Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:41 pm

I always took that to mean that you had to book for the cardholder and another, not that the cardholder had to actually take the flight...

...but that's just my opinion. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with actual facts.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Some advice please FT'ers.

In Jan I redeemed 2 x 241 vouchers and 360,000 Avios for the family summer holiday to Vietnam, via Hong Kong. Redemption flights are 3 x adults, 1 x 'youth' (15) LHR-HKG in early July and return 14 days later. All the pax are on the BAEC family account but, because the vouchers were earned on 2 x separate accounts (my wife's and mine), I made 2 x separate bookings of 2 pax each. Both my wife and I are now down to BAEC Blue after my work-related travel died off last year so we are therefore unable to reserve seats for the redemption flight more than 24 hrs in advance. This makes me nervous as I (maybe falsely?) believe that reserved seats and a higher BAEC status would make us less likely of being bumped off the flight or downgraded from CW.
I had planned to get both my wife and me up to Bronze or Silver prior to the July departure so that we could select seats for free (7 days only for Bronze) but that hasn't happened due to a variety of reasons in the first few months of this year. I have now identified a period where I may be able to get myself onto a TP run up to Silver over the next few months but my wife, while enjoying the fruits of a higher status, doesn't quite get the idea of spending less than 24 hrs in Phoenix, having routed via Bucharest to get there. So I'll be going alone, if at all.

So my question is: if I managed to get myself up to either Bronze or Silver by the summer would I be able to reserve the seats for the redemption flight for all 4 of us or would I need to get both my wife to Bronze or Silver as well? I can reserve the seats for £340 now as a Blue member but, as I am likely to complete a bit of long-haul for work over 4Q19-2Q20, I'd rather put that money towards a TP run and improve my lot when travelling for work as well. My TP year ends 08 Nov 19.

I appreciate any advice offered.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
This will not be happy news for you --- If you were gold you could TCP the two PNRs together and then get to select seats for everyone (assuming you were in the same cabin). I don't think you can do this as silver and bronze so that needs one passenger on each PNR to have status to book the seats ahead of online checkin
nemonon likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Delete please - already answered.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
This will not be happy news for you --- If you were gold you could TCP the two PNRs together and then get to select seats for everyone (assuming you were in the same cabin). I don't think you can do this as silver and bronze so that needs one passenger on each PNR to have status to book the seats ahead of online checkin
Thanks for the response. So, talk the missus into a mini-TP run with me to get Bronze to get a 7 day advance seat reservation for all 4 or simply take my chances without seat reservations nor status? Not really worth getting Gold half-way through my TP earning year methinks?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by nemonon
Not really worth getting Gold half-way through my TP earning year methinks?
Don't forget that you get it for the entire of your next TP earning year too. So you'd get just over a year and a half of it, not just six months.
nemonon likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In the wiki it states

Q: As redemption seats are released at midnight GMT, what is the best way to secure them? There is no guarantee they will be available when the BA office opens in the morning!
A: A common practice on the forum is to use this tool and call a BA office that is open at midnight GMT. You will then be able to make the booking without waiting for your local office to open. Depending on timezone, Japan, Hong Kong and even the USA are frequently contacted for this purpose.

However the "use this tool" link no longer works, can someone please post the phone numbers or message me them, as I'll need to phone up in a few days to add a TYO return flight to my 2-4-1. Or, do I just call the Silver line and I'll be put through to a call centre in an active timezone?

Thanks, Stephen

Last edited by stephenjc; Apr 18, 2019 at 4:52 am Reason: more info
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Found the Phone Numbers

Originally Posted by stephenjc
In the wiki it states

Q: As redemption seats are released at midnight GMT, what is the best way to secure them? There is no guarantee they will be available when the BA office opens in the morning!
A: A common practice on the forum is to use this tool and call a BA office that is open at midnight GMT. You will then be able to make the booking without waiting for your local office to open. Depending on timezone, Japan, Hong Kong and even the USA are frequently contacted for this purpose.

However the "use this tool" link no longer works, can someone please post the phone numbers or message me them, as I'll need to phone up in a few days to add a TYO return flight to my 2-4-1. Or, do I just call the Silver line and I'll be put through to a call centre in an active timezone?

Thanks, Stephen
Answered my own question all the different contact numbers are available on the BA EXEC web site.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Thanks for the response. So, talk the missus into a mini-TP run with me to get Bronze to get a 7 day advance seat reservation for all 4 or simply take my chances without seat reservations nor status? Not really worth getting Gold half-way through my TP earning year methinks?
I’ve done several 241 as a lowly blue, I’ve never been bumped and never booked seats in advance. We’ve always been seated together and on one occasion we were moved to better seats after check-in closed by the lounge staff. If it was me I’d just keep an eye on the loads as the flight gets closer and base your decision on that.
nemonon likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by strickers

I’ve done several 241 as a lowly blue, I’ve never been bumped and never booked seats in advance. We’ve always been seated together and on one occasion we were moved to better seats after check-in closed by the lounge staff. If it was me I’d just keep an eye on the loads as the flight gets closer and base your decision on that.
Thanks Strickers. I try not to worry about 241 changes but can't help it, considering it's the annual family hols and want it to be just so, hence the attempt to mitigate the likelihood of downgrading, etc. I'm on the first of 2 daily HKG flights so there's a little bit of flex in there if the first is full. Que sera and all that.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks Strickers. I try not to worry about 241 changes but can't help it, considering it's the annual family hols and want it to be just so, hence the attempt to mitigate the likelihood of downgrading, etc. I'm on the first of 2 daily HKG flights so there's a little bit of flex in there if the first is full. Que sera and all that.
Downgrades or bumps are very very rare - they just get a lot of noise on FT and elsewhere when they happen. If you want to pay for seats or a TP run for other reasons, that 's your choice, but doing so just to maybe reduce the already tiny chance of a downgrade or bump seems a waste of money.
nemonon likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue, Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer, British Airways Executive Club
LHR to DOH return on F (with the use of 2for1 voucher) - 148000 miles plus 838.68 pounds for taxes. Is this a fair deal?

Last edited by chinhk; Apr 18, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by chinhk
LHR to DOH return (with the use of 2for1 voucher) - 148000 miles plus 838.68 pounds for taxes. Is this a fair deal?
You might want to tell us which cabin you are traveling in. Just a thought.....
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold
I am looking to book the return leg of my 241 from Asia in a few days time when the flights become available and will need to add the domestic connection the following day as it won't become immediately available.

My question is - whilst the long-haul sector will be in J (or even better F thought that's highly unlikely!), is it possible to book the domestic connection back to EDI in either Y or J, or do they have to be the same?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andyedinburgh
I am looking to book the return leg of my 241 from Asia in a few days time when the flights become available and will need to add the domestic connection the following day as it won't become immediately available.

My question is - whilst the long-haul sector will be in J (or even better F thought that's highly unlikely!), is it possible to book the domestic connection back to EDI in either Y or J, or do they have to be the same?
you could book in either but since there is no avios to pay for either and the taxes/fees/charges would be pretty much the same why not just book J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.