Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
Am I correct in my understanding that despite the UK Government's website stating that no laptops and larger electrical items are allowed to be carried on ex IST, BA are the only airline effected because they refuse to pay for additional screening?
Yes and no, Yes BA is the only airline affected, but they do pay for quite a lot of screening not just to stop you carrying electronics but they also have mass spectrometers or some such devices, and whereas BA check all passangers TK only have to check 40%.

It's odd.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:58 am

Can someone confirm if the ban is lifted starting September 3rd for Istanbul airport? BA has a new update on their website saying Turkey was removed from electronics ban but UK government website still lists Turkey. So it is really confusing.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Bertan Aygun
Can someone confirm if the ban is lifted starting September 3rd for Istanbul airport? BA has a new update on their website saying Turkey was removed from electronics ban but UK government website still lists Turkey. So it is really confusing.
I am not able to give first hand experience, but I think you can rely on the recent update, it was explicitly made and circulated on Trade channels. The places still with the restrictions are now just
Jordan (Amman)
Lebanon (Beirut)
Saudi Arabia (Jeddah, Riyadh)
(and I think BEY will go shortly)

UK.gov will take a few days to update.

Welcome to Flyertalk Bertan Aygun, welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here and I hope will see more of you in the future.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:31 pm

I will check tomorrow and get back to you. Would make me very happy if that is true but I did get the regular warning email from BA.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:01 pm

I am delighted to confirm there is now no electronics ban at IST.

Also no information about the move to the New Istanbul Airport or if BA will have arranged a lounge.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester
I am delighted to confirm there is now no electronics ban at IST.

Also no information about the move to the New Istanbul Airport or if BA will have arranged a lounge.
I find it really strange that UK government website still says otherwise, I would have expected them to update firs. This will just create confusion.

Btw there is a new FAQ on BA website for the new airport, can't post a link though unfortunately due to forum rules :/ It was surprising to see they are cancelling 2-3 days of flights during the transition time and I am glad we are avoiding that mess on our return trip. Hopefully by our next trip all the problems will be ironed out.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Bertan Aygun
I find it really strange that UK government website still says otherwise, I would have expected them to update firs. This will just create confusion.

Btw there is a new FAQ on BA website for the new airport, can't post a link though unfortunately due to forum rules :/ It was surprising to see they are cancelling 2-3 days of flights during the transition time and I am glad we are avoiding that mess on our return trip. Hopefully by our next trip all the problems will be ironed out.
Knowing the British Government as we do there is no surprise.

BA are not cancelling its due to the Turkish authorities who are shifting TK and other Turkish airlines first and other airlines to follow. There is a gap where foreign airlines can’t use either airport.

It it was suggested by BA staff that for at least a while there will not be a lounge for BA to use.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Jordan (Amman)
Lebanon (Beirut)
Saudi Arabia (Jeddah, Riyadh)
(and I think BEY will go shortly)
Do you know if Egypt (Cairo) still has the ban? I didn't fly with BA in some time, but earlier in the year it was still there (May time frame)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAworldwide
Do you know if Egypt (Cairo) still has the ban? I didn't fly with BA in some time, but earlier in the year it was still there (May time frame)
It’s been lifted since mid August https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30086083-post175.html
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Ban lifted from BEY as of this morning. Only KSA remains.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:57 am

I hadn’t seen this update, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the ban had indeed been lifted when I flew BEY-LHR yesterday.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Restrictions now ended

All restrictions on laptops and tablets in the cabin have now been ended as of Thursday 10 January 2019. There are now no special restrictions in place for Saudi Arabia or anywhere else.

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?source=MNVINF4more_travel_news&link=main_nav
British Airways additional UK Government security requirements on flights to the UK from certain countries have now all been lifted.

The restrictions were on electronic items in hand baggage on British Airways flights to the UK from these countries:
  • from Egypt (removed on 1 August 2018)
  • from Turkey (removed on 3 September 2018)
  • from Jordan (removed on 11 October 2018)
  • from Lebanon (removed on 29 October 2018)
  • from Saudi Arabia (removed on 9 January 2019)
Our normal hand baggage rules apply to these flights though customers may still experience a range of extra security checks at the boarding gate, and we would ask all customers to read our ba.com guidance on travelling with electronic items (and liquids/gels/creams) .
arpy likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
I just called BA here in Sydney and the rude guy I spoke with said no bans remained ..then he placed me on hold just to make sure he came back saying yes there was still a BA imposed ban out of BEY..... I'm looking to do a and BEY-LHR rtn(maybe onto Berlin) while visiting Lebanon in August. I don't want to be forced to use the only other direct MEA flights who are great but Skyteam, leaving only RJ which means via AMM (at least RJ use the MEA lounge and not the poverty pack LAT lounge BA chooses to subject pax to).

This ban hasn't been reimposed on flights out of BEY or was the BA dragon simply incorrect?

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Apr 17, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
I just called BA here in Sydney and the rude guy I spoke with said no bans remained ..then he placed me on hold just to make sure he came back saying yes there was still a BA imposed ban out of BEY..... I'm looking to do a and BEY-LHR rtn(maybe onto Berlin) while visiting Lebanon in August. I don't want to be forced to use the only other direct MEA flights who are great but Skyteam, leaving only RJ which means via AMM (at least RJ use the MEA lounge and not the poverty pack LAT lounge BA chooses to subject pax to).

This ban hasn't been reimposed on flights out of BEY or was the BA dragon simply incorrect?
The BA dragon was incorrect, laptop bans for all destinations are now lifted for BA flights. However, you would have the same extra security checks at the gate which were introduced at the same time with the laptop ban.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The BA dragon was incorrect, laptop bans for all destinations are now lifted for BA flights. However, you would have the same extra security checks at the gate which were introduced at the same time with the laptop ban.
Thanks mate. I've now booked BEY-LHR-TGL with BA knowing I can take may lappy. Also, scored 1A on the BEY-LHR sector. Gotta love those A321 ex BMed J throne seats. LHR-TGL, sadly, is only is Y on steroids "Club Europe".
I should call BA back just to shake some of the rude smugness out of the consultant and correct his advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.