FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1800457-club-europe-introduced-uk-domestic-flights-launches-01-april-2017-a.html)

Calchas Nov 4, 2016 8:30 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27435744)
I support this idea. If it works to JER (or BRU for that matter) it can work for the much longer segments. Though not a huge fan of Buy on Board, there is now an inner logic, Club Europe with catering, EuroTraveller is to be paid for. For those of us on connections it provides a choice, and an alternative to the Low Cost Carrier model. For those without status it provides a package of benefits, albeit at a cost. This is one change that some of us have lobbied BA for, and I suspect I may well use this option once implemented.

Cynically it gets around the issue of those travellers who can't expense g&t.

I agree.

simons1 Nov 4, 2016 8:43 am

Makes sense really and easy to do. A bit of rag on a pole, empty middle seat, retain current catering, bump up the current prices.

Win/win really.

kanderson1965 Nov 4, 2016 8:46 am

There is still a future for the individually wrapped crisp.

LTN Phobia Nov 4, 2016 8:49 am

Two words: connecting traffic.

You really cannot expect people off on (or off from) F to do BoB on a domestic leg for bottled water, can you?

TravellerFrequently Nov 4, 2016 8:53 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 27435164)
What's the likelihood that you'll get the next seat free? No chance, I'd imagine.

It's a good move by BA - but those early morning flights that used to have breakfast will basically be paying a lot more for what they're currently getting for 'free'.

I thought the same thing.

TravellerFrequently Nov 4, 2016 8:56 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 27435949)

You really cannot expect people off on (or off from) F to do BoB on a domestic leg for bottled water, can you?

Good point.

Maintain some standard for those on connections to/from J and F flights.
flights that

kanderson1965 Nov 4, 2016 8:59 am

No, which is why my bank balance is rather healthy from the refunds for F trips with domestic connections I have recently cancelled.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 4, 2016 10:27 am

I've had a message that points out that buy on board will change the staffing dynamics quite significantly on domestics, which suggests the airline isn't suggesting huge demand for BoB on short sectors. And there isn't on easyJet domestics either, for that matter. Therefore it makes sense to standardise the European routes with the same staffing and delivery standard throughout. It also means CE passengers in the UK will primarily get their service via the SCCM.

headingwest Nov 4, 2016 10:35 am

Originally Posted by 1010101 (Post 27435629)
It will basically be the same as you get now, but they'll rebadge it, charge more, and watch some people lap it up.

This just about sums it up for me!

Drinks are currently free on domestics (and breakfasts too), in my opinion it's unlikely that the next seat will be free, so the only difference will be a £5 salad plonked in front of you...but I'm sure there will be plenty of takers. Oh, and for those of you at the back of the airplane, stuff you.

As we all now know Willie wants to see your money, basically whether at the front or the back you'll all be paying more.

Boten Nov 4, 2016 11:19 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 27436433)

As we all now know Willie wants to see your money, basically whether at the front or the back you'll all be paying more.

A CEO that wants customers to give money and also wishes that those same customers pay more than they used to? Whatever is this world coming to? The board should sack him immediately.

I am very pleased about Domestic CE. I never have to fly BA Y again. It does make sense and is hardly a coincidence with the BoB. Perfect for J and F connecting passengers.

kanderson1965 Nov 4, 2016 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Boten (Post 27436616)
A CEO that wants customers to give money and also wishes that those same customers pay more than they used to? Whatever is this world coming to? The board should sack him immediately.

I am very pleased about Domestic CE. I never have to fly BA Y again. It does make sense and is hardly a coincidence with the BoB. Perfect for J and F connecting passengers.

Assuming they decide to continue to book connections as at present. Remember CE connections into domestic J have recently got the chop.

jonkx Nov 4, 2016 11:58 am

CityFlyer will deploy Club Lite domestically. What a treat.[/QUOTE]

First time I've heard "Club Lite", like!

Skipcool3 Nov 4, 2016 12:02 pm

CE....... in a super cramped cabin.... 180 seats on the A320

BahrainLad Nov 4, 2016 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 27436813)
CE....... in a super cramped cabin.... 180 seats on the A320

Yes it is rather disappointing that the mods seem to have removed the thread about the densification of the short haul fleet - CE on domestics will be joyful with 29" Thomas Cook pitch on an A321.

GlasgowBlue Nov 4, 2016 2:46 pm

Will their connecting domestic leg automatically book into the new domestic CE though? There's been the recent change where the domestic connection for CE bookings from the regions now book into I rather than J and no longer get lounge access at their domestic departure airport.

I have to wonder if once domestic CE is introduced it will become an "optional extra" when making a LH CW/F booking. For non status passengers for their domestic legs there'll be lounge access at your domestic departure airport, free seat selection, "complimentary" food and drink on board..... all for, say £100 pp one way? All of which is included in the total price at the moment.

I may be a million miles off the mark however IMO the move to BoB, paid for meal selection in LH Y, on board WiFi, removal of lounge access to CE domestic connections, intensification of the 772s etc., etc., point to BA moving towards a model that squeezes much more out of each airframe than they currently do and central to this appears to be anything considered an added extra or complimentary will be charged for whenever possible.

With hindsight, paid for seat selection for non status CW bookings appears to have been the the very thin edge of a rather large wedge. BA clearly dipped their toe into the water regarding this and must have found they didn't lose any customers and gained a significant amount of extra revenue. They may feel that with this and maybe one or two other cleverly disguised trials then applying the same principle for more and more aspects we currently take for granted when flying with them will give them the results they want.