FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

mikeyfly Sep 29, 2016 7:09 am

BA need a £1k exDUB deal to HNL, West Coast etc to knock this thread into at least third / fourth position!!

wb1969 Sep 29, 2016 7:11 am

According to BA, the definition of 'upgrade' is to offer a complimentary sandwich, take it away and substitute it for a crisp, then withdraw the free crisp and offer you the same sandwich, but this time you have to pay for it.

I need to go back to school, because I always thought an upgrade was an improvement on an existing product or service, normally for the same price.

BahrainLad Sep 29, 2016 7:11 am

"Our customers tell us we're great at running an airline..."

Not after this summer and FLYtastic they don't!

V10 Sep 29, 2016 7:11 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 27279151)
I hope the airline suffers.

I sort of appreciate the sentiment, however - the people that will end up doing the suffering will be the ordinary staff, and the people that should be suffering - BA's crap management - won't end up suffering at all.

Flexible preferences Sep 29, 2016 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 27279134)
BA: Hello Flexible preferences, good news today, we've upgraded you on your flight to New York.
FP: Ah excellen---
BA: That'll be £3596 please.

:p ;)

BA: Hello Mr Calchas, bad news I'm afraid, we're denying you POUG and AUG and UUA from now on, as all of which require payment and therefore in your view don't count as upgrades.

:p ;)

lsi Sep 29, 2016 7:12 am

Originally Posted by wb1969 (Post 27279172)
According to BA, the definition of 'upgrade' is to offer a complimentary sandwich, take it away and substitute it for a crisp, then withdraw the free crisp and offer you the same sandwich, but this time you have to pay for it.

I need to go back to school, because I always thought an upgrade was an improvement on an existing product or service, normally for the same price.

:D

As a consumer, I'll be upgrading my relationship with BA by taking away my money. :D

simons1 Sep 29, 2016 7:13 am

All good stuff, another watershed day in BA's ongoing descent into the also rans of the airline world.

The writing has been on the wall on BoB for so long, with the gradual reduction in catering from hot meals, to the crap in a wrap model, to the crisps and ambient snacks. Still it will be sad to see the end of Bevvie Airways.

The guys at Easyjet and Ryanair must be laughing themselves silly.

Still I predict that like most other enhancements the dust will eventually settle and in a year's time most of those who claim they will desert BA will still be using the airline, unable to give up the remaining trappings of status such as lounges and the Avios addiction. That is until the next major project to enhance the lounge access rules etc.

To Fly, To Serve.

To Eat.To Drink Sep 29, 2016 7:13 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 27279145)
But M&S is up!!!

No doubt, after the successful rollout of the food offering, the cabin crew will be wheeling racks of clothing up and down the aisle, and flogging skirts, slacks, and casuals.

There will be no excuse left for remaining stuck in burgundy trousers on a BA flight!

Let's see how long BA take to drag M&S's reputation down... I guarantee the food purchase that lands on the tray in front of you will not look like those launch images.

Coathanger Sep 29, 2016 7:14 am

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 27279175)
I sort of appreciate the sentiment, however - the people that will end up doing the suffering will be the ordinary staff, and the people that should be suffering - BA's crap management - won't end up suffering at all.

Sadly true.

Beaulieu Sep 29, 2016 7:14 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu (Post 27278976)
Can anyone with a reservation in First, but with a Domestic connection after this loco launch, share their 'Bespoke' email with us. Id like to see how the explanation to their F pax affected has been handled.

Sadly I haven't yet had an email at all, but I have two cash bookings with UK domestic connections onto long haul First at the moment. Rather looking forward to what they say... :rolleyes:

Flexible preferences Sep 29, 2016 7:15 am

Originally Posted by MadProfessor (Post 27279120)
But their claim is that they have upgraded the food and drink. The drink is the same but it's no longer free.

Yes, although hot drinks are upgraded (eg Java Republic coffee). Overall, including food, an upgrade? My guess, on balance, yes, but that is just my thoughts.

IAMORGAN Sep 29, 2016 7:15 am

Is the catering in F also complimentary but not included in the fare? How about oxygen?

cosmo74 Sep 29, 2016 7:15 am

Originally Posted by VFRonTop (Post 27279156)

The other aspect of this that really annoys me is the bare face gual of calling his an upgrade / enhancement and that no reduction in price is to be expected. How can you argue that the unbundling of seat selection and baggage allowance is reflected in HBO fares but doing it to catering isn't the same

I asked on twitter if they could explain how charging for something that was previously free was an upgrade and got one of their stock responses: "our current catering offering is complimentary. We're taking a new approach to offer customers the option to buy from their delicious and seasonally inspired menu. We hope we have the opportunity to share this with you"

Aside from the rubbish about the current catering not being included in the ticket price, I'd really like to know how a cheese sandwich, a beef sandwich or a packet of percy pigs, to pick three items at random, are seasonally inspired?

pennineuk Sep 29, 2016 7:16 am

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer (Post 27278311)
£1.80 for a water?

Bye bye, BA. No more short-haul revenue from me.

Paying for water is disgraceful, even a pub and restaurant has to give it to you for free.

darthlemsip Sep 29, 2016 7:17 am

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it won't be long until we see Iberia and BA shorthaul and Iberia Express merged into Vueling to take care of all of IAG's shorthaul - harmonising all three with BOB being the first step