Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I wonder if TSA Pre will produce any benefits when departing LHR on BA… As, for example, on AA, where having TSA Pre now eliminates the additional security questions.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I wonder if TSA Pre will produce any benefits when departing LHR on BA… As, for example, on AA, where having TSA Pre now eliminates the additional security questions.
I have had GE almost since its inception and TSA Pre from the start. Neither has done anything for me with regards for additional screening at an airport outside the US. The last time I passed through LHR returning to the US was this past August.
aidy likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Schultzois
This makes sense... I've flown more than once from PHL (mostly AA) and occasionally they do not have a TSA lane at the security point closest to my departure. As a standard matter of course, if you have a TSA Pre boarding card, the person who matches your ID to the boarding card either stamps or puts a sticker on your boarding card (I'm not sure why that's necessary, since it's already printed in big letters, but anyway). You don't have exactly the same experience (I think you still have to unpack your bag, for instance), but at least things like shoes and belts stay on, and you're usually sent through old-school metal detectors instead of full-body-radiation scanners.

Remembering the space in T7 (which I haven't seen in a little while) I'd think if a TSA Pre lane opens it would have to be over as a section of the general area, since the premium security area only has the one set of equipment (unless that's changed - most of my JFK departures have been T8 in the recent past).
This happens a fair amount at airports where there are multiple access points, or where there are very high peaks at certain times, usually early morning and late afternoon to early evening; for a while JFK was closing its TSA Pre lane in T8 mid-day, and LAX INT-XZY connection lane in TBI has no TSAPre lane at all, nor did MIA from the BA side of the house (the security point close to the lounge). They have varying systems of identification for TSA pre folks, but all more or less follow the same system, yes, you take stuff out of your bags, but you don't need to remove coat or shoes and you go through the old school detector, assuming a FBS is even present. Last time I went through the BA side security point in MIA they gave me a placard of some bright color, so I could identify myself - save them checking boarding passes if you're in a longish line. Usually painful enough I will go through the other security check points even if, in MIA, this can mean a really long walk.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have had GE almost since its inception and TSA Pre from the start. Neither has done anything for me with regards for additional screening at an airport outside the US. The last time I passed through LHR returning to the US was this past August.
It changed in the autumn of 2017. Further controls were introduced, to avoid a cabin electronics ban across the Atlantic, which meant that BA went from a dozen SSSS a day globally, to up to 25% of every flight; US airlines also had to increase their controls, but the quid pro quo, after some airlines squeeled about the workload, was that outside high risk periods, TSA PreCheck no longer needs to go through the security questionnaire screening within the EEA. It would be nice to think that BA's TSA Precheck passengers won't get SSSS but I believe that hasn't been agreed.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
TSA PreCheck no longer needs to go through the security questionnaire screening within the EEA.
How does this work, whenever I've flown from the UK they simply quiz everybody?
Old May 9, 2018, 7:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
How does this work, whenever I've flown from the UK they simply quiz everybody?
If you are flying with PreCheck already on your boarding pass, you no longer need to be interviewed. Maybe they didn't spot it on your boarding pass? The easiest thing to do is to bring your App to the T3 Admirals Club and ask them to clear down the security flag for you. Then you can just walk on the aircraft. Getting to the gate too soon is also a mistake since someone may well ask you as you approach "has anyone not been screened yet", to which you may feel the need to give an honest answer.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are flying with PreCheck already on your boarding pass, you no longer need to be interviewed. Maybe they didn't spot it on your boarding pass? The easiest thing to do is to bring your App to the T3 Admirals Club and ask them to clear down the security flag for you. Then you can just walk on the aircraft. Getting to the gate too soon is also a mistake since someone may well ask you as you approach "has anyone not been screened yet", to which you may feel the need to give an honest answer.
I thought TSA Precheck only shows when flying from the USA.

Or is it now showing when leaving the EEA as well?

I've always been quizzed before checking in - or has that changed now? Never been quizzed at the gate, even prior to having global entry.

Maybe I need to look closer - to be fair my last flight was with BA to the USA, but had no quizzing on that as we were handed our boarding passes in Europe and just did a bag drop at the First Class Check in.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I thought TSA Precheck only shows when flying from the USA.

Or is it now showing when leaving the EEA as well?

I've always been quizzed before checking in - or has that changed now? Never been quizzed at the gate, even prior to having global entry.

Maybe I need to look closer - to be fair my last flight was with BA to the USA, but had no quizzing on that as we were handed our boarding passes in Europe and just did a bag drop at the First Class Check in.
BA has never deployed the quiz, they've not been trained by the DHS for it. SSSS is a different process as an alternative to the question screening. TSA Precheck has appeared on EEA boarding passes for just over 2 years now though on some boarding passes the "TSA PRE" wording is buried away. Not for AA in LHR, it's the usual size. I should point out, however that checking in baggage (something I and most PreChecks don't do) will lead to a set of questions anyway, it's basically HBO which get the gate or Flight Connection screening since they would have avoided check-in. Also, though the boarding pass says PreCheck, you still have the usual security controls in Europe.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
This happens a fair amount at airports where there are multiple access points, or where there are very high peaks at certain times, usually early morning and late afternoon to early evening; for a while JFK was closing its TSA Pre lane in T8 mid-day, and LAX INT-XZY connection lane in TBI has no TSAPre lane at all, nor did MIA from the BA side of the house (the security point close to the lounge). They have varying systems of identification for TSA pre folks, but all more or less follow the same system, yes, you take stuff out of your bags, but you don't need to remove coat or shoes and you go through the old school detector, assuming a FBS is even present. Last time I went through the BA side security point in MIA they gave me a placard of some bright color, so I could identify myself - save them checking boarding passes if you're in a longish line. Usually painful enough I will go through the other security check points even if, in MIA, this can mean a really long walk.
It is dubbed "Pre-Check Lite" and now relatively uniformly involves handing the passenger a laminated card at the ID checkpoint which the passenger presents to the screener who directs the passenger through a mag not the more thorough machine. While one must still unpack laptops and 3-1-1 bag, one may wear shoes and light jacket through the mag.

While the experience is a bit faster within the checkpoint, the lack of a separate line means that one is stuck waiting to get to the ID checker.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
... Last time I went through the BA side security point in MIA they gave me a placard of some bright color, so I could identify myself - save them checking boarding passes if you're in a longish line. Usually painful enough I will go through the other security check points even if, in MIA, this can mean a really long walk.
The first time I ran into this type of scenario in PHL, lines were light, I was a bit unfamiliar with the airport layout, and TSA gave me the impression that I'd have to go to another terminal for Pre. So I did the "Lite" right there, and even that was annoying enough in that even a short line was slow enough with all the full searches ahead of me.
Since then, I've walked to the other checkpoint, even though it may involve going outside, walking from one curbside drop area to the next, and walking back in again. Not a long walk, but not a nice one in the rain or freezing cold!
Old May 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

TSA-Pre for BA leaving the US.

When I left ORD last month check in staff at the BA counter said they had never heard of Pre-check for BA flights. Is there any way to get a pre-check boarding pass for USA-UK BA flights?
Old May 9, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Definitas
When I left ORD last month check in staff at the BA counter said they had never heard of Pre-check for BA flights. Is there any way to get a pre-check boarding pass for USA-UK BA flights?
Yes, for AA originating flights see post 333. For BA originating flights see post 334. Further examples of this working can be seen in other posts around these. This only started 1 May (or possibly the days before).
Old May 9, 2018, 3:23 pm

I had my KTN Handy but the BA check in staff were oblivious to the process. I’ll try again in July. I will keep an eye on the thread and update my experience when I come back

................sorry for being thick! I’ve just realised that the process itself only started in May, not the thread! Fingers crossed for our next trip
Old May 9, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Ok, so tried to upload a photo, but that didn’t work, but today checking in for flight from jfk to lhr got a message in the app that if you have a KTN please note that mobile BP’s are not currently TSA PreCheck enabled. Please print BP or collect at airport. So things seem to be moving along.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Upupintheair
Please print BP or collect at airport. So things seem to be moving along.
Interesting, since this implies self printed boarding passes now work, as well as BPs from the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.