Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
    I thought strike pay was <£100 a week?
    AFAIK - it's up to the strength of the strike fund - but I'm not well versed in this area.

But if it is that little - at £400 a week - could you afford a 60% pay cut for long? (assuming tax free, and on the income level I suggested above)

If you're on proper poverty pay - you're going to be living week to week.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
    Well, yes, 459 is an MF service so I guess they can deny compensation. I wonder whether they could do this if it were an EF service.

458/9 has also been canceled for Saturday and a couple of subsequent days. No problem getting rebooked on the earlier flight though, so all fine.

I am glad it is only a CE flight down to MAD - if I were on a CW or F flight, I would be extremely angry at reduced service, especially since there seems no improvement in sight any time soon. But given what I have read about some other positive experiences here, this seems to turn into a lottery now, yet another step down for BA; guess will rather avoid them the rest of the year and get my TP on OW partners....
    I was fortunate to rebook on the Ibera A346 flight instead so I still retained the level of service that I would get on the 777.

Still, I would have thought BA would have had to cancel the flight more than 24 hours in advance if it were due to a strike.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
    I'm hearing BA are moving a lot of long haul flights to WW to reduce the impact. The next months rotas are out and I believe the working MF are not happy with what they are doing.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Jul 20, 2017 at 4:37 pm Reason: Sp
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
    Considerably more than that....

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    Ouch - what is the size of the fund at unite to pay this? I imagine they won't want to be draining it for that long?
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
    lol qatar airways might as well permanently base their planes in t5!
    "British Qatari Airways" to lauch soon?
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:43 pm

I think I read somewhere on FT the strike pay was £60 a day, going on to say this was around double the normal amount
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
    "British Qatari Airways" to lauch soon?
    You say that like it's a bad thing
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:02 pm

Does BA transfer you to a non partner airline if all other BA and AA and Iberia flights are full? Flying MIA to LHR on 206 7/31(MON) in CW. Last two Saturdays my flight 206 at 17:10 was cancelled. BA has an 20:40, AA has two flights also direct, and the only remaining one with a direct route from MIA to LHR is Virgin Atlantic. Seems like a lot of options just in case.
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
    Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
    I'm hearing BA are moving a lot of long haul flights to WW to reduce the impact. The next months rotas are out and I believe the working MF are not happy with what they are doing.
    Next months WW rosters have been out for Over two weeks and were published before this next strike action was announced.

WW rostering is pretty rigid, so while it's likely lots of standbys may be for MF routes, they've missed the opportunity to forward roster lots of them. Also don't forget WW crew get lots of days off in between trips so there's not a huge amount of spare crew capacity in that fleet.

Last edited by A P Yu; Jul 21, 2017 at 1:06 am
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
    First time on one of the QR birds last night, as they operated the CPH route twice yesterday - both the 818/819 (early evening) an 820/821 (late evening) rotations. I was on the former, my colleague on the latter. Load was very light on mine (81 people - predominantly due to the Danes being right in the middle of their peak holiday season, so business travel is very low).

Have to say - service was excellent ... and the view from many in the bus to the terminal afterwards was that if this is what we get when MF are on strike, then let them strike more!

It is safe to say that MF have lost the PR battle ...
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:14 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by Jordan D
    First time on one of the QR birds last night, as they operated the CPH route twice yesterday - both the 818/819 (early evening) an 820/821 (late evening) rotations. I was on the former, my colleague on the latter. Load was very light on mine (81 people - predominantly due to the Danes being right in the middle of their peak holiday season, so business travel is very low).

Have to say - service was excellent ... and the view from many in the bus to the terminal afterwards was that if this is what we get when MF are on strike, then let them strike more!

Perhaps as far as those who have had their free drinks and snacks reinstated, but perhaps not so much if your flight had been cancelled or the service had been affected because of a shortage of crew?
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Jordan D

But BA might be losing the in-flight service cutback battle
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:03 am
    Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    QR did attempt to set up a second airline called Al Maha, and bought four A320s for it. That may leave them with an oversupply.

Also even if diplomatic relations are restored, it could take a few weeks before it is worth running a full schedule again.
    QR have all sorts of aircraft issues at present - too many narrowbodies, and not enough widebodies.

As such, and due to the current blockade, passenger numbers are that much lower than expected.

However, travel during the summer months between DOH and the UAE, KSA, Egypt, etc, is regularly low, meaning QR can send their planes out to other airlines.

Come September time, and irrespective of whether the blockade is ongoing, QR will need it's A320s and crew back from BA.

Perhaps fortunately for BA, its busiest time coincides with the quietest period for QR (for use of narrowbodies), so it's beneficial to both sides.

M
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:15 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by msm2000uk
    QR have all sorts of aircraft issues at present - too many narrowbodies, and not enough widebodies.

As such, and due to the current blockade, passenger numbers are that much lower than expected.

However, travel during the summer months between DOH and the UAE, KSA, Egypt, etc, is regularly low, meaning QR can send their planes out to other airlines.

Come September time, and irrespective of whether the blockade is ongoing, QR will need it's A320s and crew back from BA.

Perhaps fortunately for BA, its busiest time coincides with the quietest period for QR (for use of narrowbodies), so it's beneficial to both sides.

M
    I think as we come in to September onwards BA may lose access to the QR planes, but more UK/EU operators should be available since we start heading in to the European low season. I guess we would see more of the Titan/Thomas Cook etc. aircraft appearing if the strikes go in to autumn.
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:39 am
    Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    I think as we come in to September onwards BA may lose access to the QR planes, but more UK/EU operators should be available since we start heading in to the European low season. I guess we would see more of the Titan/Thomas Cook etc. aircraft appearing if the strikes go in to autumn.
    Which, ultimately, puts the striking crew in a rather precarious position, because BA are showing that their Plan B is working.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.