Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG Capital Markets Day 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:12 am

After a Thomas Cook flight, I banned them from my personal holiday list.

Looks like BA to London will now only be to LCY.

Or, of course, on other - cheaper! - carriers where I can use the cost saving to pay for emergency exit row!

(and for premium long-haul, I refuse to start - or more importantly, end - a long trip in a Thomas Cook aircraft!)
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
In terms of the 10 abreast 777s, I can't believe FTers are surprised.

The competition have been doing it since last year, so it was surely only a matter of time before BA followed suit.

In terms of the 787-9s, the report seems to say less F on those. Does that mean we'll see aircraft with one solitary row of F?

M
I think that is a reference to what is already accomplished.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Calchas
I think that is a reference to what is already accomplished.
I need to delete the post you've quoted as I put it in the wrong place, but I shall elaborate slightly in terms of what I meant.

I feel sorry for occasional passengers who will no longer find the 777 cabins are comfortable.

Now, I haven't sat in longhaul Y for a long time, but FTers are different to occasional passengers in my opinion. As such, we get more worked up over issues like this - even if they won't affect us directly.

I felt the same when QR upped the seating in Y on the 777s last year, however, the reports back were actually favourable. I was massively surprised, from a personal perspective, but apparently the extra seat came from the aisle space opposed to anywhere else, meaning comfort levels stayed the same.

I believe I read that the aisles were a tad cramped, but they obviously meet health and safety regs, and aircraft evacuation rules too - so they can take an average passengers width with ease.

If BA choose to upgrade the IFE and seat covering etc during the process, then I'm sure it will cushion the blow.

M

Programs: BA Gold
In terms of the 787-9s, the report seems to say less F on those. Does that mean we'll see aircraft with one solitary row of F?

M
I took it to mean that they are reducing F by introducing the smaller 787-9 cabins with 8 seats rather than the 14 on other aircraft (could be wrong of course though)

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Prospero
This is what a 180 seat A320 looks like. It isn't pretty but as you can see additional capacity can be achieved at the back without ripping out the forward bulkhead.
Will they reduce CE pitch though to 29'' (thus less pitch than a standard Ryanair seat)?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bullswood
Was it my imagination or did anyone else see a flash of a rather tasteless slide ( a photo of WW with an expletive re money) at the beginning of the live feed?
yes i saw that
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
One thing that may actually be a positive, and I don't think has been mentioned so far, is they are planning to introduce 'self-service rebooking' during disruptions - there's a picture of a mobile phone below that, so I assume this would be via the app.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Only BA would say, in the same presentation, say they are focussing Investment on where the Customer Values it most and then hacks away at passenger COMFORT with the densification.

Surely COMFORT is something every passenger seeks.

Spectacular arrogance, further indicating Heads up their own bottoms.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bullswood
Was it my imagination or did anyone else see a flash of a rather tasteless slide ( a photo of WW with an expletive re money) at the beginning of the live feed?
Unbelievably, you are absolutely right - look at what appears on page 5 of the PDF of the slide pack which is available for download from the webcast

That is someone in the Investor Relations team with a wicked sense of humour...

GD

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Nov 4, 2016 at 5:59 am Reason: Remove slide showing expletive
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Since a lot seems to be going on right now, may I kindly suggest to use the existing threads (10 abreast 777 and Club UK), and maybe open new ones (A32x densification)? I find it difficult to read threads with multiple topics embedded.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ly-2018-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...c-flights.html
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Last year my sons School introduced a number of price increased and changed their billing currency from Euros to GBP.

The school is okay, but dreadful in terms of extra curricular activities and equipment. In fact the PTA had to step in to buy things like a piano for the school. Results were just above average, but this is a £19k a year school.

What upset most parents though was the shear arrogance of how their concerns were treated.

Anyway last I heard is that a 20% of students left, and the switch from Euros to Sterling would have chopped another quarter from their revenue.

Now at this point you would have thought the penny would have dropped but apparently not, they are now switching back to US Dollars, cutting staff, reducing the number of subjects and raising fees again.

I wonder if to save face BA are reinforcing failure.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Only BA would say, in the same presentation, say they are focussing Investment on where the Customer Values it most and then hacks away at passenger COMFORT with the densification.

Surely COMFORT is something every passenger seeks.

Spectacular arrogance, further indicating Heads up their own bottoms.
If it only affects Y I don't think IAG really care.

To the average Y passenger, who probably flies long haul once a year for their holidays, they see BA as a "luxury" brand. Their grounds for comparison is easyjet and ryanair plus to some extent BA is recognized as premium by the public as BA market themselves as such and they have the history of being one. Theses pax buy on cost, not value, and so if BA can drive down costs the passengers will become more likely to fly them as they will see a cheap seat on, what they perceive to be, a premium carrier. I have many friends who talk about never flying low cost carriers again and only BA not realising that BA is just as bad these days but they still have the image of BA as better because that is the brand recognition they have built up.

For IAG its a win-win, they make more profits (same aircraft more pax) and it allows them to compete in the LCC market as they offer similar costs but people perceive a benefit of flying them as they think they have a better service.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald
Originally Posted by Gold Digger
Unbelievably, you are absolutely right - look at what appears on page 5 of the PDF of the slide pack which is available for download from the webcast

GD
Do you have a link for that .pdf please?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to delete the post you've quoted as I put it in the wrong place, but I shall elaborate slightly in terms of what I meant.

I feel sorry for occasional passengers who will no longer find the 777 cabins are comfortable.

Now, I haven't sat in longhaul Y for a long time, but FTers are different to occasional passengers in my opinion. As such, we get more worked up over issues like this - even if they won't affect us directly.

I felt the same when QR upped the seating in Y on the 777s last year, however, the reports back were actually favourable. I was massively surprised, from a personal perspective, but apparently the extra seat came from the aisle space opposed to anywhere else, meaning comfort levels stayed the same.

I believe I read that the aisles were a tad cramped, but they obviously meet health and safety regs, and aircraft evacuation rules too - so they can take an average passengers width with ease.

If BA choose to upgrade the IFE and seat covering etc during the process, then I'm sure it will cushion the blow.

M
My apologies for being unclear. I was referring to your reference to the reference in the slides to F capacity being reduced.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Gold Digger

GD
Good God, how unprofessional!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.