Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
What's the latest on how this works at IST? I'm flying on RJ from AMM to IST and then connecting onto BA's LHR service. Aside from my regular briefcase, I don't have a separate bag for my laptop. Would I just gate check it at IST? What do they do if you don't have a separate bag for it?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by GaryK84
What's the latest on how this works at IST? I'm flying on RJ from AMM to IST and then connecting onto BA's LHR service. Aside from my regular briefcase, I don't have a separate bag for my laptop. Would I just gate check it at IST? What do they do if you don't have a separate bag for it?
As of last week still the same I am afraid.

Yes you can gate check a carry on, but they don't encourage this, so I would double check at the desk to be on the safe side.

If if you don't have a separate bag I would suppose they will offer the choice of leaving it. They don't have a bag for you to put it in like TK did.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Worcester
Yes you can gate check a carry on, but they don't encourage this, so I would double check at the desk to be on the safe side.
That's good to know - thanks. I think I'll put my laptop in my checked luggage at AMM and cross my fingers that the bag is transferred correctly at IST and turns up at LHR!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by mouch
Interestingly, Lebanon's national carrier now allows laptops and larger electronics into the cabin:

https://www.mea.com.lb/english/about...es/uk-ban-lift

Yet BA still maintains its ban, and the Government website still states that the ban is in place.

I flew from Beirut to London on the 16th of November with BA, and each and every carry-on bag was searched at the gate. Surely it would be less onerous for BA to follow suit and do random checks?
It's like RJ at AMM. MEA are coughing up the additional cash for additional screening. Hence the exemption.

Good luck with BA under Cruz paying for anything.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by jah718
I didn't encounter any issues although the phone never came out of my pocket at the supplementary gate check. I don't think there should be any issues as I don't think anyone would notice that it is too big as it is only marginally bigger than other phones.

To be fair, security screen at RUH T1 is pretty lax. Tends to be a comedy of errors if you're going out when PIA/PAL or Lanka have departures scheduled...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Angry No BA response so far for CAI flights

Since I haven't heard anything about the lifting of the ban on BA flights out of CAI following the ban being lifted on Egypt Air, I wrote to the department of transport and in their response it said
"The Government continues to work closely with all carriers to achieve a full lift at each affected airport as soon as possible. In order to lift the ban, airlines are first required to implement enhanced security measures. However, airlines may still choose to retain the ban for operational reasons which is a matter for individual airlines provided they meet security requirements".
So BA can't keep saying that it is the DOT's fault. Another "enhancement" by Cruz!!!!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I’m going İstanbul in a week, surely this is rescinded by now ??
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by hungry
I’m going İstanbul in a week, surely this is rescinded by now ??
Hi,

No its's not IIRC ( but you will be ok going to IST but not from IST)

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Definitely still in place and enforced in all locations mentioned upthread.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
One way around this is to not fly direct back from IST.

LHR-IST-xxx-LHR will do the trick. I’ve seen One way fares with LOT from £80. I’d imagine there are OneWorld options available too, although for those that also have Star Gold status, the TK lounge is light years ahead of the overcrowded room that BA use as a lounge.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:49 pm

I’m just gonna have to not take my iPad it seems on the trip.
It’s just ridiculous to be in this situation
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:03 pm

especially since BA is basically the only major airline not to meet the new standards; all the local airlines (ME, RJ etc) have all long since enabled their customers to get on with their usual travel lives.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Just to be clear you will need to check your iPad in as well. Nothing larger than a phone would be allowed in the cabin
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by prof

especially since BA is basically the only major airline not to meet the new standards; all the local airlines (ME, RJ etc) have all long since enabled their customers to get on with their usual travel lives.
what does the airline have to do to meet the new standards ?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:24 pm

what does the airline have to do to meet the new standards ?
I think it’s a matter of investing in new or more (or both) screening equipment. Why this should be the airline’s problem and not the government’s or the airport’s, I don’t know. But in any case the other airlines have done what it takes and BA hasn’t, and, by the looks of it, it won’t. As a result, BA passengers from those airports are compelled to check in bags if they want to take anything more than a phone with them, which is absurd. (Personally, I doubt security as such is at stake, and I’d certainly not feel more secure with lots of extra lithium-ion batteries arbitrarily forced into the hold: it’s just one more of these things that governments do to make us feel—or to look as though they make us feel—more “secure”).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.