FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

gpb_croppers63 Sep 29, 2016 6:12 am

Originally Posted by tuff (Post 27278848)
Not a problem for the Germans: according to friends who work for the Orange one the Germans spend the least on board of all nationalities.

That doesn't surprise me to be honest. I can just imagine the local outcry if Lufthansa tried to start selling food to the locals on board. It would not go down well with the passengers at all! ;) :D

windowontheAside Sep 29, 2016 6:14 am

Any insights on how CC will be compensated for this?

I can't imagine they'll be paid commission on top of existing pay deals as that would make them better off. So no commission? Or a future 'enhancement' of their existing deal?

sgm Sep 29, 2016 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C (Post 27278932)
I've got a request in to customer relations, via GGL, asking to cancel two of my ET bookings as I'll be going elsewhere. Currently awaiting a response.

That's the only way things will change.

Well done. I will be following you. Now that BA and Easyjet/Ryanair are equivalent, we should lobby our politicians to open up slots to low cost carriers at Heathrow. BA is high cost, low service and an airline which survives because of their slot advantages.

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 27278752)
Errr...No, Eskimoboy was talking about a comparison with the LCC's who of course already charge for food and drinks.

But to keep the comparison valid, you have to add in the extra £20 for the stuff-on-BA-that-previously-was-free-but-now-isn't. [that extra £20 was factored in to the LCC cost for comparison purposes because, as you rightly point out, they already charge for food and drinks. It must now be factored into the BA price differential, as they have said they are not reducing their fares]

dsf Sep 29, 2016 6:16 am

I think my blind mate might be a bit annoyed he'll not be able to hand over cash, the amount of which he can be sure of (unlike a card transaction).

A P Yu Sep 29, 2016 6:17 am

Can anyone with a reservation in First, but with a Domestic connection after this loco launch, share their 'Bespoke' email with us. Id like to see how the explanation to their F pax affected has been handled.

orbitmic Sep 29, 2016 6:18 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27278452)
I'm also in the "it could be worse" category. It does seem a better Buy on Board menu than Ryanair and easyJet, and a much better value menu than IB, EI and VY.

Oh don't you worry, it will continue worsening: wastage will lead to reduction of offer, insufficient profit will lead to price increases. The script is all written but BA just think we are sufficiently idiotic not to know how this will develop.

jmd Sep 29, 2016 6:19 am

Well this will be just hilarious on JER flights. On busy flights the crew barely get through the cabin as it is. I wouldn't bank on getting a g&t if you're in row 22...

The suggestion that they are not going to lower their fares is bonkers. I am currently looking at flights next week Jer-Lgw. EZ are much cheaper, at a comparable time. I have a PP card so have lounge access anyway. How on earth are BA now intending to compete at LGW??

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark (Post 27278763)
BA could have done this in a way that would not have impacted existing bookings, but chose not to. Not good.

They could have; but that would have made the job of the already-embattled staff even harder, faced with irate passengers being refused free F&B when others around get stuff for free.

I'm sorry, Sir. Yes, that gentleman got a free G&T and that lady got a free sandwich and coffee, but you see, they bought their ticket before 29 September 2016, so not only did they get a cheaper price for the flight, they also got free onboard catering. You, Sir, only booked last week, so although you paid twice as much as they did, you have to pay for your food, Sir!

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 6:21 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 27278774)
The lounges will have to stock up with snacks, crisps, biscuits, coke and tonic too :eek:.

They better chain all the alcohol bottles to the walls too!!!

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 6:26 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 27278870)
So have they confirmed what exactly "For any bookings you have in Club Europe or on long haul flights, the existing full complimentary food offering will continue to be served.
" means?

i.e. Pick from the BoB menu or the standard hot/cold meal.

Club Europe always had a different "menu" than Euro Traveller.
Longhaul always had a different "menu" than Euro Traveller.

You previously did not have the choice of selecting from the "menu" of a different cabin - and that won't change.

And there won't be a BoB offering on longhaul anyway, so there is no way anyone on a longhaul flight could "pick from the BoB menu or the standard hot/cold menu" anyway.

The catering provided for Club Europe and for Longhaul is in no way affected or changed - just because people behind the curtain on shorthaul will start to be plied with chargeable M&S items.

Waterhorse Sep 29, 2016 6:28 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74 (Post 27278758)
Go Fly perhaps?

BOAC and BEA maybe?

Quarky Quark Sep 29, 2016 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark http://cdn.flyertalk.com/forum/image...s/viewpost.gifBA could have done this in a way that would not have impacted existing bookings, but chose not to. Not good.

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 27278987)
They could have; but that would have made the job of the already-embattled staff even harder, faced with irate passengers being refused free F&B when others around get stuff for free.

I'm sorry, Sir. Yes, that gentleman got a free G&T and that lady got a free sandwich and coffee, but you see, they bought their ticket before 29 September 2016, so not only did they get a cheaper price for the flight, they also got free onboard catering. You, Sir, only booked last week, so although you paid twice as much as they did, you have to pay for your food, Sir!

I was thinking more along the lines of implementing this at d+355 when all tickets purchased in SH Y would be in scope for BoB

Calchas Sep 29, 2016 6:28 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 27279016)
You previously did not have the choice of selecting from the "menu" of a different cabin - and that won't change.

I once selected from the WT menu when they ran out of everything in the WT+ cabin :eek:

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 6:29 am

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63 (Post 27278915)
And they can't even tell the difference between "complimentary" and "complementary". ;)

And in that screengrab from the BA website, they can't spell "Stansted".