Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:35 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I think the point Jumbodriver was making is that BA has additional rules that actually ban power banks from checked luggage for all flights (not just the specific destinations being discussed here). I will admit that I wasn't aware of this BA rule.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gms
I think the point Jumbodriver was making is that BA has additional rules that actually ban power banks from checked luggage for all flights (not just the specific destinations being discussed here). I will admit that I wasn't aware of this BA rule.
And the point I was making is in terms of what actually happens at the specific destinations, it isn't practical to enforce this BA rule, nor is it happening.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
So my mophie in question is 114 x 72 x 24 mm in dimensions. 12,000 mAh is the “capacity” 44.8 Wh.

I take it with me on all flights in my hand carry luggage, except when I fly BA from Cairo. Then I leave it at home.

So, it’s still not clear to me. I’d like to take it with me. Can I put it in my checked luggage for CAI-LHR on BA?

Last edited by UAworldwide; Jan 27, 2018 at 4:31 am
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:06 am

Has anyone recently been successful in short checking a bag at CAI and getting it at LHR before continuing onwards? I saw someone say lately that they were denied a short check.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And the point I was making is in terms of what actually happens at the specific destinations, it isn't practical to enforce this BA rule, nor is it happening.
I agree, but surely the most pressing point is that, in the name of countering a nebulous and poorly defined “security” threat which even the overzealous, paranoid and literalist US government is no longer taking seriously, passengers, crew and aircraft on these routes are actually being exposed to a much more clearly defined and palpable material threat, i.e., a battery fire in the hold. This whole situation is madness.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Has anyone recently been successful in short checking a bag at CAI and getting it at LHR before continuing onwards? I saw someone say lately that they were denied a short check.
Just home from a CAI-HNL run. Starting from CAI, I requested a short check to LHR only, for the reason of needing my laptop. Posed no problems.
Frequent flyer 101 and arpy like this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by gms
My experience is that BA staff at IST tell you to put your power bank into your checked luggage. Along with any number of devices with Lithium Ion batteries. I realise the dangers but that does not seem to have been such a priority for BA that they have told any of their outstation staff about it.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by onobond
Just home from a CAI-HNL run. Starting from CAI, I requested a short check to LHR only, for the reason of needing my laptop. Posed no problems.
Thanks for the update. How long did it take to clear immigration, collect your bag and reach departures security in LHR?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by Worcester
My experience is that BA staff at IST tell you to put your power bank into your checked luggage. Along with any number of devices with Lithium Ion batteries. I realise the dangers but that does not seem to have been such a priority for BA that they have told any of their outstation staff about it.
do they have real BA staff at IST? Or just Menzies or whatever people with a BA badge on?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hungry
do they have real BA staff at IST? Or just Menzies or whatever people with a BA badge on?
In every airport affected by this ban, the ground agents are contracted from local companies, Havaş in the case of IST, but there is one BA employed Airport Manager who may well be visible during check-in and/or at the departure gate. But yes, that's part of the issue, BA can't easily enforce detailed guidance, particularly on something that many would regard as obscure, when the staff work for well over 100 different airlines in IST. [Though to be fair, Havaş staff on the BA contract probably only look after a dozen or so airlines on the whole]. So all BA can do is to apply focus to a limited range of issues, such as "no laptops in the cabin".
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Well recently returned from this trip. I must admit I was shocked by the experience at the airport despite being told mostly what to expect on here. The most shocking part was being called from the lounge to go to the gate well well in advance (over an hour before flight time). I thought it was a mistake so I went to the lounge desk and said "I don't have to go now do I?" ... yes you do! I was told, due to extra security.

Of course this inevitably meant sitting in the pen by the gate for maybe 20 minutes before boarding? Why not let us stay in the lounge until that time??

I was told when checking in at the priority desk that we cant use priority security, so had to use regular but it wasn't really an issue on this particular day as it was pretty quiet.

I found it confusing when I arrived from the Metro to the airport , went over the road of Taxis (where one or two tried asking me if I need a taxi!!!! One thing Im totally fed up with from Istanbul is being constantly harassed to take taxis, visit bars, buy carpets, buy crap etc... literally from the minute we arrived to the moment we left!!!!) and instinctively walked in the nearest door to the terminal and was told we were at the wrong door! Took a while just to find the correct door for us to use to enter the terminal.... Very strange.

Anyway of course the BA check in wasn't open so we thought lets go for a pint! Nowhere to get a pint ended up in an upstairs italian cafe type place which charged almost £5 for a can of semi-cold lager poured into a plastic glass!

Overall, everything combined with the no iPad stuff, I won't be in a hurry to visit Istanbul again... which is a shame because its a beautiful city.

Anyway 160 TPs in the bag for literally not much £££s, so not all bad.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I'm assuming that the laptop ban ex Cairo on BA is still in place.

That being the case, it appears I've been rather stupid in booking a BA reward for CAI-LHR, as I only travel with a carry-on, and there's no way I'll be checking it in.

I'm going to cancel the BA booking and rebook on A3 (via ATH), which I assume couldn't care less about small laptops in hand baggage. And it'll save me the cost of a hotel at CAI.

Pity I wasn't aware of this when I made the booking!

EDIT: Now cancelled BA and booked A3 CAI-ATH-LHR. I actually came out slightly in front cash-wise, even after the GBP35 cancellation fee. I must have been crazy to book BA in the first place, but no damage done.

Last edited by Grace B; Feb 16, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:09 pm

I'm flying BA to Istanbul tomorrow from LHR. I'm cabin luggage only (no hold luggage booked). I was planning to take my laptop. What will happen to my laptop on the return leg from Istanbul to LHR, given that I have no hold luggage? Will they take my laptop at the gate and put it in the hold? If so, in what protective packing? Or is it better for me to fork out £40 and put my cabin luggage in the hold on the way back?

BA don't seem to have any answers to this.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by lightmirror
I'm flying BA to Istanbul tomorrow from LHR. I'm cabin luggage only (no hold luggage booked). I was planning to take my laptop. What will happen to my laptop on the return leg from Istanbul to LHR, given that I have no hold luggage? Will they take my laptop at the gate and put it in the hold? If so, in what protective packing? Or is it better for me to fork out £40 and put my cabin luggage in the hold on the way back?

Thanks.
The answer is already covered in the thread. But to recap. You will be asked to check electronics at check in. If you keep your electronics they will be found on the secondary screening. At that point you will be given the option of putting in the hold (the ones I have witnessed were without charge) but in what ever baggage you have to hand. None is provided by BA.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:47 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lightmirror

Thanks.
There's full information on BA.com. Basically, it's your problem how your laptop will be carried in the hold. So effectively you will need to check your bag in and ensure it is packed safely. However, if your bag complies with hand-luggage rules then I doubt you will need to pay to check it in. I would suggest just going to the gate early and when they see you have a laptop they will make you check your bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.