Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Starting to look into TP runs for the first time in my life and this thread is incredibly helpful. I tend to have time on my hands at short notice only so planning trips for March 2018 does not work for me.

In your experience, how short in advance can you book to get sub £2 per TP? Can something ever be found at a week’s notice, a month?
A fairly straight forward 560 can often be had on Qatar short notice for around £1000 if you don’t mind positioning, often for as close as the next week. Just depends what deals they have bubbling around
rossmacd likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:32 pm

Starting to look into TP runs for the first time in my life and this thread is incredibly helpful. I tend to have time on my hands at short notice only so planning trips for March 2018 does not work for me.

In your experience, how short in advance can you book to get sub £2 per TP? Can something ever be found at a week’s notice, a month?
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
A fairly straight forward 560 can often be had on Qatar short notice for around £1000 if you don’t mind positioning, often for as close as the next week. Just depends what deals they have bubbling around
Whilst mikeyfly is absolutely correct for QR based TP runs (heading east), for more typical BA/AA fares (heading west), you are likely to be booking about minimum 4 weeks out based on advance purchase restrictions for longhaul. This is to make the most of the I booking class, which can get closed off fairly far out, in order to maximise revenue for the airlines for travellers who have to book closer in!

You may be picking up some shorthaul CE bookings at shorter notice. That being said, we have seen some fares filed that buck the trend - you just need to jump in when something interesting pops up
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

I tried to find something 2 weeks ago to go west from LHR and couldn't find anything close... I was willing to position ex-EU with avios. I searched and searched... my wife got fed up with me as I was always on the computer on itaMatrix or on FT looking at the various TP run threads (hence my touchiness when rossmacd suggested I was trying to get others to do my legwork!!!).

It seemed to me that to go west I needed to book weeks ahead. Not something I am able to do either.

I was going to use my week holiday on a long TP run but in the end my priorities changed and I just went for a holiday in the sun instead!

Still hoping to get one or two TP runs in to get to gold but next year now I expect if I can't find anything sooner when I get the time.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
LOL!

Not a lot of willingness to help there was there. I know you help others... just wonder what we have done to deserve such a rebuke.

Anyway... enough of this idle chitchat... I am currently in Doha after a failed attempt to book a TP run resulted in me running out of time and so I booked a WT+ fare DOH - LHR and UuA to CW just to get away. When I am back next week I shall stop pestering you and get down to find something on my own.

Last time I ask for help here if that is how we are treated when we do
Whilst it's always a good idea to not get involved in Internet arguments I'll ignore my own advice here. Rossmacd has an excellent history of helping people, and as someone that's benefited from his help I'll offer my ten bob's worth. He was merely making the point that there are seemingly more people posting on here doing little more than asking for someone else to find routes and fares for them. There really is a lot of information here as to how to use Matrix, and beyond that it's a lot of legwork trying dates, routes and starting points. I'm unaware of any magic trick to this other than spending an hour or two trying. Often when someone says there is a fare x available to y, you just try lots of other destinations in the same country.

Saying it's the last time you'll ask for help is just petulance, I'm sure if you do decide to they'll be lots of people still offering help. But I think it helps if you say what you've tried and what isn't working out.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:19 pm

I didn't say he hadn't helped others. Clearly he does generally and that is commendable... I acknowledged that in one of my posts.

He asked me to check out his posting record to confirm his willingness to assist... I didn't have to... I have seen his willingness and when I said that most people were willing to help I had included him in that statement. However, before posting a rebuke to me for asking the question perhaps he should have done the same and looked at my posting history where he would have seen that I am clearly not just asking the question out of laziness. I have been searching and searching, trying to find something suitable... admittedly at short notice and admittedly heading west, but for him to just give me a telling off in that way was totally uncalled for and in my opinion unnecessary.

If he wanted to make the general point that there is an increase in people just wanting others to do the work for them then that may be a valid point and he could have made it in a general way instead of making it a person rebuke... incorrectly in my case.

Internet arguments are never a good idea but when someone tries to give me a dressing down for no valid reason it upset me and made me cross. His point may or may not be valid... I am not experienced enough here to comment... what I do know is that I am not one of those asking others to do the searching without having searched myself into oblivion first. The reason I am not finding anything suitable is either it isn't there, or more likely IMO, my inexperience means I can't find it... hence the request for help.

Yes, I suppose it was petulant of me to say I won't ask for help in the future and I apologise for going off on one over this but before people make those kinds of personal rebukes I suggest they check their facts first... for example: he could have asked what we had already done ourselves to find something and then pointed out ways to improve our chances of finding something thereby helping us to help ourselves... the dressing down was unnecessary.

This is my last post on the issue and yes, I will ask for help when I feel I need it in future... I had just thrown teddy out of the pram. Apologies
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Mrs Balf needs 105 TP's for gold. I'm looking at a day trip for her, either LGW-AMS-LHR/LCY-EDI-LGW or LGW-FNC b2b. Both pricing around £525-50 ballpark - I know its not a great £:TP ratio but the amount of grief I am getting, I'm just happy to pay.
Is FNC b2b achievable with 50 min turnaround or should I stick with UK/AMS route mentioned? Has to be same day (any day available), LGW and within next 2 weeks. Thx
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by wgbalf
Mrs Balf needs 105 TP's for gold. I'm looking at a day trip for her, either LGW-AMS-LHR/LCY-EDI-LGW or LGW-FNC b2b. Both pricing around £525-50 ballpark - I know its not a great £:TP ratio but the amount of grief I am getting, I'm just happy to pay.
Is FNC b2b achievable with 50 min turnaround or should I stick with UK/AMS route mentioned? Has to be same day (any day available), LGW and within next 2 weeks. Thx
Another option is to do 2 day trips by nesting 2 tickets (XXX could be JER, EDI or GLA
Ticket 1: LGW-XXX Saturday, XXX-LGW Sunday
Ticket 2: XXX-LGW Saturday, LGW-XXX Sunday

Ticket 1 in CE would get 80TPs for c. £250, Ticket 2 in mixed class would get minimum 45 TPs.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wgbalf
Does it absolutely have to depart LGW? As others have said up-thread it should be possible to b2b LCY-KEF (although I can't vouch for the b2b ability personally) for 160TP. It is available on 2nd November (2 weeks today) for only £332...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
Does it absolutely have to depart LGW? As others have said up-thread it should be possible to b2b LCY-KEF (although I can't vouch for the b2b ability personally) for 160TP. It is available on 2nd November (2 weeks today) for only £332...
Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes has to be LGW - we are based 30mins south LGW. LCY/LHR options (although plentiful) just adds to travel time. My gut feeling is LGW-FNC-LGW for ease and 160TP - just need to confirm that the 50 min turnaround is feasible by those that have done it before.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Hi, just trying to plan out our trips and see if we can get to gold at a reasonable cost, suggestions appreciated.

I'm currently on target for 1250tp and missus and youngish son will be on 1280 (1320 if they get a two week grace).

We have to do a positioning to AMS in CE in dec, but I'm not sure if I should buy those outright (£216) or use RFS. If we buy outright, I'll need 170 to reach gold and they'll need 140/100. If not then I'll need 250 and they'll need 220/180.

We have Feb half term left to make a trip to collect the requisite TP. Was thinking perhaps buying AMS in cash and then we could do LHR-MAD-BCN for 120TP which would just tip them over the edge if they got a 2 week extension, but that would leave me 50 short. I could do a quick run somewhere by myself if required.

Or is there another obvious way to get the whole ~250TP in one go at a reasonable price that I've missed? I can't (won't be allowed to) do crazy runs so needs to be reasonably family friendly.

Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Blue :(
I've got a flight from LHR to GAL on Sunday 5th Nov. CE is up to row 8, is this normal for a Sunday flight to GAL?

BA1482
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by BlackSkyuk
I've got a flight from LHR to GAL on Sunday 5th Nov. CE is up to row 8, is this normal for a Sunday flight to GAL?

BA1482
My record count is 49 in Club to Manchester from Heathrow.

Its usually at least 5 rows to scotland.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BlackSkyuk

BA1482
Sounds like quite a lot but not ridiculous - for such a short flight you probably want to consider siting as close to the front as possible for quicker service! I think NCE/GVA/ZRH take the biscuit usually - 10+ rows of CE is fairly standard on these routes. I had 12 rows on an A319 to BRU recently which was unexpected!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:53 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I'm not entirely sure who could benefit from this, but here goes:

IKA-LHR-YYZ/YUL-JFK-LHR-KBP, 1230 GBP for 520 TPs or 2.36 GBP/TP so just squeaks by TP run territory.

Example date Dec 7 - 16. Come visit me!
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
I'm not entirely sure who could benefit from this, but here goes:

IKA-LHR-YYZ/YUL-JFK-LHR-KBP, 1230 GBP for 520 TPs or 2.36 GBP/TP so just squeaks by TP run territory.

Example date Dec 7 - 16. Come visit me!
You live in IKA or KBP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.