Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Banana4321
Beergate: A Summary

Two males were observed removing free beer (estimated to be c.20 cans of an unknown brewer) from the First Lounge (South) at London Heathrow's Terminal 5 on Friday 30th June 2017 between the hours of noon and approximately 17:00. The two men are white and probably have in excess of 1600 Tier Points.

200 outraged posts on an airline-related online forum then wasted at least 1000 man-hours of British industry at a cost of over £100 due to middle-ranking executives having not much better to do than comment on this feat of potential drinking whilst being flown.

Anybody with any news on this treasonable crime should not bother calling CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111. A reward of 6 cans of beer is available should the original beer cans be recovered.

Police are uninterested in talking to anyone in the vicinity at the time.

Any BREAKING NEWS on this front-page story will be added to this wiki immediately it happens
Print Wikipost

Someone nicking 20+ cans of beer from the F-lounge (got it on video)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I hope it was that good Cornish Ale they were nicking and not the fizzy pop lager.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Gosh! I hope you're getting a glow of righteousness spreading this around.

While I view the behaviour of the two as deeply tacky, I can't get as worked up about it as some have; and I am uneasy and uncomfortable about the role of the OP in filming the shebang and then running off to the lounge manager with it.

I'd have been mildly shocked to witness the audacity of the actions filmed, but I can't work up any moral outrage by that sort of tackiness. Nobody was hurt, no-one was in danger: I'd have got on with my own life.
Indeed. Sounds a bit spivvy, but in the wider scheme of things is a minor cost to BA. I guess the airline thinks that the cost of 'enforcement' is more than it's worth.

I'm sure in the fullness of time the cost cutters will get around to tackling lounges (again) with drinks on draft etc.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:26 pm

I suppose to some 20 cans of beer if fine. How about 40, or 60? Or maybe grab a service cart and load it up to take to the gate?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Dave_C
It's a direct consequence of the dreadful BoB.
No it's not. It's down to the fact that the culprits are disrespectful loutish creatures with no manners or thought for anyone else but themselves.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Pretty outrageous behaviour but I'm not surprised in the slightest. It's a direct consequence of the dreadful BoB.
Is it? I couldn't work out from the thread where they were flying to.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
It never occurred to me that BA's cost of goods sold was the issue here. Two people who have probably been drinking in the lounge bringing another 10 beers each for consumption afterwards brings up some liability thoughts.

1. Handing out beer to underage (under 16?) youth in the airport.

2. Drunk and disorderly behavior in the airport or delaying a flight. I'd make a bet that a lot of people here would be somewhat less understanding if a boorish passenger chugging beers all flight started a fight/screamed like a banshee/kicked chairs for X number of hours. We can't all drink 8 bottles of Dom and remain coherent.

BA probably doesn't care about 20 cans of beer. They may only barely care about their reputation as an airline, given the apparent decline in service over the past years. But I'd bet they care about the chance of 2 heavily intoxicated passengers throwing off Ops for their flight. Or getting some kids puke-drunk on a plane.

(And yes, I'm totally fine with snagging a can and a bag of chips. There are differences in degree of behavior and potential outcome.)
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Probably Iberia passengers scrounging for a better class of beer for their lounge.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
It never occurred to me that BA's cost of goods sold was the issue here. Two people who have probably been drinking in the lounge bringing another 10 beers each for consumption afterwards brings up some liability thoughts.

1. Handing out beer to underage (under 16?) youth in the airport.

2. Drunk and disorderly behavior in the airport or delaying a flight. I'd make a bet that a lot of people here would be somewhat less understanding if a boorish passenger chugging beers all flight started a fight/screamed like a banshee/kicked chairs for X number of hours. We can't all drink 8 bottles of Dom and remain coherent.

BA probably doesn't care about 20 cans of beer. They may only barely care about their reputation as an airline, given the apparent decline in service over the past years. But I'd bet they care about the chance of 2 heavily intoxicated passengers throwing off Ops for their flight. Or getting some kids puke-drunk on a plane.
All fair points, but in this case total guesswork.

I don't see much in the OP to suggest they had been drinking heavily, or were under age, or were likely to get drunk on a flight.

I could give you an alternative scenario - a couple of mid 30s cheapskates who arrived late and decided to pocket some beers to take away at their destination.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Why does everyone assume its a BOB issue? Doubt anyone is looking to consume 10+ beers on a short haul flight. Isn't it more likely that they were travelling with a group of people and only one had status?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm surprised no BA lounge staff saw them.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
All fair points, but in this case total guesswork.

I don't see much in the OP to suggest they had been drinking heavily, or were under age, or were likely to get drunk on a flight.

I could give you an alternative scenario - a couple of mid 30s cheapskates who arrived late and decided to pocket some beers to take away at their destination.
Very true. But I was pointing out exactly why BA would want to "discourage" such behavior and go after those two. It's not the cost of 20 cans of beer. It's the potential risk of having their future activities traced back to "negligent" lounge management allowing them to take enough beer to get drunk and do something damaging.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Gosh! I hope you're getting a glow of righteousness spreading this around...
That seems very unfair as the behaviour was outrageous and highly relevant to the forum. Perhaps you might consider what glow do you get out of attacking people with comments like that?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
It's not the cost of 20 cans of beer.
Much agreed. The cheap cost of beer seems to be the only justification for condoning this behaviour.

If these persons had attempted to slip a bottle of wine or champagne into their bags (and been caught), dare I say the police may have been called.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:17 am

I'm curious if the lounge manager did anything about it? Like call airport security and try and apprehend them in the building.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
And if you only spend 99£ on your ticket but getting lounge access thanks to being OWE, all you are allowed to drink would be a bottle of water?

Taking drinks and food from the lounge officially is VERBOTEN, but apparently 1-2 cans or a pack of crisps don't hurt anyone, especially in BOB-era. But people like them will make BA re-think the policy and make all food eventually offered in open containers/tap beer/coke/sprite only. Or make it a "served" area only.
I disagree - 1 or 2 cans and crisps is just as much theft as 20 cans, just more items. Whether 1 item or 20, it is still wrong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.