Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
EF says seat next to me blocked so probably.......
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by chris1979
do we know if the dynamic / logic / algorithm is 'live' / moves with me?

a/c swap means I am no longer in the e/e row. (sadly, no my flights to alert me). so have moved myself at OLCI to a random old row taking a window seat (which I wouldn't normally do for a flight this length). whole row was empty. will fly now block the seats next to me or was that sort of only next to my previous seat?
I believe so, only done it twice, but when I have changed to another seat it seems to automatically block the next seat within 72 hours. However if the plane is rammed then it will obviously be released and likely given your status one of the last.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
do we know if the dynamic / logic / algorithm is 'live' / moves with me?

a/c swap means I am no longer in the e/e row. (sadly, no my flights to alert me). so have moved myself at OLCI to a random old row taking a window seat (which I wouldn't normally do for a flight this length). whole row was empty. will fly now block the seats next to me or was that sort of only next to my previous seat?
Yes it does

This week, before T-72, some status holder had taken the aisle seat next to my window seat on row 18 on a 767
I noticed at T-72 when I checked on expert flyer and saw both 18A and 18B occupied So I moved myself forward to one of the 2 free seats on row 14
Checking immediately on EF you could see the seat I vacated on row 18 was blocked for the status holder remaining on the row and the seat next to me on row 14 was also blocked.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold

a/c swap means I am no longer in the e/e row. (sadly, no my flights to alert me)....
I'm using Expertflyer to alert me when there's an aircraft change. It might not have a 100% correlation with how My Flights used to work with seat changes, but it's saved me a couple of times now where I have been chucked unceremoniously to the back of a 319
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I'm using Expertflyer to alert me when there's an aircraft change. It might not have a 100% correlation with how My Flights used to work with seat changes, but it's saved me a couple of times now where I have been chucked unceremoniously to the back of a 319
might have to look into this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Great Thread! Thank you everyone who contributed.

I found this as I am on the 218 tonight to London and checked in last night and selected 28J, which is a pretty good economy seat for us tall people. This morning looked at the app and am in 40J. Which is a middle seat farther in the back. I am hoping that means that the window and aisle seats are blocked (they are not select-able in MMB).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by bronco122
Great Thread! Thank you everyone who contributed.

I found this as I am on the 218 tonight to London and checked in last night and selected 28J, which is a pretty good economy seat for us tall people. This morning looked at the app and am in 40J. Which is a middle seat farther in the back. I am hoping that means that the window and aisle seats are blocked (they are not select-able in MMB).
You had a plane change to a super-high-J 747. Windows are almost all taken. Aisles are not. Ask at the airport - they should be able to move you where you want - but get there early.

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing DEN on 19/02/18 for LHR
Flying BA flight 218 in First, Business/Club, Premium Economy, Economy

A   B   C       D   E   F   G       H   J   K   
39                                          -   +   -       
40      +   X   -       -   +   +   +       -   -   X       
41      -   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   -       
42      -   +   -       -   +   +   -       -   +   -       
43      -   -   X       -   +   -   H       X   -   -       
44      -   +   -       -   +   +   H       -   -   -       
45      -   +   H       H   +   +   H       -   +   -       
46      -   X   -       -   -   X   H       H   +   -       
47      -   +   H       H   +   +   -       -   X   -       
48      -   X   -       H   +   X   -       H   +   -       
49      -   -   -       H   +   +   H       H   +   -       

50      X   X   X       H   +   +   -       H   +   -       
51          X   -       H   +   +   H       -   -           
52          -   -       H   +   +   H       H   -           
53          +   -       H   +   +   H       -   X           
54                      H   +   +   H                       
55                      +   X   X   X                       

Seats
Premium Only             P                        
Available                +                        
Handicap-Accessible      H                        
Paid & Premium           #                        
Occupied                 -                        
Blocked                  X                        
Lavatory                 L                        
Paid                     $                        

Wing                     W                        
Upper Deck               U
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:39 pm

Thank you!

I will get there early, partially due to the snow we are getting here today.

I was hoping this was due to the things mentioned in this thread, but guess not. I was fine with the move if they were trying to give me a whole row - but if not I am a bit miffed they moved me from the best seat in economy to a middle seat farther back. I am going to go back into OLCI and grab myself a aisle to be safe.

Interestingly, on ONCI I can only even see rows 39 and back. The forward econ seats I cant even see anymore.

EDIT: I am not as seasoned as some here are. I just realized I cant see ahead of 39 and the reason for the move was the type of plane changed. I'm not really up to date on all the different aircraft configs.

Originally Posted by MPH1980
You had a plane change to a super-high-J 747. Windows are almost all taken. Aisles are not. Ask at the airport - they should be able to move you where you want - but get there early.

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.comSeat Map Search:
Departing DEN on 19/02/18 for LHR
Flying BA flight 218 in First, Business/Club, Premium Economy, Economy

A B C D E F G H J K
39 - + -
40 + X - - + + + - - X
41 - - - - - - - - - -
42 - + - - + + - - + -
43 - - X - + - H X - -
44 - + - - + + H - - -
45 - + H H + + H - + -
46 - X - - - X H H + -
47 - + H H + + - - X -
48 - X - H + X - H + -
49 - - - H + + H H + -
A B C D E F G H J K

A B C D E F G H J K
50 X X X H + + - H + -
51 X - H + + H - -
52 - - H + + H H -
53 + - H + + H - X
54 H + + H
55 + X X X
A B C D E F G H J K

Seats
Premium Only P
Available +
Handicap-Accessible H
Paid & Premium #
Occupied -
Blocked X
Lavatory L
Paid $

Wing W
Upper Deck U
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by bronco122
Thank you!

I will get there early, partially due to the snow we are getting here today.

I was hoping this was due to the things mentioned in this thread, but guess not. I was fine with the move if they were trying to give me a whole row - but if not I am a bit miffed they moved me from the best seat in economy to a middle seat farther back. I am going to go back into OLCI and grab myself a aisle to be safe.

Interestingly, on ONCI I can only even see rows 39 and back. The forward econ seats I cant even see anymore.
That's because of the plane change.

Your original plane: British Airways B747-400 14F/52J/36W/235Y Seat Map

Your new plane: British Airways B747-400 14F/86J/30W/145Y Seat Map
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980
That's because of the plane change.

Your original plane: British Airways B747-400 14F/52J/36W/235Y Seat Map

Your new plane: British Airways B747-400 14F/86J/30W/145Y Seat Map
Thanks! I realized that after I posted. It all makes sense now. I went in and grabbed a aisle seat to be safe. And when I get to the airport, will see if they are selling any upgrades to biz. The 9 hour flight is going to a bit longer today, as they will have to deice the plane for sure, which usually adds another hour for a plane as large as the 747.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It seems like at least some flight attendants are aware of seats being blocked for status passengers. On a High-J 747 recently, I was in 64K and 64J was blocked, and similarly 64B was blocked for I assume a status passenger in 64A. The only seats showing available on EF were 63B/J. During boarding a passenger came upstairs and asked an FA if he could move upstairs, and she said 'I can offer you 63B/J', even though 64B/J were also free.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Rare to get the 86J from T3 - nice treat for those passengers
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Rare to get the 86J from T3 - nice treat for those passengers
I'm in economy but am still looking forward to it. The BA218/219 is 90% of what I fly on BA and I dont think I have been on this config before.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:25 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Am flying LHR - VIE 1stMarch (one way, exit row window) and LHR - OSL rtn mid May (exit row middle for both) and none of the seats around me have been blocked for any of the flights. I am BA Gold, am I missing something?

Have now put the person (bronze) in am travelling on the OSL legs with in the aisle seat, no chance the window will be blocked?

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Paul Coles
Am flying LHR - VIE 1stMarch (one way, exit row window) and LHR - OSL rtn mid May (exit row middle for both) and none of the seats around me have been blocked for any of the flights. I am BA Gold, am I missing something?
TS only kicks in 3 days before departure. See post 1 for more information. Your best bet is to put yourself in the middle seat and the other passenger in the aisle, but move if someone takes the window seat. At T-72 hrs, and assuming the flight isn't full, you may get the TS block. Being towards the back of the aircraft will improve your chances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.