Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Originally Posted by Sam Bee
    As one of the tens of thousands flying Mixed Fleet routes during what could *possibly* be a disrupted period can we hold off with the 'i'm flying xx on xx Jan' can I do xx or do BA have to do xx - UNTIL we get firm details of whether a strike happens, and if so, when it will happen?
    Sure, apologies for asking annoying questions.

I wish good luck to the MF cabin crew staff, it sounds like they are properly ripped off. CE/CW are quite a bit more expensive than low cost carriers and for this much money I'd expect the staff involved to get paid a decent wage and I'm rather infuriated to learn they aren't.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:24 pm
    Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
    Originally Posted by jiffer21225
    I am a novice at traveling compared to everyone on here so please don't kill me for asking. I tried the link but it doesn't work for me. I have a flight booked from BWI-LHR for December 29th with a return on January 6th. I booked the tickets through AA. Can anyone tell me if this is a mix fleet flight?

The other question I have is I booked originally booked WT seat but called back about a month later and upgraded our seats to a WT+ (with cash) which was an additional $700 for 2 tickets. If AA moves us to an AA operated flight they do not have premium economy seats. Any idea how they would handle that?

I can totally understand them striking considering the pay they are receiving. But I do need to work on a back up plan if they do strike.
    The link seems to have been misposted, but you will find the correct link in the WIKI at the top of this thread (only visible on a computer, or on Desktop Mode from your phone). However, the good news for you, is that BWI is NOT operated by MF.

In terms of a back-up plane, the onus is on BA to reaccomodate you, should your flights be disrupted for any reason.

However, as has been said up thread, don't panic until a strike date is announced - if strike action even goes ahead.

Hopefully BA and the Union will meet, and come to a fair agreement with the hardworking MF cabin crew members.

M
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:26 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    So less than 50% of unite members voted to strike and less that a third of MF crew voted to strike.

I guess unite will see this as a ringing endorsement for strike action. Whatever happened to democracy?

Unite can only be concerned with it's members.

% calculations should only be done based on the unite members of MF not all MF staff or even all BA cabin crew.

80% of those who voted voted in favour so yes it is a ringing endorsement for possible strike action and this IS democracy
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:26 pm

I don't think it's helpful to ask which routes are MF.

In the event of a strike I'd expect BA to reallocate crews to whichever services they want to protect. So any feeling of panic or concern at this point is premature. Particularly when we don't know which dates - if any - might be chosen.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:28 pm

BA crews have my support.

The mere media noise around a strike at Christmas will have an impact and maybe Mr Walsh will stop smirking at service and staff "enhancements". Slowly becoming Europe'a worst airline.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:33 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
    Originally Posted by fincastle84
    The actual figures are:

"Number of ballot papers returned: 1519 (note for context: there are about 4000 members of MF and 15,000 total cabin crew)
    Number of papers found to be invalid: 2
    Total number of valid papers to be counted: 1517
    Yes: 1206 (79.5%)
    No: 311 (20.5)"

Therefore only 37% actually bothered to vote, hardly an overwhelming majority of TOTAL members wanting to strike.
    Not all MF staff are members of unite so couldn't vote.

WW fleet were not part of the ballot - even if they were unite members.

It's the number of unite members that should be used for calculating turnout not the total number of MF staff.

Does anyone have that figure?
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:33 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
    The link is missing a : after http.

BWI is not a MF route (but could be affected if they need to pull the crew from that flight onto a MF flight).

They would downgrade you into Economy and provide a refund, alternatively I'm sure at least one of the BA flights from the Washington area would operate.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
    Originally Posted by Lite
    Thank you. As one of the 79.5% of Cabin Crew and CSM's who did vote for industrial action, it is very much appreciated. I know that like many of my colleagues, I do not want to cause anyone any disruption and I am very hopeful that the company will invite our union reps to discuss this pay deal and have something where we have a pay offer that at the least offers some sort of parity with other Heathrow based airlines, if not compared with all U.K. operators. Fingers crossed we can get to work and do a job that we love doing, we don't have to disrupt anyone's travel plans and we can be offered a fair pay deal.
    No need for thanks, you're there for my safety
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
    Originally Posted by drhandsome
    Sure, apologies for asking annoying questions.

I wish good luck to the MF cabin crew staff, it sounds like they are properly ripped off. CE/CW are quite a bit more expensive than low cost carriers and for this much money I'd expect the staff involved to get paid a decent wage and I'm rather infuriated to learn they aren't.
    Definitely wasn't targetted at you! Don't apologise! But there is a lot of uncertainty and 30% of posts from now on will be unanswerable as no-one knows until the unions announce their intentions.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive club
    Good luck to MF crew. BA/IAG are an embarrassment!
    What does WW want? QR type staff contracts where staff are basically slaves to their employers?
    I am an employer in the UK and pay above average wages plus other incentives and that's in an industry known for abusing workers. It is possible to pay good wages, care about your staff and still make good profits.
    An old saying is that a business is like a stool with 3 legs- 1 leg the managers/owners, 1 leg the workers and 1 leg the customers.
    Take away any leg and the business collapses. BA seem to be taking away 2 legs.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Originally Posted by settlenick
    Good luck to MF crew. BA/IAG are an embarrassment!
    What does WW want? QR type staff contracts where staff are basically slaves to their employers?
    I am an employer in the UK and pay above average wages plus other incentives and that's in an industry known for abusing workers. It is possible to pay good wages, care about your staff and still make good profits.
    An old saying is that a business is like a stool with 3 legs- 1 leg the managers/owners, 1 leg the workers and 1 leg the customers.
    Take away any leg and the business collapses. BA seem to be taking away 2 legs.
    Right. I'm also an employer/small businesses owner in the UK/EU and my priorities are, in this order: (1) the welfare of my staff, (2) clients, (3) investors, (4) everyone else. I still make a healthy profit.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
    No need for thanks, you're there for my safety
    +1
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:51 pm

BA have almost 4000 iCSP, ground staff and office workers who are trained to operate as cabin crew. They are current, checked and ready to go. Just over 1200 MF have voted to strike.

I don't like the odds for MF. They deserve better.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
    I totally support the strike. Since the dates are not confirm yet, I've booked some speculative (and flexible) positioning flights for my ex-DUB jolly in case my BA flights on the 29th are affected. Any ideas on whether BA would pay for this in case flights via LHR are not operating? I'll also check with my travel insurance company...
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
    BA have almost 4000 iCSP, ground staff and office workers who are trained to operate as cabin crew. They are current, checked and ready to go. Just over 1200 MF have voted to strike.

I don't like the odds for MF. They deserve better.
    I can understand them filling in when CSDs strike for being made to hand out food. I can't seem them filling in in any great numbers for this situation, in this climate.

Not to say I like the odds for MF, just that I can't see volunteers backfilling to keep the airline alive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.