FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1800457-club-europe-introduced-uk-domestic-flights-launches-01-april-2017-a.html)

headingwest Nov 4, 2016 5:22 am

What's the likelihood that you'll get the next seat free? No chance, I'd imagine.

It's a good move by BA - but those early morning flights that used to have breakfast will basically be paying a lot more for what they're currently getting for 'free'.

KARFA Nov 4, 2016 5:24 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 27435164)
What's the likelihood that you'll get the next seat free?

Unknown atm. You'll have to wait for further details. It may be configured like CE with a table in B & E, or it may not.

manord Nov 4, 2016 5:27 am

Probably means that domestic connections for long haul WTP will no longer book into J. So probably reduced TPs for those domestic connection sectors.

KARFA Nov 4, 2016 5:28 am

Originally Posted by manord (Post 27435177)
Probably means that domestic connections for long haul WTP will no longer book into J. So probably reduced TPs for those domestic connection sectors.

We don't know yet. However, we already have a precedent since the JER route has a CE cabin and booking JER-LGW with a WTP flight results in you being in the CE cabin.

Calchas Nov 4, 2016 5:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 27435162)
Maybe. But then does it mean all business selling classes on domestic flights will now be in the new Club cabin and give lounge access? Currently only J class gives access.

I would assume that J,C,D,R,I buckets will be Club Domestic, in alignment with CE.

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 27435182)
We don't know yet. However, we already have a precedent since the JER route has a CE cabin and booking JER-LGW with a WTP flight results in you being in the CE cabin.

That is probably a mistake based on the fact that "J REQUIRED WITHIN UNITED KINGDOM" includes JER in the context of GDSes.

Calchas Nov 4, 2016 5:53 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 27435164)
What's the likelihood that you'll get the next seat free? No chance, I'd imagine.

It says "Club Europe" coming to domestic flights, not "a UK business class product". I would suspect the proposition will be exactly what is offered on CE on other aircraft.

I may be wrong but that's my view. ;)

Gomac Nov 4, 2016 5:53 am

Nice move, I currently use RFS for the vast majority of my DOM flights so will probably pay the difference given the BOB and the fact I would have parted with the avios for a few drinks anyways.

One negative I suppose is that if im not in DOM CE then I've lost my front row seat.

mario Nov 4, 2016 6:05 am

I think you lot are being extremely naive. These news along the "densification" of LHR-based aircraft hint that they are removing galley space.

I bet that the CE inflight product will become the same as BoB but included in the ticket price instead.

This is the only context where it makes sense to offer CE in UK DOM. There will be no massive changes to the current operations, just make sure that a middle seat is blocked and dish out Ciabattas and G&Ts in plastic cups for free. Done!

madfish Nov 4, 2016 6:15 am

Anybody got any information on when this change may occur and what, if anything, the impact will be on flights already booked for next summer?

ShuttleRunner Nov 4, 2016 6:47 am

Fair enough, I see the benefit for long haul F & J pax. I certainly wouldn't buy a CE ticket for a domestic.

The main problem I see is capacity, as the domestic flights I'm on are always rammed 3 across.Will there be more flights scheduled at peak time? Or will economy prices be absolutely extortionate too? Moreover, will it just be the front section curtained off with some food but still 3-3?

kanderson1965 Nov 4, 2016 7:09 am

Originally Posted by mario (Post 27435301)
I think you lot are being extremely naive. These news along the "densification" of LHR-based aircraft hint that they are removing galley space.

I bet that the CE inflight product will become the same as BoB but included in the ticket price instead.

This is the only context where it makes sense to offer CE in UK DOM. There will be no massive changes to the current operations, just make sure that a middle seat is blocked and dish out Ciabattas and G&Ts in plastic cups for free. Done!

Yes, another case of misguided hope over experience.

Calchas Nov 4, 2016 7:18 am

What I want is a blocked seat beside me. I know you can call up and arrange it but it's a bit of work.

1010101 Nov 4, 2016 7:31 am

Originally Posted by mario (Post 27435301)

Exactly. It will basically be the same as you get now, but they'll rebadge it, charge more, and watch some people lap it up.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 4, 2016 8:05 am

I support this idea. If it works to JER (or BRU for that matter) it can work for the much longer segments. Though not a huge fan of Buy on Board, there is now an inner logic, Club Europe with catering, EuroTraveller is to be paid for. For those of us on connections it provides a choice, and an alternative to the Low Cost Carrier model. For those without status it provides a package of benefits, albeit at a cost. This is one change that some of us have lobbied BA for, and I suspect I may well use this option once implemented.

Cynically it gets around the issue of those travellers who can't expense g&t.

hugolover Nov 4, 2016 8:26 am

I'm sure firms and self-funding pax alike will be delighted to pay more to get the same as before. BA will put fares up to mitigate the loss of seats at the front and the extra APD.

CityFlyer will deploy Club Lite domestically. What a treat.