Search

BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
Worcester, "My computer closed"??? Try "Benim bilgisayar bozuk"

A few things (...)
Some thoughts in reply:
1) I never suggested any 'light-fingeredness', in fact was quite clear I would be ecstatic if I even got to a position I could check it in.
2) Sadly I have a 100% record (admittedly on a smaller base) of being asked to turn it on. Including more recently than October - perhaps they've changed the way they apply rules since then?
3) Taking it to a socket won't help, it's completely dead. No lights, no noise, nothing.

I think I'll do as CWS suggests and try getting it fixed in the city. I guess I was reluctant a) because I'd rather not waste what time I have in a beautiful city running round after technology, and b) because if it takes longer to fix than I have then I'm back to square one, in which case the question is still valid anyway.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
Sorry meant Gate check.

It was the security team and whom I assume is the station manager at IST.
Again, my sincere thank you :-:
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by hfly
Worcester, "My computer closed"??? Try "Benim bilgisayar bozuk"

A few things:

1) Having flown in and out of IST frequently for three decades, I have never known ISt to be a notorious place for light fingered baggae handlers. While I am not saying that nothing has ever been stolen at IST, it does not have such a widespread reputation, nor has it ever had one.

2) While 6 months ago they were for 2-3 months regularly asking people to turn on their computers at the terminal entrance check, this is a rarity these days, and I say this as someone who has flown out 8 times in October thusfar.

3) In relation to the above, if your computer is dead, there is always a socket somewhere they will take you to to get enough juice to turn it on. As stated above, any such check is an airport thing and is totally different than any checks that BA conducts.

Oh yes it was dreadful Turkish but it did have the advantage of being relativity easy to remember and when spoken by a non Turkish speaker probably comrephensible.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Interesting... on 30 October they were insisting on all electronic items being powered up before being allowed into the terminal - much to the annoyance of BA passengers like me who had carefully put all laptops tablets and kindles into their checked luggage.
It was before then, I was a little vague with my couple of weeks, middle of October would be more accurate.

Not only was I not asked but I didn't see anyone else being asked though I wasn't watching what happened with anyone taken aside for extra checks, just the people in front and behind in the queue.

I was flying TK so it was in my backpack. At the gate TK selected some passengers for extra very comprehensive searches but not me so no one checked my laptop at any point.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Having passed through today I can confirm what others have reported. Entrance to airport asking to power on laptops.

Normal airport security after check-in as you'd expect. Secondary security at the BA gate manually inspecting every passenger and every bag. Laptops, Kindles, iPads need to be gate checked with your own bag. The bag travels on the bus (assuming remote stand) and can be observed being loaded. The bag can be short checked to London or checked through to any other destination on your itinerary. If checked to London it will need reclaiming from the baggage hall. Power banks are subject to size restrictions. Anything larger than the restricted size can't be taken in hold or cabin baggage. This was quite small. None of my power banks would have fitted through this gauge. Only those of a slim design being not too much thicker than a phone would have fitted. Overall the process was somewhat chaotic and not all passengers had been made aware of the restrictions at check-in with some requesting baggage already loaded be pulled from the aircraft so the could add electronic items to their hold luggage.

By contrast I recently flew the same route with TK. All electronics permitted in hand baggage and secondary gate checks were of a random nature. Departure hall security checks identical for both TK and BA.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, today they were doing the laptop thing. First time I'd seen it in more than a month.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Restrictions now lifted on MEA flights from BEY. Will BA follow suit?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Quick question, I looked through and couldn't see an answer. If you buy a HBO fare and arrive at IST for the return leg with a non compliant piece of equipment, does anyone know how BA is handling this? Are they letting you check your bag or making you upgrade your ticket. Just occurred to me as checking prices I can see they are selling HBO fares.

I know you could argue that passenger should have been aware of the rules before they bought but in the real world that doesn't always happen
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by criso
Quick question, I looked through and couldn't see an answer. If you buy a HBO fare and arrive at IST for the return leg with a non compliant piece of equipment, does anyone know how BA is handling this? Are they letting you check your bag or making you upgrade your ticket. Just occurred to me as checking prices I can see they are selling HBO fares.

I know you could argue that passenger should have been aware of the rules before they bought but in the real world that doesn't always happen
I would imagine the same as anyone else who buys a HBO fare for Istanbul but decides to check a bag. First bag: £40/$60/€55 in advance, £65/$100/€75 at the airport.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They just check your bag.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:49 am

We arrived for the afternoon IST-LHR and security to enter the terminal just ignored the laptop in the checked bag.The flight was cancelled and we were sent to a hotel.

Next day for the morning flight security wanted the laptop out of the checked bag and turned on.So it seems to be a chaotic picture of nobody knowing what to do.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:39 am

Hi all,

I am flying RUH - LHR tonight and I know that I can't carry my laptop on board, but I have a slightly more complicated question. I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Note 8, which is technically 1-2mm taller than the allowed limits according to phone specs.

I assume this won't be an issue, but I also don't want to have my phone confiscated at the gate, so if anyone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ban lifted for MEA Flights from Beirut

Interestingly, Lebanon's national carrier now allows laptops and larger electronics into the cabin:

DFT lifts the electronic ban on MEA flights bound to the UK
17 Nov 2017

Effective 17 November 2017, Middle East Airlines passengers are allowed to carry laptops, tablets and accessories into the cabin to the UK bound flights, provided specific random additional security measures are implemented at the London flight segregated gate.
MEA extends its deep appreciation to its passengers for their understanding at the time of the electronic ban and thanks them in anticipation for their continuous cooperation.
MEA would like to seize this opportunity to thank H.E. British Ambassador in Lebanon Mr. Hugo Shorter for the efforts exerted to lift the ban, as well as the British team and Lebanese Airport Authorities for the cooperation during this period.
https://www.mea.com.lb/english/about...es/uk-ban-lift

Yet BA still maintains its ban, and the Government website still states that the ban is in place.

I flew from Beirut to London on the 16th of November with BA, and each and every carry-on bag was searched at the gate. Surely it would be less onerous for BA to follow suit and do random checks?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jah718
Hi all,

I am flying RUH - LHR tonight and I know that I can't carry my laptop on board, but I have a slightly more complicated question. I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Note 8, which is technically 1-2mm taller than the allowed limits according to phone specs.

I assume this won't be an issue, but I also don't want to have my phone confiscated at the gate, so if anyone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
jah718 - out of curiosity, did they accept the Galaxy Note 8?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by mouch
jah718 - out of curiosity, did they accept the Galaxy Note 8?
I didn't encounter any issues although the phone never came out of my pocket at the supplementary gate check. I don't think there should be any issues as I don't think anyone would notice that it is too big as it is only marginally bigger than other phones.
mouch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.