FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

nobbyclark Sep 29, 2016 6:55 am

Originally Posted by stu1985 (Post 27278441)
Just means all us status lot will have to have an extra few G&Ts in the lounge before boarding ;)

Exactly my thoughts.

MadProfessor Sep 29, 2016 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 27279086)
I doubt that will get very far. In most cases the food offering is upgraded. We will have to pay for it, sure, but it is an upgrade in choice certainly, and possibly quality, certainly over a bag of crisp or whatever.

But their claim is that they have upgraded the food and drink. The drink is the same but it's no longer free.

KARFA Sep 29, 2016 6:57 am

Originally Posted by MadProfessor (Post 27279120)
But their claim is that they have upgraded the food and drink. The drink is the same but it's no longer free.

This is exactly the point I have made in response to that BA line on twitter several times now.

dave31 Sep 29, 2016 6:59 am

I cannot believe this. British Airways, the flagship carrier for the United Kingdom around the world asking its customers to buy M&S sandwiches....... the act of a 'prestige' airline.
PATHETIC

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 6:59 am

Shouldn't they at least have aligned the menus to the time of the day?

In the same way that the food offering in the lounges was aligned?

Surely, between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and supper, no-one wants to eat, anyway?

:D:D:D

Calchas Sep 29, 2016 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 27279086)
I doubt that will get very far. In most cases the food offering is upgraded. We will have to pay for it, sure, but it is an upgrade in choice certainly, and possibly quality, certainly over a bag of crisp or whatever.

BA: Hello Flexible preferences, good news today, we've upgraded you on your flight to New York.
FP: Ah excellen---
BA: That'll be £3596 please.

:p ;)

ajbrowc Sep 29, 2016 7:00 am

I rang BA to complain about the service alteration for an existing booking, and they give me 1,000 avios. There was little point to cancel seeing as it was a RFS booking.

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 7:01 am

Originally Posted by stu1985 (Post 27278441)
Just means all us status lot will have to have an extra few G&Ts in the lounge before boarding ;)

I hope they will be providing doggy bags and sealable flasks in the lounges so passengers can more easily bring their tipples and nibbles on board!

wb1969 Sep 29, 2016 7:02 am

FTSE is up 1% but the BA share price is down 1.5% so the market clearly isn't impressed.

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 7:04 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wb1969 (Post 27279142)
share price is down 1.5% so the market clearly isn't impressed.

But M&S is up!!!

No doubt, after the successful rollout of the food offering, the cabin crew will be wheeling racks of clothing up and down the aisle, and flogging skirts, slacks, and casuals.

There will be no excuse left for remaining stuck in burgundy trousers on a BA flight!

orbitmic Sep 29, 2016 7:04 am

^ :D Here is to hoping that it gets worse.

Calchas Sep 29, 2016 7:05 am

There was an impressive slide this morning, but it's all within typical daily movement.

headingwest Sep 29, 2016 7:06 am

I'm sat in the lounge at LUX and I've just seen this news.

Shame on you BA management for driving BA's reputation into the ground. I will avoid BA like the plague after burning my Avios - and might even use them elsewhere. I hope the airline suffers.

VFRonTop Sep 29, 2016 7:06 am

My main issue with this is that while the offering before was meagre you were guaranteed to be served a drink and some sort of snack.

With the move to BoB this will simply not be the case. I imagine aircraft will have to be stocked in LHR for return legs too, on return journeys of longer flights Band 3/4 the cupboards will be bare. Ryanair and Easyjet have plenty of experience and data for BoB propositions and yet I can't count the times ive been told "sorry, we're out of XYZ" when flying with them. You grin and bare it on Ryanair flights because they have managed customer expectations into the ground. BA on the other hand continue to delude customers into thinking they are a premium carrier on short haul. If you inflate customer expectations but dont deliver on the experience no one is happy.

The other aspect of this that really annoys me is the bare face gual of calling his an upgrade / enhancement and that no reduction in price is to be expected. How can you argue that the unbundling of seat selection and baggage allowance is reflected in HBO fares but doing it to catering isn't the same

cosmo74 Sep 29, 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 27279133)
Shouldn't they at least have aligned the menus to the time of the day?

In the same way that the food offering in the lounges was aligned?

Surely, between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and supper, no-one wants to eat, anyway?

:D:D:D

Don't forget that BA thinks that no-one wants to eat at supper either - they are begrudgingly still offering sandwiches on board at lunchtime for the time being, but say that's the only time anyone ever eats them, hence the downgrade to the crisp or biscuit for the rest of the day, including supper.