exceptional service, a very good seat and better legroom, great IFE etc. etc.

I booked SQ for their reputation to try it once, and went back another time; no there aren't 'clues', the reason for their reputation is screaming you in the face.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
It is a hypothetical question, one it seems you can't answer!
But you just quoted my answer. What part of right now the answer is zero, because I have a supplier who provides it for free is unclear to you?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
JAL and WY both offer a product which has direct aisle access, and would likely suit the BA density model, opposed to the QR Quite....
Yes, but sharing floor area as other seats is better use of available volume.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.