FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

Calum Sep 29, 2016 4:54 am

Is it a coincidence that I received an invite from EZY to join Flight Club today?

stu1985 Sep 29, 2016 4:57 am

Originally Posted by compass31 (Post 27278718)
I don't have gold status so if there are freebies I won't qualify. What does this say to ppl who fly premium classes? I already feel like a second class citizen having part of my flight in economy.

No freebies for any status passengers - everyone treated the same.

LTN Phobia Sep 29, 2016 4:57 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 27278275)
The airport shops must be delighted as a percentage of people will bring on board (and then leave their rubbish for the crew to clear up).

I'm thinking possibly the other way round except for water, tea and coffee (except for the risk of a bus gate). Now that sandwiches and snacks are BoB but are available (whereas they weren't available either way) airport shops may sell less, especially with items available for Avios.

shefgab Sep 29, 2016 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll (Post 27278679)
They've just confirmed on Twitter that there will still be free drinking water.

Originally Posted by nux (Post 27278717)
Presumably from the pot water tank of the aircraft, as used to make tea/coffee.

That water is pretty disgusting. Boiling and brewing it for tea is one thing, drinking it straight is quite another.

http://lifehacker.com/dont-drink-wat...m-a-1557061680

While the exact water refill process probably varies by airline, the Wall Street Journal ran a test of tap water from 14 different flights in 2002 that found bacteria levels "tens, sometimes hundreds of times above U.S. government limits.
http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2008...ter-read-this/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1036110025940498271

Flexible preferences Sep 29, 2016 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Eskimoboy (Post 27278624)
I'm the same in that I've been happily paying £30-£50 more than the competition to fly BA on shorthaul (which now I type it makes me sound a bit of an idiot!)

I'm not so sure, you still get free lounge access, still earn free TP and Avios and (more often than not) get to fly from LHR which many people find convenient. Not to mention guaranteed connections on the BA network. For some people these will still be worth paying a premium for, and your £30-£50 doesn't sound idiotic at all.

binman Sep 29, 2016 5:00 am

Since I'm not close to London I always have to take a connecting flight from Manchester. Usually connecting to a club class flight altho my next connects to an F flight. It already feels lousy getting off an F flight and then squeezing into a row of six to return home. Now I have to put my hand in my pocket if I want a cuppa. I don't have gold status so if there are freebies I won't qualify. What does this say to ppl who fly premium classes? I already feel like a second class citizen having part of my flight in economy.

The domestic service offering is crap on every level and this just adds insult to injury.

I wonder if this is BA "Ratner Moment".....

ENTP Sep 29, 2016 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 27278738)
I'm not so sure, you still get free lounge access, still earn free TP and Avios and (more often than not) get to fly from LHR which many people find convenient. Not to mention guaranteed connections on the BA network. For some people these will still be worth paying a premium for, and your £30-£50 doesn't sound idiotic at all.

Errr ... £30-50 then another £20 on top for the stuff we currently get for free on the 2+ jaunts.

Kgmm77 Sep 29, 2016 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 27278701)
Not hilarious - it's absolutely true. Have you not seen how many people buy bottled water at inflated prices from places like Pret? Drives me insane!

if I'm travelling (by air/ through London/wherever) how do you expect people to get access to something to drink? Water fountains aren't exactly plentiful unlike in other countries.

Calchas Sep 29, 2016 5:02 am

Since I'm not close to London I always have to take a connecting flight from Manchester. Usually connecting to a club class flight altho my next connects to an F flight. It already feels lousy getting off an F flight and then squeezing into a row of six to return home. Now I have to put my hand in my pocket if I want a cuppa. I don't have gold status so if there are freebies I won't qualify. What does this say to ppl who fly premium classes? I already feel like a second class citizen having part of my flight in economy.

Indeed, the fact that full fare F connecting pax are included in this, on UK domestic, is faintly ridiculous.

nwmgc Sep 29, 2016 5:02 am

I do think that BA have not thought of the corporate effect. I prefer my staff to fly BA because they get 'fed' and watered without our having to process dozens of expense claims.

They may as well fly with whoever they like now - I bet EasyJet and Ryan Air can't believe their luck. BA's last-reason-to-prefer being dumped will provide a huge free boost to their sales. Utterly bizarre.

Flexible preferences Sep 29, 2016 5:05 am

Originally Posted by ENTP (Post 27278747)
Errr ... £30-50 then another £20 on top for the stuff we currently get for free on the 2+ jaunts.

Errr...No, Eskimoboy was talking about a comparison with the LCC's who of course already charge for food and drinks.

londonba2014 Sep 29, 2016 5:07 am

Don't think that the prices are that competitive when looking at the likes of EZY, who often do very good deals on meals or multiple drinks etc - along with the idea that fare is so much cheaper...

cosmo74 Sep 29, 2016 5:07 am

Originally Posted by wb1969 (Post 27278585)
I honestly believe that the only way BA brand can now survive is if they split off their shorthaul network and rename it, like Cathay and Dragonair, Singapore & Silk Air, Thai & Smile. To keep things as they are will only cause long term damage to the brand and reputation of BA.

Go Fly perhaps?

ENTP Sep 29, 2016 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 27278752)
Errr...No, Eskimoboy was talking about a comparison with the LCC's who of course already charge for food and drinks.

What, so BA are only £10-30 more than LCC currently?

MeltingAlf Sep 29, 2016 5:08 am

Originally Posted by pdsuk (Post 27278316)
My bolding and other font changes.

Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!

Percy Pigs are the best ...........

I scrolled, scrolled, scrolled down that menu hoping for some boiled sweets or wine gums... And Percy Pigs! :D

If only they could serve them free. :(