Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
I feel with BA, a 2-segmentation on board could only work in Gatwick but not Heathrow. A 3-segmentation is better for Heathrow fleet. I think BA should move all A319 and A320 to Gatwick and only retains A321.
Its kind of like what AA offers on SH with F, MCE,Y and Economy "Basic" products. I think it's time for the IAG board to poach someone from AA, replace Cruz and bring that kind of differentiated service model to BA.

LH would also benefit, if AA's recent transformation is also copied.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It might not be a deliberate ploy by the airlines but making economy more uncomfortable may turn people away but it may also push many of them up the food chain towards WT+ and CW
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Not quite what Sr Cruz said, is it?

This is again is old news, The Times article, from the snippets posted above, appears to be quoting Cruz from his speach on the #BAinvesing4U flight. Having sampled the new Club service, with a new seat on its way, major lounge refurbishments and brand new aircraft I think people will be pleasantly surprised at the Club and First offering.
AC is phasing in a new CW blanket by 2020. There's no sign of the new seats. The 20 year old CW seats have been installed in BA's brand new aircraft. With notable exceptions, there is now near universal recognition that BA has damaged its brand, and fallen significantly behind its competitors, with no improvement in sight.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Not sure how the public will perceive Mr Cruz's plan... BA will become both budget and quality at the same time and I believe this might just confuse everyone... no one will be able to categorise BA... especially if you fly economy one week and business the next. The experience will be confusing.

I am no businessman but I would prefer the brand to have brand values and stick to them across the board. If they want a budget airline the start a new airline and call it something else.

But then again... what do I know
But this is exactly what Waitrose did when they introduced their "Essentials" economy range. They have performed very well ever since.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA
But this is exactly what Waitrose did when they introduced their "Essentials" economy range. They have performed very well ever since.
Except that Waitrose took care to maintain the quality brand ethos. Yes, they do sell "Essentials" but the "Waitrose" brand is still a quality one... the bulk of what they sell is still of accepted Waitrose quality... including the quality of service. They don't do "Essentials" quality of service.

If BA were to use the Waitrose model then they would have to bring the bulk of their product offering up to standard and also offer exceptional standards of service even for the economy product... that might be a challenge for them IMO.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
AC is phasing in a new CW blanket by 2020. There's no sign of the new seats. The 20 year old CW seats have been installed in BA's brand new aircraft. With notable exceptions, there is now near universal recognition that BA has damaged its brand, and fallen significantly behind its competitors, with no improvement in sight.
You know that is utter nonsense, don't you?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Except that Waitrose took care to maintain the quality brand ethos. Yes, they do sell "Essentials" but the "Waitrose" brand is still a quality one... the bulk of what they sell is still of accepted Waitrose quality... including the quality of service. They don't do "Essentials" quality of service.

If BA were to use the Waitrose model then they would have to bring the bulk of their product offering up to standard and also offer exceptional standards of service even for the economy product... that might be a challenge for them IMO.
How nice it would be if, every time you stepped onto a BA aircraft, you could be sure of the same consistency of quality & service as you can in a Waitrose store.

Sadly, I fear we are a long, long way from that sort of scenario - or anything close.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You know that is utter nonsense, don't you?
No. Show us the new seats.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ianwall
Its kind of like what AA offers on SH with F, MCE,Y and Economy "Basic" products. I think it's time for the IAG board to poach someone from AA, replace Cruz and bring that kind of differentiated service model to BA.
The onboard service is the same for all Y passengers on AA regardless of the fare type.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrancisA
But this is exactly what Waitrose did when they introduced their "Essentials" economy range.
Waitrose Essentials is neither cheap nor low quality.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/floperry/se...nng#.xcAvNyvvp

My favourite by the way (not listed) is the Waitrose Essential Champagne Ultra Soft Bathroom Tissue.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
No. Show us the new seats.
Oh dear

I'm not going to be dragged in to a pointless discussion. There is plenty information on FT about the imminent upgrade of the Club World product, the new service, the new seat (which is due in 2018/19) and the lounge upgrades.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
The Waitrose example shows it is possible to introduce an economy range (not cheap or poor) quality, without undermining the service ethos or the premium preception of the brand.

If BA gets its service standards right, it could achieve the same.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:31 am

I'm someone with an eye on the 'posh side' of the airline and it's sub-par and well below most of its competitors on my list. I don't live in London and BA is one of several airlines I could use.

Even as someone who acknowledges that the market has become very segmented and that purely price-driven demand is a reality in a big part of that market, I would simply say that AC is having a laugh if he talks about 10 out of 10. That's a guy who got his job by smooth talking people doing the same to a journo.

You don't get to be 10 out of 10 if your desire to innovate and improve is limited solely to improving margins and innovating new ways of creating revenue. The problem with execs like this is that they want to be 10 out of 10 for stock market analysts/business section editors and that's where they think their responsibility for the brand ends.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Forgive me, but how often do you spend time down the back of these carriers?

I seem to remember your trip in Y last year received much fanfare because it was your first ever longhaul Y? Has this unfortunate experience become routine?
Luckily I'm in J today on Emirates, however I could have mentioned that live TV is available throughout the plane including Y (the golf is on).

Also very few EK planes that don't have Wi-Fi now (free to FFP members including Y).

Seriously I don't see there is any comparison to BA other than the plane takes off and lands. Nothing wrong with different positioning in the market but I don't see why people try to pretend BA is on a par.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Calchas
Waitrose Essentials is neither cheap nor low quality.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/floperry/se...nng#.xcAvNyvvp

My favourite by the way (not listed) is the Waitrose Essential Champagne Ultra Soft Bathroom Tissue.
I haven't seen this before . I always chuckle at the Essential Scottish smoked salmon, personallly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.