Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:22 pm
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by a330boston
    Does anyone know if MF do BOS or BOM or BLR. I'm flying from BOS to BOM on 23rd then from BLR back to BOS Jan 13th? Could these specific flights be affected.

Flights are 238, 139, 118, & 215
    Taking on board the comment that the current MF arrangements aren't a clear guide here, you will find the current MF rota via the Wiki link above, visible on FT's full site.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:30 pm

@Can I help you

ok thank you that makes sense
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:33 pm

Like i asked earlier, does the statement “We remain focused on resolving this issue as quickly as possible without any disruption to customers.” mean anything? Or is it just to prevent early panic?
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:35 pm
    sxc
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
    Like i asked earlier, does the statement “We remain focused on resolving this issue as quickly as possible without any disruption to customers.” mean anything? Or is it just to prevent early panic?
    Typical PR speak. They can't say "we expect to stop operations".
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:38 pm

@sxc
    My only bit of hope lies on the fact that this is the busiest travel time of the year for the whole world and that BA should be aware that if there is a strike, there will be LOTS of problems.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
    What would you expect a company spokesperson to say at this stage? Maybe "we remain focused on resolving this issue as slowly as possible so as to guarantee uncertainty and disruption to our customers"!?

I think you may need to take a deep breath and stop panicking. I'm sure your flight will be fine. Maybe also have a quick look at why the crew are threatening to strike while you're at it
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    MF accounts for less than 30% of BA cabin crew. 40% of MF who are members of UNITE didn't vote in the ballot. A significant proportion of MF are not even UNITE members.

I think BA will 'tough this one out'. If they can't get an injunction to stop a strike I think it will probably happen.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:00 pm

@winchpete

Were the strike supporters only UNITE members?
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    @winchpete

Were the strike supporters only UNITE members?
    Yes, the strike ballot was only among MF members of UNITE not MF as a whole.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lite
    I would accept a pay deal that brings us in line with the pay scales offered by other U.K. operators, ideally with other airlines operating from LHR which takes into account the costs of being within the M25, but I would consider a pay deal that at least was in line with other British airlines. I think that's similar to many people I've spoken to as well.
    Whilst I fully accept your arguments, and I certainly do support MF in their endeavours to improve their conditions (this is your right, of course - however, industrial action is not an activity I personally agree with), would it not be easier to move to an airline who pays the rates that you are seeking?

Of course, that is easier said than done, but the only reason I can see that the MF crew do not do make this move is purely because these other airlines are not currently recruiting, and hence market forces are at play? Too many people looking for too few jobs, hence pay goes down.

Maybe I am over simplifying things.

Anyway, best of luck with the fight. As a customer of BA, I can see exactly why the MF crew have decided to make their views heard. My last longhaul is in January (potentially to be affected), and after that everything is on other (better) carriers.
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:28 pm

So that seems like a pretty small percentage of crew. If all of them do go on strike, could that really disrupt flights, or would there simply just be fewer FA's on flights?
    Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:38 pm
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    So that seems like a pretty small percentage of crew. If all of them do go on strike, could that really disrupt flights, or would there simply just be fewer FA's on flights?
    BA's operating licence states how many crew there must be on a given aircraft for safety purposes (and indeed in each cabin depending on load), so there would be disruption if they are unable to maintain those numbers because there would be no option but to cancel the flight. Quite how much and where we can only guess at.

You are not going to find the answers you understandably seek quite yet, I'm afraid - there are simply too many unknowns, and indeed it could be very fluid up to the day if BA doesn't know who will turn up for work and who won't.
    Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
    Supporting MF

I am flying BA next week

I would like to wear a "I support Mixed Fleet" or "I(heart)MF" type badge when travelling

Any idea where I can get one ?

The MF staff on my MIA flights last week were so good that I wrote a thank you note both ways

The amazing staff are the last reason I still fly with BA

I want to show support in some way
    Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
    Originally Posted by rossmacd
    Anyway, best of luck with the fight. As a customer of BA, I can see exactly why the MF crew have decided to make their views heard. My last longhaul is in January (potentially to be affected), and after that everything is on other (better) carriers.
    I fully agree with this. I am in exactly the same position, last LH BA metal flight (AA booked) in January and then for the rest of 2017 on better carriers.
    Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
    Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
    I am flying BA next week

I would like to wear a "I support Mixed Fleet" or "I(heart)MF" type badge when travelling

Any idea where I can get one ?
    http://www.createabadge.co.uk/

You should post a picture of it if you get it done

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.