FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

BrianDromey Sep 29, 2016 3:50 am

In one sense this was an inevitable "upgrade". The complementary offering had been reduced to such an extent as to be (in my opinion) a negative differentiator from the BA brand. Customers familiar with BoB catering on most forms of transport, might have been surprised that their individually wrapped crisp couldn't be upgraded to something more substantial, even on band 4 flight.
As Cruz has pointed out, business travellers are likely to expense it, leisure travellers will pay it, so it's a win from a revenue point of view - how profitable is another matter, as I posted elsewhere.
The menu itself looks good, food prices are a bit less than I expected, drinks a bit more.
This is going to take a while to bed down, I'm sure the menu items will be adjusted, the prices altered a bit, availability toyed with. One thing I haven't seen is if Avios are earned on BoB purchases, as they are with highlife shop. At 5 Avios/£ (when paying with the BA Amex), its not all bad.

Noobflyer59 Sep 29, 2016 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 27278523)
There is a clear limit for short haul which is any flight branded with Euro Traveller/Club Europe cabins - that includes IST, ATH, LCA etc.

Any flight branded with World Traveller/Club World is long haul - that includes TLV, AMM, CAI, DME.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! And interesting when it comes to LCA which is closer to the WT destinations geographically.

markle Sep 29, 2016 3:51 am

I note that the drinks menu has no mention of Tomato Juice.

Mrs Markle will be inconsolable if she will no longer be able to have her in-flight Bloody Mary.

crazyanglaisy Sep 29, 2016 3:51 am

Originally Posted by simonrp84 (Post 27278396)
Just seen this gem on BA's twitter account:

They really do take their customers for mugs.

This is what really jars. If they came out and gave a clear and coherent account of why they were taking this unpopular step, they'd deserve a modicum of respect. As it is they always seem to defend these changes using fallacious reasoning, wrapped up in a distasteful blanket of business jargon, which leaves the customer feeling like they're being treated like idiots.

My view is that this change will not be received in the same way as other cutbacks that BA have made recently to the on-board product. Make the bag of crisps smaller, take away some cheese here and a tasting menu there, and people don't really notice because they're still getting their fill. Take away everything that was previously free and I expect the British public to be up in arms!

chris87 Sep 29, 2016 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Castle25 (Post 27278528)
Anyone received the email about what will happen to their already booked flight?

Yes, it was full of marketing speak for "Dear customer, screw you. Lots of love, British Airways".

LikeWaterForChocolate Sep 29, 2016 3:52 am

Originally Posted by englisha (Post 27278385)
My SOF-LHR flight in February, which I bought April this year has gone from a hot meal and drinks, to an enhanced sandwich with drinks, to enhanced paid sandwich with no drinks included.

Lucky for me that the lounge in Sofia is so well stocked with cheese triangles, peanuts and crisps.

Mrs LWFC and I, who fly this route regularly to see her folks and to take the mini human, are just debating whether it's just better to switch to (dare I say it) Wizz Air. Because ultimately, there is little difference between them now, apart from a significantly more expensive ticket. Leg room is non-existent on both, no complimentary food and drink on ether and generally it all going up the sh*tter for BA.

Whilst I have always liked BA and find most crews to be very nice and make an otherwise mediocre offering enjoyable, buy on board is no different to flying Wizz/Ryanair/Easyjet. The only difference being they don't try and mug you on price.

Ldnn1 Sep 29, 2016 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 27278355)
On my last BA shorthaul I had 4 wines - that's £20 on the menu now. I wouldn't be accepting two fingers.

My guess is that those who complain may get given a set number of avios per existing booking, perhaps enough for say one drink and one snack at the new avios payment prices.

Originally Posted by tom139 (Post 27278533)
BA customer relations have been instructed to give up to 1,000 Avios per passenger per booking to compensate which is enough for a 'drink and a snack'.

Also able to cancel for a full refund up to 28 days prior to departure.

Called it. :)

Springbok37 Sep 29, 2016 3:55 am

It seems BA has eventually decided to follow its sibling airline IB with the end of complimentary food and drinks, and start of 'buy onboard' menu
Quite a disappointment indeed, but sometimes it is best to have an option to buy better food and drinks onboard than eating very poor complimentary food

Prospero Sep 29, 2016 3:55 am

Originally Posted by markle (Post 27278538)
I note that the drinks menu has no mention of Tomato Juice.

Mrs Markle will be inconsolable if she will no longer be able to have her in-flight Bloody Mary.

And here I was trying to maintain a calm and composed outlook on today’s news. This snippet has just sent me off reservation :mad:

Waterhorse Sep 29, 2016 3:57 am

Only a Spaniard could think that charging £2.30 for a cup of tea onboard is a good idea. Mark today in your diary, it's the day that the BA brand was killed.

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 3:57 am

Will they be installing an M&S Simply Food store on each plane, complete with self-service checkout tills? :D

af101 Sep 29, 2016 3:58 am

Sigh. Does nobody at BA actually care about the medium term?

This will save money in the short term.

But when your business is an airline, your primary product is getting people from A to B. Your differentiators are convenience and service. Why reduce the service?

A P Yu Sep 29, 2016 3:59 am

They have to provide drinking water. Come on everybody, lets make sure we all ask for our free drinking water on these flights

ajbrowc Sep 29, 2016 4:00 am

I guess DME will go BoB as well, seeing as they only provide a sandwich at present.

A P Yu Sep 29, 2016 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Ziz (Post 27278496)
I'm looking forward to being able to get a hot sandwich on board.

Make sure your not sat at the back then.