Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Banana4321
Beergate: A Summary

Two males were observed removing free beer (estimated to be c.20 cans of an unknown brewer) from the First Lounge (South) at London Heathrow's Terminal 5 on Friday 30th June 2017 between the hours of noon and approximately 17:00. The two men are white and probably have in excess of 1600 Tier Points.

200 outraged posts on an airline-related online forum then wasted at least 1000 man-hours of British industry at a cost of over £100 due to middle-ranking executives having not much better to do than comment on this feat of potential drinking whilst being flown.

Anybody with any news on this treasonable crime should not bother calling CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111. A reward of 6 cans of beer is available should the original beer cans be recovered.

Police are uninterested in talking to anyone in the vicinity at the time.

Any BREAKING NEWS on this front-page story will be added to this wiki immediately it happens
Print Wikipost

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
I was hoping for really convicting video but all I see is a guy grab a few cans of beer and then close the fairly stuffed fridge.

Did I miss something here? That fridge doesn't look like it had 20 cans taken from it...
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
If you take a couple of beers and you are travelling CE for example then you would be getting them anyway. Is that still an issue? Just speeding up your service.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
If you take a couple of beers and you are travelling CE for example then you would be getting them anyway. Is that still an issue? Just speeding up your service.
Curious question as drinking your own alcohol on board a CE flight really the first question is when? Next question is why?

If I was cabin crew I'd be watching you like a hawk immediately as its just strange and a pile of empty Heineken cans as we land a couple of hrs later and you wobble off the plane happily....well what to do?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:16 am

The more serious issue is that somebody tapes a video in the lounge of strangers, puts it online and defame them. No idea about UK laws but I suppose its a crime.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by payam81
I was hoping for really convicting video but all I see is a guy grab a few cans of beer and then close the fairly stuffed fridge.

Did I miss something here? That fridge doesn't look like it had 20 cans taken from it...
Yes, you are missing the bit where the OP later expands on the subject to say this was their 3rd run.

Last edited by tangey; Jul 3, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by payam81

Yep - I can see three, possibly four, beers being removed from the fridge and put in a bag. Frankly if this is all the evidence that is being presented then it ain't much.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by golfmad
No it's not. It's down to the fact that the culprits are disrespectful loutish creatures with no manners or thought for anyone else but themselves.
+1, I quite agree and I would add that whatever the cause or legality, the behaviour itself is unacceptable. As someone downthread asked, would you consider it acceptable to walk off from a wedding reception with pockets stuffed with booze?

Passengers in the lounge are guests and should behave as such.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by dbru
The more serious issue is that somebody tapes a video in the lounge of strangers, puts it online and defame them. No idea about UK laws but I suppose its a crime.
I agree 100%. Although I disagree with the guys grabbing a few beers (not 20) I am equally uneasy with the OP's actions.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
While I have definitely opened a Sprite and walked out the door with it half full, these guys are simply over-the-top. Hopefully BA can figure out who they are and ban them. This is why some hotels have someone serving the drinks in their lounge.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dbru
In my opinion their actions defamed themselves.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by smokie36
Curious question as drinking your own alcohol on board a CE flight really the first question is when? Next question is why?

If I was cabin crew I'd be watching you like a hawk immediately as its just strange and a pile of empty Heineken cans as we land a couple of hrs later and you wobble off the plane happily....well what to do?
I didn't say 20.

What is the theft when you were going to be served one in 30 minutes but you took one to have sooner.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by stevie
I agree 100%. Although I disagree with the guys grabbing a few beers (not 20) I am equally uneasy with the OP's actions.
There is about 6 seconds of video showing 3 or 4 cans of beer being taken from the fridge. I'm surprised how many people seem to be reaching a judgement on that.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Didn't the OP say that the video is longer than the 6 seconds that has been published for us all to see?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by DrGee
Didn't the OP say that the video is longer than the 6 seconds that has been published for us all to see?
Yes, it's a clip which does not show faces so these individuals can not be identified. Lounge is a public place and people can not have an expectation of privacy. Op did nothing wrong especially as he had reasonable grounds to suspect a crime (or breach of contract).
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
This is so frustrating, as I can't see/find this video anyway

The links in the early posts just don't work for me (Mac/iPad/Safari).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.