Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew 2 BOB legs today, MF on 319's, but the first was run by non MF, 7 rows of CE, and 6 staff (that I counted). The POS machines screwed up and wouldn't complete the first sale about 4 rows into ET (well the first was someone who tried to pay cash, although they did announce clearly that cash wasn't accepted). Crew were still at it 5 minutes later when I fell asleep, so can't

2nd leg was a MF crew, only 3 rows of CE, and the Senior cabin crew did it her self (4 up on that flight), friendly and with a smile, but slower as she did food/coffee/tea/champagne, and once done, wheeled out the drinks trolley and attended those who wanted other drinks.
Her team came up to the front to have a moan how rubbish the system was (and I would too in their shoes). Just before landing they did bring back a plastic bag of empty soft drink cans to the front, so looks like they did move a reasonable about of drinks.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:28 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Ivanerr
Has anyone flown to DME yet? Is it BoB or not?
I missed the introdcution by three days however, for my return flight, I am still able to request a Gluten Free Special Meal. According to the website, pax on routes with BOB can no longer request a SPML. So given that statement, I would assume that the DME route is still complimentary catering but won't be able to confirm for a few weeks yet.

S
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load
: I wonder how you actually felt about the fact that "every second sentence was personalised" and that it contained "11 apologies or expressions of regret" .....?
Here is the second sentence:
"I wanted to speak to you this evening but I can see you will be preparing to travel on your flight from Newcastle very soon."

And indeed the email was sent at 17:32 and my flight was at 18:30, so I'd probably be trying to find a decent spot in the NCL carpark at that precise time.

In your shoes I'm pretty sure I would have found it smarmy and grovelling, to the point of being totally insincere - and perhaps even patronising.
Well it depends a bit on whether you are a glass half full person or a half empty person (under BoB full glasses have to be paid for, of course). Personally I thought it was a genuine reply, it was good to hear back quickly.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Ok, thanks for getting back on that aspect, CWS.

As you suggest, we all tend to have different reactions and perceptions when reading such letters.

The salient issue here is the fact you - as recipient and 'complainant' - felt it was a genuine (and, clearly, prompt) response.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
It is funny how the same words can be read so differently by different individuals. I read this completely different to you and suggesting that they ARE on a separate planet to passengers or, for that matter, flying crew. What this seems to me to be saying is: All is tickety-boo apart some ultra minor problems on a minuscule number of flights, which was to be expected on a massive roll out like this. The problem seems to be primarily that some of you are not the brightest buttons in the box: we systematically check that the machines we give you do work and yet somehow some of you still manage to struggle with them so we will send some people along on flights to show you how it is done.
Personally I find this message rather troubling and dispiriting.
For better or worse, you and I must have the same reading goggles... That's almost word for word what that memo means to me too.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
It surely can't be long before someone invents an AirBoB or Barter-on-Board app, so people can coordinate purchases beforehand.... "I'll get a multipack of Mars Bars in WHSmith, you get the 2-for-£2 bottles of water in Boots; I'm in seat 5A...."
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Saltire74
I missed the introdcution by three days however, for my return flight, I am still able to request a Gluten Free Special Meal. According to the website, pax on routes with BOB can no longer request a SPML. So given that statement, I would assume that the DME route is still complimentary catering but won't be able to confirm for a few weeks yet.

S
If you do a dummy booking for MOW, it makes no mention of F&B, but switch that to LED and you get the M&S BoB spiel...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
I flew 2 BOB legs today, MF on 319's, but the first was run by non MF, 7 rows of CE, and 6 staff (that I counted). The POS machines screwed up and wouldn't complete the first sale about 4 rows into ET (well the first was someone who tried to pay cash, although they did announce clearly that cash wasn't accepted). Crew were still at it 5 minutes later when I fell asleep, so can't

2nd leg was a MF crew, only 3 rows of CE, and the Senior cabin crew did it her self (4 up on that flight), friendly and with a smile, but slower as she did food/coffee/tea/champagne, and once done, wheeled out the drinks trolley and attended those who wanted other drinks.
Her team came up to the front to have a moan how rubbish the system was (and I would too in their shoes). Just before landing they did bring back a plastic bag of empty soft drink cans to the front, so looks like they did move a reasonable about of drinks.

It's a learning curve, and they will work out the kinks and Customers will acclimatize to it. I flew on the last day of complementary catering (crisps and cookies) and would have killed to have bought a sandwich on my 2 hour & 45 minute flight.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kwisstan
​​​​​​What's the timescale for the avios reduction to post? I would have expected next day? Or is it the magical Wednesday like other transactions?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have now made 9 BoB flights, and I made an Avios transaction on each of them, going back to 12 January. Not one of them has posted, maybe it's all free! More prosaically I suspect their land based transaction processing is even slower than the airborne process. I will update the Information thread when something happens.
Three of my 10 BoB transactions have now posted:

That's the 2 oldest transactions and one of the middle ones. So we seem to be looking at 3 to 8 days.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
It's a learning curve, and they will work out the kinks and Customers will acclimatize to it. I flew on the last day of complementary catering (crisps and cookies) and would have killed to have bought a sandwich on my 2 hour & 45 minute flight.
I guess some will and some won't. Now this is the thing. BA were smart to slowly cut the food offering and softened some if its passengers until they thought it would good to have BoB compared to a pack of crisps. BA will never see any penny or avios for BoB from me. I can die but won't show them the f€&&gmoney. That is in the rare occasions that I will fly with them in the future.

And if you are looking for good service on a 2:45 flight, take AF, LH or A3.

Sitting in the lounge in BRU for my first leg to LHR. Then its a one hour connection for my flight to JFK. Just before boarding I will go to buy a hot breakfast panini. More substantial (eggs and bacon), hot, cheaper and I will enjoy it while others will wonder if the trolley will reach them. Oh and by the way, no hot options to BRU. I will report on the flight later!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:10 am

Hope you are all well today,

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
A well known BBC News presenter - a friend of mine - flew up to GLA from LHR on Monday. On the flight she was sitting near the front of the aircraft and when the trolley came down she asked for a hot water and lemon (she'd already eaten in the lounge). There was a 'discussion' between the CC over whether she should be charged for the lemon. One male CC said "this is ridiculous". She wasn't charged.
The BA service stand on hot water is as follows: Hot water is to be served in a twinning tea cup, so as such should be charged as a tea .

Originally Posted by Ivanerr
Has anyone flown to DME yet? Is it BoB or not?
DME is still fully catered and you will be order special meals, this is the same for Middle East flight too . The DME is operated by LH and ME is operated by EF.

Originally Posted by NickB
It is funny how the same words can be read so differently by different individuals. I read this completely different to you and suggesting that they ARE on a separate planet to passengers or, for that matter, flying crew. What this seems to me to be saying is: All is tickety-boo apart some ultra minor problems on a minuscule number of flights, which was to be expected on a massive roll out like this. The problem seems to be primarily that some of you are not the brightest buttons in the box: we systematically check that the machines we give you do work and yet somehow some of you still manage to struggle with them so we will send some people along on flights to show you how it is done.
Personally I find this message rather troubling and dispiriting.
Well that's the feeling amongst the crew and wider staff community.

Safe flying

:::::::::::::::::::::::
My username is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA
::::::::::::::::::::::
The information posted here are my views and opinion . They do not reflect the official view or opinion or any other individual or company
:::::::::::::::::::::::
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel.return
DME is still fully catered and you will be order special meals, this is the same for Middle East flight too . The DME is operated by LH and ME is operated by EF.
BA have provided Short Haul catering to DME for the last two years or so. Are they really still procuring the old stale sandwiches for this one route?

I was also told in December by the Cabin Crew on a DME flight that WT was going BoB.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
BA391 LHR-BRU. Airbus 319. 70% full. 4 CE rows. Friday 20 January.

- Taxi 10:03
- Take off 10:11
- Seat belt sign off 10:17 (over Antwerp)
- Inflight service announcement. ET drinks to be bought from the menu (M&S not mentioned).
- Credit card or avios payments only. No mention of cash.
- CC from CE went straight to the back. Only one CC for CE.
- Reached coast of Belgium. No trolley yet.
- Trolley reached front of ET 10:22
- A bacon was requested in row 6. Not available due to short flight. 10:23.
- One CC not very familiar with iPad.
- Row 6. A coffee was bought. 3 minutes for the trnsaction. Seemed smooth. Total: £2.30
- Olives, crisps & tea in row 8. 3 minutes again to complete the transaction. Total:£4.50
- Yugurt, juice and coffee in row 10 (my row). 3 minutes again. Guy asked if it was new as he clearly was not aware. He was not impresssed. Total: £6.05
- Water was requested in row 9. Only tap water saud the CC. The guy was not interested in tap water.
- And that was it. The trolley was ignored from row 11 till the end. 10:34
- Descent 10:35
- 10 minutes to landing 10:49

So to sum the whole thing:
- 3 transactions (9 minutes)
- total: £12:75
- payments went smoothely but 3 minutes averagely per sale. So if demand is big there is no way they could ever sell to everyone on this route

Now about the experience:
- It is sad to see the CC waiving the M&S menu. It makes the whole experience very cheap.
- Brought my own water and a delicious omelette and bacon pannini sizzling hot from the airport.
- As I am never ever gonna show them my f&&ing money or avios for that M&S food, my only interaction with the CC is now limited to saying Hi/Bye and handing them my rubbish which is again sad.
- Soon boarding to JFK. I will stock up with crisps for my first drink and buy a sandwich and a big bottle of water from the terminal to eat it before landing. Will refuse that crappy ambient snack
- So what's the BA experience now: finding ways to make up for all the cuts that have been introduced in the last year
- As a Gold member traveling exclusively in Y on very expensive last minutes trips, I say enough is enough. There is nothing premium about this airline. They see me as a walking wallet. This trip is gonna take me to Silver. Not planning to reach gold anymore as I don't feel valued at all.
- After that it is Air France all the way. The food is excellent in Longhaul. They offer food on longer shorhaul flights with hot options. Cabins are fresh and nice. And all their classes are better than BA classes.

- Landed 11:07 (10:07 UK time)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Well, my second BoB flight experience included me making a purchase as I simply couldn't resist. The service was upbeat and entertaining which was a credit to the crew; perhaps not to everyone's taste if you're after clean cut professional etiquette, but I thoroughly enjoyed. My transaction took 3 minutes. Although I wasn't paying a great deal of attention I guess there wasn't much sold on the flight as both trolleys were back in the galleys with crew in tact 8 minutes later.

For ref flight was BA1459 EDI-LHR 14th Jan.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
LHR - ABZ last night

3 crew on the A319. The two down the back started down the back and got berated by the CSM when they met in the middle: "Where did you two start?"......."At the back"......"Oh, right, well you need to start in the middle so remember that next time please". They did manage to complete the service though and the flight was pretty packed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.