Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Banana4321
Beergate: A Summary

Two males were observed removing free beer (estimated to be c.20 cans of an unknown brewer) from the First Lounge (South) at London Heathrow's Terminal 5 on Friday 30th June 2017 between the hours of noon and approximately 17:00. The two men are white and probably have in excess of 1600 Tier Points.

200 outraged posts on an airline-related online forum then wasted at least 1000 man-hours of British industry at a cost of over £100 due to middle-ranking executives having not much better to do than comment on this feat of potential drinking whilst being flown.

Anybody with any news on this treasonable crime should not bother calling CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111. A reward of 6 cans of beer is available should the original beer cans be recovered.

Police are uninterested in talking to anyone in the vicinity at the time.

Any BREAKING NEWS on this front-page story will be added to this wiki immediately it happens
Print Wikipost

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I think we can all agree that if every single person who had lounge access did this, then BA would crack down on it quickly. The fact that a small number of people can get away with it does not make it right or okay.

I think the test should be, if we were the lounge owners how would it make us feel and act accordingly.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:00 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I wonder how long, if indeed ever, before BA introduce something similar to AA when it comes to alcoholic drinks; namely a voucher system.

Without going too OT, I've seen AA Plats complaining about BoB and the lack of complimentary drink/snack on BA in Y - whereas on AA, they are offered a drink and snack due to their loyalty status.

I usually remind those discussing the point, that AA have a limit policy in their Lounges, whereas BA do not, and so it sort of balances out.

However, I do wonder whether BA will move to the AA system - it would likely drive costs down, which is Plan A at present, and would obviously prevent another incident like the video shows.

M
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I wonder how long, if indeed ever, before BA introduce something similar to AA when it comes to alcoholic drinks; namely a voucher system.
Probably never, because everyone would switch to airlines that allow free drinks in the lounge, which is most (all?) other European carriers that have lounges.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Well it all depends on what the actual rule is. If you have to consume the goods while in the care of BA (in lounge or on plane) then taking one of two cans isn't theft. However if the rule is they can only be consumed in the lounge then one or two cans is theft.

Personally I haven't seen any signs saying you have to consume it in the lounge but maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Judging from the video, they used the chillers in an area some distance from the two BaxterStorey base stations, and with a large wine/water/glasses unit in front. So they would have been quite well hidden, they didn't use the chillers in the Refectory area, which are very open to view, and they looked quite slick in the execution of their heist. They knew what they were doing, but since they are almost certainly Gold cardholders they may well be quite familiar with how the lounge works.

I've seen this happen before, the BA (not BS) lounge manager will ask them if they have taken extra items, if they say yes then the manager will ask them to return excess items. They try not to escalate matters too much, preferring the embarrassment factor to work. However, I've no idea what happened here and I guess we're unlikely to find out unless the culprits choose to "out" themselves here. And that would be somewhat foolhardy!
Yeah, it sounds like they definitely planned it from the get-go. I wonder if they put themselves on Instagram or Facebook .
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
How utterly chav! Do these characters go for all-you-can-eat lunches at pizza shops and carry the whole salad bar out with them afterwards?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by hungry
Since BOB I take three beers and big of crisps. But I guess 20 cans and 5 bags is excessive
I take it if you weren't as hungry you'd take less than a big?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by hungry
I think it's theft that BA used to give me a beer in my airline ticket price, but stopped doing that without reducing the cost of the airline ticket price. I recoup their theft by taking a beer from their lounge to drink onboard instead.
I don't think there are that many people here who believe there's an issue (although there are probably a couple) with taking a single beer out of the lounge when BA won't be providing you with one onboard (if you were taking it not to drink onboard but just to take home with you, I'd be less convinced). Surely people can see the qualitative difference between taking a single beer and taking twenty, though? One surely fails the reasonableness test and one probably doesn't.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jday
Well it all depends on what the actual rule is. If you have to consume the goods while in the care of BA (in lounge or on plane) then taking one of two cans isn't theft. However if the rule is they can only be consumed in the lounge then one or two cans is theft.

Personally I haven't seen any signs saying you have to consume it in the lounge but maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
I have seen signs stating that items are for consumption in the lounge

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I don't think there are that many people here who believe there's an issue (although there are probably a couple) with taking a single beer out of the lounge when BA won't be providing you with one onboard (if you were taking it not to drink onboard but just to take home with you, I'd be less convinced). Surely people can see the qualitative difference between taking a single beer and taking twenty, though? One surely fails the reasonableness test and one probably doesn't.
BA does provide drinks onboard - just not for free. An argument that it is ok to steal small amounts because otherwise would have to pay for it later , hardly seems a great one to me.

Neither 1 nor 20 is reasonable - especially if the argument is that you are only stealing that which you would otherwise have to purchase onboard

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 3, 2017 at 2:50 am
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Neither 1 nor 20 is reasonable
In your opinion! Personally, I wouldn't take any drinks out of the lounge, but I'm not totally convinced that a jury would find someone taking a single can of beer out of a lounge to drink onboard / in the airport who had already paid for a ticket to be both i) acting dishonestly and ii) to know that others would think this was dishonest behaviour.

What if the beer can was already open/had been partially consumed?

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Jul 3, 2017 at 3:29 am
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
I don't think there are that many people here who believe there's an issue (although there are probably a couple)
Well I'm one of the few. This is not free, it's provided with the admission. You don't need a signpost to understand that in any situation where food and beverage is provided with the admission, you can't take stuff home with you. Who goes to a wedding or corporate and swipes a bottle the free champagne that they have been served to take home?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Well I'm one of the few. This is not free, it's provided with the admission. You don't need a signpost to understand that in any situation where food and beverage is provided with the admission, you can't take stuff home with you. Who goes to a wedding or corporate and swipes a bottle the free champagne that they have been served to take home?
OK, that's precisely what I said (that taking items to take them home with you was wrong).
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

OK, that's precisely what I said (that taking items to take them home with you was wrong).
It is no better to be taking it to drink onboard to avoid having to pay for a drink onboard. If it is an alcoholic drink, then on many airlines ( which BA may be one of but not sure ) it is not permitted to drink ones own alcoholic drinks anyway

If it was at a court, it would not be in front of a jury , but simply in front of a magistrate, so a jury's view wouldn't really matter.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:35 am

In your opinion! Personally, I wouldn't take any drinks out of the lounge, but I'm not totally convinced that a jury would find someone taking a single can of beer out of a lounge to drink onboard / in the airport who had already paid for a ticket to be both i) acting dishonestly and ii) to know that others would think this was dishonest behaviour.
If you're talking about a jury, what court would take this case anyway? Taking 20 cans of beer? Who cares!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
If you're talking about a jury, what court would take this case anyway? Taking 20 cans of beer? Who cares!
I'm not suggesting they would, I'm just using it as a thought experiment given this is supposed to be 'theft'.

I love this thread as a case study in the mechanics of the internet - any attempt at a vaguely centrist position just results in people from both sides of the argument fundamentally disagreeing with you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.