Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:00 pm
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by rapidex
    How would you train 17000 in a few weeks?
    Say they take 100 new entrants a week, that's three years' worth of fresh-faced supplies.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:03 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
    Say they take 100 new entrants a week, that's three years' worth of fresh-faced supplies.
    What's the current turnover rate for MF though? I understood it was very poor. No point getting 100 in every week if you are losing 100 out too.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    What's the current turnover rate for MF though? I understood it was very poor. No point getting 100 in every week if you are losing 100 out too.
    Very true , it is designed to be high , from my conversations BA Cabin crew, the company does not want staff to stay longer than a few years , they expect them to move on as they expect other new-hires to fill the empty boots ..
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    what's this then? "You probably could change BA for Ryanair"

what the relevance of a change strategy at FR?
    As I'm sure you're well aware, FR for long enough didn't have a great reputation for customer service.

CIHY's opinion was that BA need to stop the profit at all costs before customer service.

FR have changed tact and Made an effort to I improve customer service, and has improved their profits.
    Their words.
    Maybe BA should try it...
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    As I'm sure you're well aware, FR for long enough didn't have a great reputation for customer service.

CIHY's opinion was that BA need to stop the profit at all costs before customer service.

FR have changed tact and Made an effort to I improve customer service, and has improved their profits.
    Their words.
    Maybe BA should try it...
    Why do you think FR changed their approach?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:22 pm

Why do you think FR changed their approach?
    You tell me
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:22 pm
    Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
    I have no idead what the BA CEO earns and I would imagine neither do most of the passengers.

How is what BA doing not working for them atm? CIHY's point was that BA must stop putting profit over customer satisfaction. If customer satisfaction is indeed suffering where is the evidence to be seen in terms of drops in numbers or yields?
    A few points. First there seems to be a common misconception that earning profit automatically validates their management strategy. This is not at all so. We do not know the counterfactual, and it is perfectly possible alternative strategies would yield higher profits, and perhaps more importantly, greater long term profitability. There are plenty of business people who question BAs strategy. Of course, we will have to wait and see.

Cost cutting will always increase profits in the short term, but long term effects could be disastrous if too much harm is done to the brand. Plenty of case studies of this. Also plenty of examples of management following a strategy to maximise short term returns, purely for self gain, with the intention of getting out when things turn. Is this the case here? No-one can say.

In terms of customer satisfaction, we don't have BAs internal figures, but all the external data we can see seems to consistently show declining satisfaction, whether skytrax, TripAdvisor, feedback here, media reports etc. etc. And poorer ratings than their main competitors in Europe. That all show the same trend is telling, and I imagine the internal data is similar, hard to imagine customers lining up to tell BA they enjoy reduced service in various areas for the same price. Indeed we have heard reports of some in management admitting they have gone too far.

Finally, on staff again. Demoralised, stressed, worried staff are less productive and will cost you money. Leaving aside any moral concern of how they should be treated. Even when this dispute is resolved, it may well be that the long term damage is far more costly than whatever overt savings are made. As an economist this is the trouble I see throughout BA, focus on tangible savings that can be bragged about to the markets, with no feeling for the intangibles, the value of staff and customer goodwill, or unobservable revenue losses. As an economist BA is a very interesting company to follow at the moment....

We will have to reconvene in a couple of years to see the really impact of the chosen strategy.

Last edited by nallison; Jul 23, 2017 at 4:28 pm
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:23 pm

You tell me
    Perhaps since you are making the comparison it may better coming from you?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:26 pm

Perhaps since you are making the comparison it may better coming from you?
    Why they decided is irrelevant and I was comparing the action, not methodology.

And your our reason for their change is?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:30 pm

Why they decided is irrelevant and I was comparing the action, not methodology.

And your our reason for their change is?
    Why is very relevant surely. If the same factors don't exist with BA as they did for FR then why should BA change in the same way. I am trying to understand what the factors were at FR for their change.

I am not proposing BA follow the FR route so I am not sure why you are asking me to explain the FR change?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:34 pm
    Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
    Why is very relevant surely. If the same factors don't exist with BA as they did for FR then why should BA change in the same way. I am trying to understand what the factors were at FR for their change.

I am not proposing BA follow the FR route so I am not sure why you are asking me to explain the FR change?
    Ryanair were very open that they changed tack because the brand became so tainted it was costing them business, even while offering low fares.

If you happen to believe BA are damaging their brand to the extent it will lost them customers, this is very relevant indeed.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:34 pm

I'm not privy to why, so any explanation I would give would be pure speculation.

All I can judge is the words and action.

The reason I'm asking you is you perhaps have a theory or actual knowledge of why.
    If you did, it would be nice if you shared it.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:36 pm

I'm not privy to why, so any explanation I would give would be pure speculation.

All I can judge is the words and action.

The reason I'm asking you is you perhaps have a theory or actual knowledge of why.
    If you did, it would be nice if you shared it.
    I am sorry but I have no such knowledge or theory. I didn't raise FR, you did, so I am not clear why you think I would know? Perhaps you could find out why by doing some research and tell us?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:42 pm

I am sorry but I have no such knowledge or theory. I didn't raise FR, you did, so I am not clear why you think I would know? Perhaps you could find out why by doing some research and tell us?
    Personally, I have better things to do.
    Don't let me hold you back though.

And nailson's last paragraph is how I would perceive the situation to be anyway.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by nallison
    Ryanair were very open that they changed tack because the brand became so tainted it was costing them business, even while offering low fares.

If you happen to believe BA are damaging their brand to the extent it will lost them customers, this is very relevant indeed.
    Ah so FR changed because they were losing business. Is that happing at BA? What do the results say? They usually have load factors in as well as just headline profit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.