Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
British Airways Lounge - Boston (BOS) Edward L. Logan International Airport, Terminal E.

This thread gives details of the British Airways Lounge which opened on 23 March 2017. The lounge also service Iberia, JAL and Cathay Pacific passengers.

Location: Airside, after security, on level 4. Turn left after security, around the corner and then the lifts and escalator up to level 4 is by gate E11. Clearly signposted.

Access: one lounge with standard oneworld access rules, Sapphire and Emeralds plus one guest, GGL and Premier (2 guests), Club World passengers (no guests). First (1 guest). First Dining area reserved for BA First and Premier passengers only.

Open hours mornings: Three hours before the morning BA flight, so currently from 06:00 until 09:00 departure. Also 3 hours before the JAL Tokyo service, so currently 10:30 to 13:30
Open hours evenings: 3 hours before the first BA or IB flight (currently 15:30 for the 18:30 Iberia service) until departure of the last BA or CX flight (currently 01:30). However these will change according to the timetable. Passengers from BA, IB, JL and CX can use the lounge while it is open.

Photo review from tripodjw can be found in post 33.
Photo review from corporate-wage-slave can be found in post 65, with hot food options located in post 66.

Print Wikipost

Boston British Airways Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Pretty special - the food, decor and view seem a world away from the dungeon below!

Curious how it'll handle the BOS flights when they get stacked ontop of each other...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BCFC Season ticket
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, it certainly felt like the basement, but you're right, it was actually level 2, so well above ground level. The new lounge is on level 4.

I'm wondering where all these passengers came from, but the first flight is being called now (18:30 for the 18:55 departure), and I suspect the lounge is going to me much calmer after that. !
I agree - how busy must that flight have been ! - the lounge is virtually empty now !
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
OK, it certainly felt like the basement, but you're right, it was actually level 2, so well above ground level. The new lounge is on level 4.

I'm wondering where all these passengers came from, but the first flight is being called now (18:30 for the 18:55 departure), and I suspect the lounge is going to me much calmer after that. Now that flight perhaps is bad as it gets: there is an Iberia flight (18:30 departure) just before, and this flight is a Super J 747 which is totally full in WTP, CW and nearly full in F and WT. [BA's accountants will be delighted]. The next flight is nearly full (21:10), a 777-200, and the last flight isn't so full, in any case it's a 52J aircraft. So the peak was around 18:00 hrs, and it should get quieter now.

The lounge was busy but just about coped, and it probably won't get much busier with the A380 given one service gets cut altogether.

Incidentally this is really strange: people are queuing through the bar for the boarding gate - what is the point of that? Just wait until the gate is open surely?!
Boarding call 18:30 for an 18:55 flight? Allowing 25 minutes to board? Cutting it close isn't it or is that typical for BA? AA does 45 min for international flights. I wonder if they called for boarding sooner down at the gate level.

And BTW, If you're going queue, doing at a bar beats a gate
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:21 pm

Thanks for the pictures. Maybe I missed it, but is there a seperate area for First (not just the dining)? Or is it just one lounge with a small section of F dining?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Looks impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
So typical of BA that they couldn't communicate the difference between First Dining and Concorde Dining to the staff before opening
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by will2288
Thanks for the pictures. Maybe I missed it, but is there a seperate area for First (not just the dining)? Or is it just one lounge with a small section of F dining?
Just to clarify. The refectory area is the biggest space in the new lounge. One end of it, overlooking the apron, is the Concorde Dining area shown in the photos above, there isn't any thing more than that, the photos show all of it, it's not curtained off and only has about 16 seating places. So one lounge, the BA Lounge, with no First lounge, just a Concorde Dining Room (where room is a bit of a stretch), and currently operating for First travellers only. The rest of the lounge is for Silvers, Golds and Club World travellers all together - plus IB and CX equivalents. The HKG flight leaves at 01:30 so the lounge stays open until then and has a drinks licence / license until 02:00 hr.

Given the limited seating, I'm not sure they could cope with an influx of CCR freeloaders.

One other factoid I haven't seen mentioned before: though this is a Compass operated lounge (as are the other ones in the USA), the staff wear the striped "Waitrose" shirts more usually seen in BaxterStorey operated BA lounges/Lounges in the UK. NYC changed over a few months back, and with the new lounge BOS has the same uniform.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Given the limited seating, I'm not sure they could cope with an influx of CCR freeloaders.
How many CCR holders are likely to be in BOS at one time? I would have to imagine its a couple a day.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Teece
It's a lot better now they have banks of ESTA machines. 1730 arrival should avoid the peak arrivals from Europe.
My sister recently arrived on Norwegian, at the peak time when 4-5 others all come in and had an hours or so wait, which is the longest I've heard of since the machines came in.

Sounds like it was sheer numbers as opposed to anything else. I've only arrived off peak of late and you pretty much walk straight through, if youre one of the first off the plane.

...Then wait ages for the usual awful BOS luggage service
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I can confirm he has transferred to the new Lounge.

And while I deal with other points: the Virgin Clubhouse remains in the basement, not updated, near the former BA lounge. Emirates are getting a new lounge in BOS but as their manager has told me "You need two letters in your name to get anywhere with the BOS airport management, and there's no B in Emirates". Lufthansa's lounge is being finished off next to BA.
Thanks for the pictures they're very good. One small clarification though the VS lounge (and the old BA ones) were on the mezzanine level not in the basement even if it might have seemed like it.

Before the remodeling of Terminal E you had to check in on the ground floor and then walk up the long flight of stairs on the left hand side (or take the escalator on the right hand side ). This took you to the long balcony on the mezzanine level with the door heading towards the lounges. Opening that door and walking along a mirrored corridor with red neon lighting took you through to the lounges which were landside. I'm showing my age here sadly.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 24, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:17 pm

Its typical that for the first time in 13 years and over 50 sectors from terminal E that I've booked VS, as opposed to BA, for my likely one and only terminal E excursion this year, so will miss out on the new views!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Before the remodeling of Terminal E you had to check in on the ground floor and then walk up the long flight of stairs on the left hand side (or take the escalator on the right hand side ). This took you to the long balcony on the mezzanine level with the door heading towards the lounges. Opening that door and walking along a mirrored corridor with red neon lighting took you through to the lounges which were landside. I'm showing my age here sadly.
How long ago was that?!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
How long ago was that?!
A good few years ago, think the work started on Terminal E in 2002. As you looked at the BA check in desks on the ground floor the World Traveler desks were on the left and the Club/First on the right.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
How long ago was that?!
It was sometime after 1999.

On the ground floor, check in desks were to the left and right with the exit point for international arrivals in between. British Airways check in was at the far left, right by the staircase up to the lounges. I think Lufthansa was next to it. Northwest Orient were to the far right.

The lounges were on the mezzanine and the escalators carried on up to the gates. The whole area upstairs was open, with gates at each end. At some stage they put very primitive security in just before the gates at each end. The food court in the gate area is a relatively recent addition, too.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its typical that for the first time in 13 years and over 50 sectors from terminal E that I've booked VS, as opposed to BA, for my likely one and only terminal E excursion this year, so will miss out on the new views!
The VS lounge has a good selection of beers if that makes you feel any better.

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Originally Posted by woggledog
VS's Boston lounge, IMHO, is one of the better ones. Because of its bijouness, I find it has a better atmosphere than, say, SFO.

As for the beer selection, I think you'll find this unequalled:

I don't think I've ever seen Cisco Brewers Whale's Tale Pale Ale (seventh from right top row) and Sankaty Light Lager (second from left top row) in a lounge anywhere and a big ^ to VS for stocking that. If you're ever visiting ACK a tour of the brewery (they also make vodka & whisky [which just won a national award] - Tripple 8 - and wine - Nantucket Vineyard) isn't a bad way to spend an afternoon.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 24, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.