Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK T7 Investment plans

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JeffAA
From reading the thread (and previous personal experience), it seems that prior to the renovation of the First check-in, the TSA security checkpoint was to the left and up the dreaded slope. Post renovation, it is indicated above that First passengers were being directed to the right, and down the hallway pictured many posts above in this thread to get to a different TSA checkpoint. It seems like based on the recent experiences posted immediately above that the old sloped TSA security checkpoint is being used again.

Can anyone with recent experience comment on the above? I have a flight out of JFK in a few weeks and am trying to get clarification.

Many thanks.
I've personally always used the same TSA checkpoint. it slightly moved (by about 1 metre or so) since the introduction of the dual fast track lane, ie instead of being against the wall by the arch that marks the bottom of the slope, it is now at the junction between the two parallel fast track queues, ie about 1 metre away from the arch, slightly to its right.

The reference to going to the right of the F check in is lost on me. Assuming you mean right and left seen from the entrance, to the right are the conveyor belts for the baggage and a wall that separates the premium check in area from the main part of the terminal so one could not go to the right. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat
The new priority security is accessed through the end of the new First check-in. Go to the end and turn right into that lovely hallway I pictured above. Past the toilets/washrooms which are on the left and you end up to the left hand side of the original security line.
I was referencing golfmad's post above. So if you enter the terminal and walk towards the rear of check-in, the sloped TSA checkpoint is on the left. golfmad suggest that you go to the right and it goes towards a different, flat (non-sloped) TSA checkpoint.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I think most people would much prefer the security / redressing area being on the flat and then steps and a ramp (for those less able to manage steps) up to the terminal level.

it does seem to discombobulate some people and slow the process down.

Mind the last time I was there the queue was so long I just went to normal security.
My biggest issue is I can't set my hand bag down without it rolling away since I'm firmly in the 4 wheeled camp.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The reference to going to the right of the F check in is lost on me. Assuming you mean right and left seen from the entrance, to the right are the conveyor belts for the baggage and a wall that separates the premium check in area from the main part of the terminal so one could not go to the right. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
Originally Posted by JeffAA
I was referencing golfmad's post above. So if you enter the terminal and walk towards the rear of check-in, the sloped TSA checkpoint is on the left. golfmad suggest that you go to the right and it goes towards a different, flat (non-sloped) TSA checkpoint.
See here.

I was on the early 'day' flight so the slopey TSA checkpoint was closed.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by golfmad
See here.

I was on the early 'day' flight so the slopey TSA checkpoint was closed.
Thanks for clarifying! I am always grateful for all of the information shared on this forum. I'll pack my ski boots and assume the slope will be open for my evening departure.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
As of yesterday the Security 'Slope' was open. Business as usual!

Do we know if this is going to be altered yet? i.e a flat security area or move the fast track completely?

The lovely dining lounge 'gate' lady, Louanne, said the dining facility will be refitted and extended next year but didn't say when. Interesting that it will be made larger... I wonder if this creeps into the F lounge? Although my knowledge of the entire layout is limited, but I look forward to entire new business lounge and dining facility before Christmas 2018.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:34 am

Whilst the retrofit to the First checkin area at first glance looks like the First Wing in T5, the reality is that it is more lipstick on a pig. We flew back earlier this week and the queueing arrangement for the Premium TSA slope was disorderly. When we arrived there was a long queue with around 20 -30 people queuing in the Fast Track. So even though we had checked in prior for our F flight and had our boarding passes from AA we rechecked in at the desk after which the desk agent took us to the front of the queue ( apparently there are two queues but it is not in any way apparent) and you then have the distinctly non premium security experience on the slope. The CCR was reasonably quiet, some of the food was good but both of us got the impression that the CCR food/drink budget had been cut further.
Boarding from the Gate area was chaotic (as usual) and was another non premium experience.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
As of yesterday the Security 'Slope' was open. Business as usual!

Do we know if this is going to be altered yet? i.e a flat security area or move the fast track completely?
Quite frankly, I hope not and I'm still unsure what people hate so much about it. That it's a slope? I'm guessing that 99% of FTers at least can deal with holding rollerboards on an upwards slope, and this probably remains the most effective US security point for non TSE-pre commoners like me in the US. If/when they redo T7 security, you can be sure that they will impose the idiotic body scanners which slow things down considerably without improving safety, will organise something far messier with a million people sharing equal priority as in all other terminals as opposed to one where F and GCH+ can effectively go through security in 5-10 minutes max and have direct access to the CCR the other side of security. I vote to keep the current system!!!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Quite frankly, I hope not and I'm still unsure what people hate so much about it. That it's a slope?
I have never understood the problem with the slope. Having said that, there are a number of things I read about on here that don't bother me
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
I have never understood the problem with the slope. Having said that, there are a number of things I read about on here that don't bother me
Well, in a nutshell, in equivalent circumstances, I clear the JFK T7 slope security in about 5 minutes, 10 if I am very unlucky, and I clear the JFK T8 in about30 minutes, 20 if I am very lucky. That basically summarises what bothers me about the likely outcome of a change. A small part of the difference is due to sheer differences in traffic, but only a small part. By and large, by US airport terminals standards, I consider T7 priority security for GCH+ and F pax to be a total breeze.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Quite frankly, I hope not and I'm still unsure what people hate so much about it. That it's a slope? I'm guessing that 99% of FTers at least can deal with holding rollerboards on an upwards slope,
I think hate is a strong word! I don't hate it as such, more a small first world problem annoyance! However, I agree its fairly quick s-point to get through but if anyone were to design a high traffic area within a building, a sensible design would not incorporate a slope, in particular an area that involves the traffic emptying themselves of their personal possessions, including shoes and 4-wheel roller bags, as I have seen older generations struggle, balance is a key factor to take in here. So its more question of whether it needs to be a slope for such an area? If you are making decisions on remodelling and how to improve facilities, have budgets, plans and builders in preparation, then why not ask the question could it be a flat area? if it can be, so how do we do go about that solution?

I think if it was a general passage way through to another part of building, then yes the slope wouldn't ever come into question but its not, its all the 'faffing' that has to be done on a slope! P.S I was thinking of all the people who are not 99% of FTers. Such as my parents, who also wonder why it has to be on a slope!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I definitely find it annoying since I like to be considerate and take my bag off the belt if it's crowded so it doesn't get backed up.

In the meantime I need both hands to get my shoes on while still trying to keep my luggage from rolling away. I also get a little dizzy trying to balance on a slope like that.

I mean, if I truly hated it, I wouldn't use it, but it definitely doesn't feel premium. I would much prefer a few steps and then flat.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
The security line last night at JFK T7 was horrible. First of all I was ‘profiled’ by Ms Red Jacket who said economy passengers should go round the corner.
The two queues merging into one wasn’t really working - it just caused a bottleneck effect.
After an extended queue experience we had the normal security screening - we weren’t required to take out electronics except laptops.
My mother can’t use the metal detector as she has a cochlear implant which resulted in an additional few minutes wait.
There are hoardings up on some of the shops and unfortunately there was a flight boarding blocking the walkway- a really unsatisfactory situation.
The plus points were I didn’t win a secondary and we departed on time.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:16 pm

Well, in a nutshell, in equivalent circumstances, I clear the JFK T7 slope security in about 5 minutes, 10 if I am very unlucky, and I clear the JFK T8 in about30 minutes, 20 if I am very lucky.
I guess this illustrates the different perspectives that passengers have. We are both Global Entry and have TSA Pre Check for all domestic and international flights that support pre check. On this basis, we typically get through the TSA Pre Check lines at all the US airports we frequent in 5 minutes or less. We have yet to achieve 5 minutes at the TSA Premium Slope in JFK T7. Our worst experience to date was last summer when it took over 40 mins when the building work was underway. Premium experience it is not.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by scillyisles
I guess this illustrates the different perspectives that passengers have. We are both Global Entry and have TSA Pre Check for all domestic and international flights that support pre check. On this basis, we typically get through the TSA Pre Check lines at all the US airports we frequent in 5 minutes or less. We have yet to achieve 5 minutes at the TSA Premium Slope in JFK T7. Our worst experience to date was last summer when it took over 40 mins when the building work was underway. Premium experience it is not.
However you are in the British Airways forum which doesn't currently support TSA Pre check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.